zoomfloppy Board not detectiong at all

tamggot...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2016, 10:01:10 PM6/28/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
plugged in the zoomfloppy from usb to pc.
No detection of the ZF board even being plugged in win windows 10
also tried on an XP laptop same results no detecting device no nothing but a blue light.
device manager does not see it being plugged in either on either 2 pc's

upon plugging the 1541 into the ZF drive light constantly illuminates and motor keeps turning until I pull the usb cord.

help plz

RETRO Innovations

Jun 28, 2016, 10:25:52 PM6/28/16
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com

My apologies.  Due to the incredible delay in getting the newest shipment of units here, we rushed to get them out to buyers and it appears we missed programming one.  But, it's not a big issue, the code to program is in the driver installation.

Plug it in, and do the following:

(I would do so on Windows 7, as opencbm is easier to install on there)

install opencbm (the release version as referenced on the go4retro.com web site)

go to a command prompt

cd to c:\opencbm

Type: firmware-update.bat

hit <enter>

Your unit will now be functional.

Or, mail it back, and I can program it, all postage paid by me.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2016, 6:31:42 PM7/25/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hallo Jim, first of all thanks for the ZoomFloppy!

I seem to have a similar problem (behavior as described below), but it has worked well for many weeks. Strange though, that this failure, as far as I remember now, seems to has occurred already several times, and has each time made me believe my old drives have gone bad. But testing them with a real commodore shows that they are functional. Inbetween it worked well.

Now perhaps the same update would help? But I have it running under Ubuntu. Where is the script in this case, or how do I update the firmware from Ubuntu? Or do I have to use a windows PC for that?

Thanks in advance!

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 4:25:52 AM UTC+2, Jim Brain wrote:
On 6/28/2016 9:01 PM, tamggot...@gmail.com wrote:
plugged in the zoomfloppy from usb to pc.
No detection of the ZF board even being plugged in win windows 10
also tried on an XP laptop same results no detecting device no nothing but a blue light.
device manager does not see it being plugged in either on either 2 pc's

upon plugging the 1541 into the ZF drive light constantly illuminates and motor keeps turning until I pull the usb cord.

help plz

My apologies.  Due to the incredible delay in getting the newest shipment of units here, we rushed to get them out to buyers and it appears we missed programming one.  But, it's not a big issue, the code to program is in the driver installation.

Plug it in, and do the following:

(I would do so on Windows 7, as opencbm is easier to install on there)

install opencbm (the release version as referenced on the go4retro.com - tracked web site)

go to a command prompt

cd to c:\opencbm

Type: firmware-update.bat

hit <enter>

Your unit will now be functional.

Or, mail it back, and I can program it, all postage paid by me.

Jim

RETRO Innovations

Jul 25, 2016, 11:08:35 PM7/25/16
On 7/25/2016 5:31 PM, blondm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hallo Jim, first of all thanks for the ZoomFloppy!
>
> I seem to have a similar problem (behavior as described below), but it
> has worked well for many weeks. Strange though, that this failure, as
> far as I remember now, seems to has occurred already several times,
> and has each time made me believe my old drives have gone bad. But
> testing them with a real commodore shows that they are functional.
> Inbetween it worked well.
>
> Now perhaps the same update would help? But I have it running under
> Ubuntu. Where is the script in this case, or how do I update the
> firmware from Ubuntu? Or do I have to use a windows PC for that?
Hmm, the update might help. But, if the unit was working, and now it is
failing, that sounds like a different issue.

The opencbm folks would be best to answer the question about reflashing,
but I believe the same utilities are available in all platforms.
Obviously, the directories will differ, but the commands should still be
there.

Jim

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 3:00:27 AM7/26/16
to ZoomFloppy Users

I think you are right, since it has worked already, there should be another problem. So I thought that it might not get enough power through the USB cable? That attempt has not been successful so far.

So the next step will be to test it on another PC.

In this situation I want to analyze and test and rule out as much as possible so that I may avoid sending it back to you. Is there any text that describes how to diagnose it thoroughly?

I have been eager never to plug the IEC cable while the ZoomFloppy was on. Is there anything other mistake in plugging, switching on/off, I should avoid?

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 6:33:16 AM7/26/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Good news, it works perfectly under Windows 7 x64. So thanks, Jim, for your answer and attention and readiness, from here on it is a purely private discussion between me and my Ubuntu-PC!

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jul 26, 2016, 2:42:11 PM7/26/16
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

* On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:08:20PM -0500 RETRO Innovations wrote:

> The opencbm folks would be best to answer the question about reflashing, but
> I believe the same utilities are available in all platforms. Obviously, the
> directories will differ, but the commands should still be there.

xum1541cfg can be found in the directory xum1541cfg/ of the source
tarball or of the git. It is used exactly the same like on Windows.

Note that it is not compiled automatically, you have to invoke make in
xum1541cfg/ yourself (by issuing "make -f LINUX/Makefile").

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jul 26, 2016, 2:45:23 PM7/26/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello,
I am not sure.

You are not the first person who reports problems with Ubuntu systems.
Interestingly, in the other report, the problem occurred only in 64 bit
Ubuntu versions, not in 32 bit.

Even more interestingly, even though I am using Debian myself, I could
not reproduce the problem here myself.

Does your ZoomFloppy get enumerated when you plug it in, but it does not
work (the command dmesg can help here)? Does the device appear under
/sys/bus/usb/devices/?

I am definitely interested in solving this issue. If it is not
considered appropriate on this list, we could change to PM, though.

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2016, 6:07:36 PM7/26/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
http://www.trikaliotis.net/ - tracked

Hallo Spiro, if you like I can mail to you, too,but I don't mind discussing it here (might be useful for others) and I am ready to execute any test you like on my system. But here, for now, some answers:

1. I am using the latest 64 bit Ubuntu, and the ZoomFloppy has worked well most of the time. Still did not find out the reason why it has stopped yesterday. (By the way, the other 1541-II really doesn't work, I was wrong with this remark).

2. I also know this one about the dev file, because whenever I plug it in, I manually chmod the file, not yet been able to automatize this (probably just too lazy to RTFM). ;-) So yes, even in the dysfunctional state, the usb device is created on every new plugin and deleted on unplug. What fails is the detect call. It never terminates, unless you issue another command, in which case it says

previous command was interrupted, resetting

My cheap guess was a lack of voltage due to too many USB devices, but then, that would not depend on 32/64 bits, so not likely.

So, whatever diagnostics you'd like me to run, just tell me!

Regards

Ethan Dicks

Jul 26, 2016, 6:27:16 PM7/26/16
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM, <blondm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You are not the first person who reports problems with Ubuntu systems.
>> Interestingly, in the other report, the problem occurred only in 64 bit
>> Ubuntu versions, not in 32 bit.

>> 2. I also know this one about the dev file, because whenever I plug it in,
>> I manually chmod the file, not yet been able to automatize this (probably
>> just too lazy to RTFM). ;-) So yes, even in the dysfunctional state, the usb
>> device is created on every new plugin and deleted on unplug.

I too have been too lazy to fully automate this issue on my own Linux
Mint laptop. I just have a script I manually fire off when I plug the
ZF in. If I forget, I get an error and kick off the script before
going back to ZF commands.

-ethan

RETRO Innovations

Jul 27, 2016, 1:16:40 PM7/27/16
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com

I think diagnosis of ZoomFloppy working on Ubuntu is entirely appropriate.  Let's hope we can nail down the concern.

Jim

www.go4retro.com

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2016, 1:35:43 PM7/27/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
READY.

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2016, 5:44:13 AM7/29/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
I am still ready and waiting for diagnostic instructions, and I don't mind at all if it takes more time. But I am not sure whether I got the situation right. Is the information I have given already sufficient? Or is it a matter of time? Do you prefer email? Please tell me in case of a missunderstanding.

Per default I just carry on waiting. ;-)

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jul 29, 2016, 3:50:10 PM7/29/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello,

* On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 02:44:13AM -0700 blondm...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am still ready and waiting for diagnostic instructions, and I don't mind at
> all if it takes more time. But I am not sure whether I got the situation right.
> Is the information I have given already sufficient? Or is it a matter of time?
> Do you prefer email? Please tell me in case of a missunderstanding.

It's all ok. For answer surprised me, as I expected Ubuntu having
problems recognizing your device, but this seems not to be the case.

Thus, I will have to instrument the code a little bit (add debugging
output) in order to be able to get meaningful results that might help
me. Unfortunately, this code must be written, that's why I did not come
to you yet, as I am missing that time.

A first test might be that you try to run cbmctrl status or cbmctrl
reset with a prefix:

$ XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl reset

and give me the output.

Spiro Trikaliotis

Jul 29, 2016, 3:52:27 PM7/29/16
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ethan,
Doesn't xum1541/udev/45-opencbm-xum1541.rules help? Copy it into
/etc/udev/rules.d/, it will give all members of the group "users" the
necessary right to use the ZF. Feel free to adjust the group name
"users" to anything that fits you.

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2016, 6:15:59 PM7/29/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
It's all ok. For answer surprised me, as I expected Ubuntu having
problems recognizing your device, but this seems not to be the case.

Thus, I will have to instrument the code a little bit (add debugging
output) in order to be able to get meaningful results that might help
me. Unfortunately, this code must be written, that's why I did not come
to you yet, as I am missing that time.

A first test might be that you try to run cbmctrl status or cbmctrl
reset with a prefix:

$ XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl reset

and give me the output.

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
http://www.trikaliotis.net/ - tracked

Thats fine with me, thanks for the answer!

OK; here is what happens:

First - regarding the second issue. My /etc/udev/rules.d/45-opencbm-xum1541.rules looks like this:
_____
SUBSYSTEM!="usb_device", ACTION!="add", GOTO="opencbm_rules_end"

# xum1541
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16d0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0504", MODE="0666", GROUP="users"

LABEL="opencbm_rules_end"
_____

and doesn't work as expected. I still have to chmod every time, but this is not a big issue for me, and I guess it will be a simple and stupid error on my side (such as the wrong group) so no stress with that.

the main test:

$ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl reset
[XUM1541] scanning usb ...
[XUM1541] scanning bus 002
[XUM1541] device 16d0:0504 at 007
[XUM1541] found xu/xum1541 version 0207 on bus 002, device 007
[XUM1541] xum1541 name: xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)
[XUM1541] xum1541 serial number:   0
[XUM1541] firmware version 7, library version 7
[XUM1541] device capabilities 03 status 01

previous command was interrupted, resetting
[XUM1541] [xum1541_init] No tape support.
[XUM1541] control msg 2
[XUM1541] Closing USB link

The reset command terminates quickly. Lets see what happens if I do the same with detect:

$ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl detect
[XUM1541] scanning usb ...
[XUM1541] scanning bus 002
[XUM1541] device 16d0:0504 at 007
[XUM1541] found xu/xum1541 version 0207 on bus 002, device 007
[XUM1541] xum1541 name: xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)
[XUM1541] xum1541 serial number:   0
[XUM1541] firmware version 7, library version 7
[XUM1541] device capabilities 03 status 00
[XUM1541] [xum1541_init] No tape support.
[XUM1541] write 16 2 bytes from address 0x7fff7ddeed50 flags 2
[XUM1541] wrote 2 bytes
[XUM1541] xum1541_wait_status checking for status

.. and this does not terminate. Looking forward to see what you make of it. ;-)

(By the way: "tape support"? Is there actually a ZoomFloppy with tape support? I would LOVE that!)

blondm...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2016, 6:28:26 PM7/29/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
I forgot, you wanted the status, too:

$ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl status 8

[XUM1541] scanning usb ...
[XUM1541] scanning bus 002
[XUM1541] device 16d0:0504 at 007
[XUM1541] found xu/xum1541 version 0207 on bus 002, device 007
[XUM1541] xum1541 name: xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)
[XUM1541] xum1541 serial number:   0
[XUM1541] firmware version 7, library version 7
[XUM1541] device capabilities 03 status 00
[XUM1541] [xum1541_init] No tape support.
[XUM1541] write 16 2 bytes from address 0x7ffc837f2c60 flags 3

[XUM1541] wrote 2 bytes
[XUM1541] xum1541_wait_status checking for status

Does not terminate either. But all that works under Windows 7 x64 on the other PC, so it is neither the ZoomFloppy nor the 1541.

Nate Lawson

Jul 31, 2016, 7:36:01 PM7/31/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net

> On Jul 29, 2016, at 3:15 PM, blondm...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> [XUM1541] write 16 2 bytes from address 0x7fff7ddeed50 flags 2
> [XUM1541] wrote 2 bytes
> [XUM1541] xum1541_wait_status checking for status
>
> .. and this does not terminate. Looking forward to see what you make of it. ;-)

No idea what’s causing it, but basically you’re not able to read any data back from the ZF over USB.

> (By the way: "tape support"? Is there actually a ZoomFloppy with tape support? I would LOVE that!)

Yep, the ZoomTape add-on. It’s not for commercial sale yet though.

http://www.go4retro.com/2011/09/15/zoomfloppy-tape-support/

-Nate

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2016, 6:12:05 AM8/1/16

On Monday, August 1, 2016 at 1:36:01 AM UTC+2, Nate Lawson wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2016, at 3:15 PM, blondm...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> [XUM1541] write 16 2 bytes from address 0x7fff7ddeed50 flags 2
> [XUM1541] wrote 2 bytes
> [XUM1541] xum1541_wait_status checking for status
>
> .. and this does not terminate. Looking forward to see what you make of it. ;-)

No idea what’s causing it, but basically you’re not able to read any data back from the ZF over USB.

Perhaps I am right with my intuition (triggered by some other post somewhere) that it might me a lack of voltage? I am not good in electronics, but at least it would make sense with otherwise functioning hard- and software (It did work and it works on another PC). Perhaps someone might make a test with overusage of USB devices, and I am going to make a similar test here with reduced USB load as soon as I find the time.

> (By the way: "tape support"? Is there actually a ZoomFloppy with tape support? I would LOVE that!)

Yep, the ZoomTape add-on. It’s not for commercial sale yet though.

http://www.go4retro.com/2011/09/15/zoomfloppy-tape-support/ - tracked

-Nate

In the moment it goes commercial, I will be one of the first to order it. I am only waiting for a piece like this. So truly thanks for this development!

Ethan Dicks

Aug 1, 2016, 6:36:36 PM8/1/16
On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Nate Lawson <na...@root.org> wrote:
>> (By the way: "tape support"? Is there actually a ZoomFloppy with tape support? I would LOVE that!)
>
> Yep, the ZoomTape add-on. It’s not for commercial sale yet though.
>
> http://www.go4retro.com/2011/09/15/zoomfloppy-tape-support/

Hmm... I better find some replacement rubber belts - I have 2-3
C2N/1530 drives that have no traction. Unfortunately, all the belts I
find online are from the UK with shipping that far exceeds the cost of
the belt in the first place ($10-$12 each including shipping, for a
rubber band)

The numbers I have are 80mm dia / 251mm length, 1.2mm across, square belt.

I've read most of my old PET tapes, but I have a handful of PET
Rabbit-format tapes I still need to pull data off of, so I'm buying
belts no matter what. It'll be cool to be able to read tapes via the
ZoomFloppy, though. Long ago, I made a C2N adapter for a PC parallel
port and used a DOS app to get my data. Obviously, that's not a
preferred method any longer.

-ethan

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2016, 3:28:55 AM8/2/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Thanks for the hint and the valuable information!

My preferred method would be to read the tapes into WAF files and store them like this, or as TAP files. Unfortunately many of my tapes have been recorded with unaligned heads. So this did not work at all, because my old tape recorder does not allow head alignment. I tried to find one that could be aligned, but wasn't successful until today.

Currently I am busy reading each one of them with my C64 and VC1530, using the screw driver a lot, several attempts until it loads error free (and that works well). Now I have them (as good as possible) on FD4000 disks, from which there is still no direct way to the PC (so perhaps one day there will be a way to read the FD4000 by ZoomFloppy? That would be grea!), so I have to copy to 1541 and then to PC. But of course, then they lose their "tape character".

I would also like that cable (X1530?), but I am not at all good or even expecienced in making such things myself, and it is not available on the net. So there are many partial and even close to complete solutions, but none of them is perfect yet. ;-)

As for the shipping and customs, in this case luckily, I live in the EU (in case of the Zoom Floppy that was not so lucky), so I might order just quick enough before the UK officially goes Brexit.

Pontus Berg

Aug 2, 2016, 3:43:45 AM8/2/16
to ZoomFloppy Users

Reading the page;

"Arnd Menge has delivered the first set of patches allowing ZoomFloppy to interface with 1530/1531 tape hardware.  In the coming days, Arnd hopes to complete development of this new feature, and I am looking into creating a daughtercard that will attach to the ZoomFloppy via the X5 expansion connector.

Obviously, such support is alpha at present, but the device is proving very versatile with the recent improvements!"

Please mind "need to few days" in a post from 2011. I'm not holding my breath.

Bordering Off topic, preservation is pressing, as digital rot eats bits every day so I would like to bring forward this:

So you need either to use the native hardware where the program Spectacular copy but better is one of Luigi's interfaces:

https://luigidifraia.wordpress.com
http://blog.worldofjani.com/?p=3318

My general description :
http://bergatrollet.se/blog/2016/01/preserve-your-commodore64-media/

Greg King

Aug 2, 2016, 6:22:12 PM8/2/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
ZoomFloppy and OpenCBM can read/write all IEC- (VIC-bus) and IEEE- (GPIB) compatible devices.  That includes Creative Micro Designs' hard and floppy drives.  You might not be able to do fast copying with the FD4000; but, all normal (slow) operations are supported.

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 3:28:55 AM UTC-4, blondm...@gmail.com wrote:

 My preferred method would be to read the tapes into WAF files; and, store them like that, or as TAP files. Unfortunately, many of my tapes have been recorded with unaligned heads. So, that did not work, at all, because my old tape recorder does not allow head alignment. I tried to find one that could be aligned; but, wasn't successful until today.

Currently, I am busy reading each one of them with my C64 and VC1530, using the screw driver a lot, several attempts until it loads error free (and, that works well). Now, I have them (as good as possible) on FD4000 disks, from which there is still no direct way to the PC (so, perhaps one day there will be a way to read the FD4000 by ZoomFloppy? That would be grea!); so, I have to copy to 1541 and then to PC. But of course, then they lose their "tape character".

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2016, 11:30:45 PM8/10/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Thanks indeen for this hint! My FD4000 WORKS with the ZoomFloppy on my windows PC. That also didn't work on my Ubuntu-PC (another hidden symptom in this case!), so until yesterday I thought it wasn't meant to work at all. Learnt something new, and glad about it!

Spiro Trikaliotis

Aug 25, 2016, 4:04:29 PM8/25/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello,

I am sorry for the late reply, I tried to reproduce this here. I
installed Ubuntu 32 and 64 bit versions, did different checks,
cross-checks, but somehow, I was not able to reproduce the problem here.
Not even with the device that was sent to me because of exactly that
problem.

To be honest, I do not have a clue *what* to search for, so I do not
even know which debugging outputs to add. :( In fact, I am completely
clueless of what this problem might be.

* On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 03:28:26PM -0700 blondm...@gmail.com wrote:

> $ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl status 8

[...]

If you still have time, would you mind issuing

$ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 USB_DEBUG=9 cbmctrl reset

and

$ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 USB_DEBUG=9 cbmctrl status 8

and give these outputs, too?

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 6:20:51 PM8/25/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
Here they come:

$ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 USB_DEBUG=9 cbmctrl reset
[XUM1541] scanning usb ...
usb_set_debug: Setting debugging level to 9 (on)
usb_os_init: Found USB VFS at /dev/bus/usb
usb_os_find_busses: Found 002
usb_os_find_busses: Found 001
usb_os_find_devices: Found 006 on 002
usb_os_find_devices: Found 005 on 002
usb_os_find_devices: Found 004 on 002
usb_os_find_devices: Found 003 on 002
usb_os_find_devices: Found 002 on 002
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 002
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
usb_os_find_devices: Found 005 on 001
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: Found 004 on 001
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: Found 003 on 001
skipped 1 class/vendor specific interface descriptors
usb_os_find_devices: Found 002 on 001
usb_os_find_devices: Found 001 on 001
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[XUM1541] scanning bus 002
[XUM1541] device 16d0:0504 at 006
[XUM1541] found xu/xum1541 version 0207 on bus 002, device 006
[...]

[XUM1541] write 16 2 bytes from address 0x7ffff60881d0 flags 3
[XUM1541] wrote 2 bytes
[XUM1541] xum1541_wait_status checking for status

.. which never comes back. Only a ^C interrupts here.

$ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl reset
[XUM1541] scanning usb ...
[XUM1541] scanning bus 002
[XUM1541] device 16d0:0504 at 006
[XUM1541] found xu/xum1541 version 0207 on bus 002, device 006
[XUM1541] xum1541 name: xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)
[XUM1541] xum1541 serial number:   0
[XUM1541] firmware version 7, library version 7
[XUM1541] device capabilities 03 status 01
previous command was interrupted, resetting
[XUM1541] [xum1541_init] No tape support.
[XUM1541] control msg 2
[XUM1541] Closing USB link

this terminates.

(BTW the floppy is running all the time right after plugging it into the ZoomFloppy, which it doesn't if I switch it on unattached.)

In the meantime, I have heard of other cases, like one who has to reset regularly, plug out and plug in, because it keeps getting lost after a few operations. I seriously think it might be an extremely difficult to find combination of factors, and luckily doesn't affect most configurations.

I guess this is one of those moments you better relax and wait for something enlightening to happen. ;-)

What I can do in the meantime: I will try to use it with a laptop, but I'll have to compile opencbm there first. I'll keep you informed!

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 6:42:51 PM8/25/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
Additional Information (might or might not be relevant):

The tower where it doesn't work properly is a HP Z200 with Ubuntu 14.4 LTS with an Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz x 2. Could have been an Ubuntu update, because it used to work up to some point in time. The tower where it works is a no name machine with an Intel i5-3570 @ 3.40GHz and Windows 7.

I remember vaguely that HP always plays proprietary games with the hardware. Might be a reason?

I will also try to see what happens if I reduce workload and close most of the windows after this post.

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2016, 6:57:19 PM8/25/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
OK, checked with much less workload, same results as before. This is seemingly not the reason.

Curt Dawe

Aug 26, 2016, 12:13:32 PM8/26/16
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to butt in here guys, but raw curiosity ... What's the deal with all the error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device messages ?

On Thursday, 25 August 2016, <blondm...@gmail.com> wrote:
OK, checked with much less workload, same results as before. This is seemingly not the reason.

================================
Curt Dawe
Newfoundland and Labrador
Canada
================================

Spiro Trikaliotis

Aug 27, 2016, 3:58:18 PM8/27/16
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Hello Curt,

* On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 01:43:31PM -0230 Curt Dawe wrote:
> Sorry to butt in here guys, but raw curiosity ... What's the deal with all the
> error obtaining child information: Inappropriate ioctl for device messages ?

I did not investigate more, but this message is "normal" and always appears
with ZoomFloppy and many other USB devices. It's just the way libusb
enumerates the devices.

Spiro Trikaliotis

Aug 27, 2016, 4:00:59 PM8/27/16
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hello,

* On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 03:20:51PM -0700 blondm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Here they come:
[...]

> .. which never comes back. Only a ^C interrupts here.

Bad. Unfortunately, everything above looks completely normal.

> $ sudo XUM1541_DEBUG=2 cbmctrl reset
> [XUM1541] scanning usb ...
> [XUM1541] scanning bus 002
> [XUM1541] device 16d0:0504 at 006
> [XUM1541] found xu/xum1541 version 0207 on bus 002, device 006
> [XUM1541] xum1541 name: xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)
> [XUM1541] xum1541 serial number:   0
> [XUM1541] firmware version 7, library version 7
> [XUM1541] device capabilities 03 status 01
> previous command was interrupted, resetting
> [XUM1541] [xum1541_init] No tape support.
> [XUM1541] control msg 2
> [XUM1541] Closing USB link
>
> this terminates.

This is good.

> (BTW the floppy is running all the time right after plugging it into the
> ZoomFloppy, which it doesn't if I switch it on unattached.)

The floppy is still running after the "cbmctrl reset"? This is
interesting.

In this case, I would expect a problem with the ZF hardware (powering?)
or with the firmware.

Do you have a multimeter and the skills to measure the voltage of ATN,
CLK, DATA and SRQ on the IEC bus?

> I guess this is one of those moments you better relax and wait for something
> enlightening to happen. ;-)

Unfortunately, it seems this is all I can do, yes. Very bad. :(

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2016, 6:48:23 AM8/30/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
I am sorry, I am not at all good at electronics, so perhaps somebody else with similar problems could perform these measurements?

But frankly, it doesn't seem logical to me to assume a ZF hardware problem. The ZF can only provide what it gets from the USB port. It works perfectly with another PC, it has worked perfectly on this PC, but it has failed presumably after an Ubuntu update.

I still don't believe that there is anything wrong with the ZF hardware nor with OpenCBM or the ZF software. I still think there is some problem with the USB driver in combination with a certain type of USB hardware, and it is very likely that this problem affects different applications or devices as well, and that it will be eventually discovered and solved.

In the meantime, I use it under Windows. ;-)

blondm...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 6:54:25 PM8/31/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
Interesting Update:

It has been indicated here today that someone has experienced a similar problem exclusively with USB 3 ports, and another one could solve the Zoom Floppy entirely by trying USB 2 only.

This does not yet solve my own problem. I have a Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 controller. But it might solve the problem for some other users, and perhaps there is a hint hidden in that information that might prove useful for further investigation?

Nate Lawson

Sep 1, 2016, 12:38:46 AM9/1/16
to ZoomFloppy Users, an-zoomfl...@spiro.trikaliotis.net
I haven’t heard of this specific problem, but if it’s USB3-related, it’s probably about your OS’s device driver support for the onboard controller.

-Nate

nhoijtink

Dec 3, 2020, 1:32:57 AM12/3/20
to ZoomFloppy Users
I can confirm that USB 2.0 devices on USB 3.x hubs are problematic, and it seem to me that it has nothing to do with drivers or software (though it might be fixable, no idea). For example, in my case i built a completely new AMD Ryzen based system with a AORUS Pro Wifi ITX motherboard and have 2 wireless keyboard of different brands (Logitech K400r is one of them) and if i connect the dongle to an USB 3.x port the keyboard/mouse will stutter/freeze constantly, even when just in BIOS. My wired keyboard does not have issues. However, i also have a Konig USB 2.0  hub, and when i connect that hub to an USB 3.x port and the wireless keyboard dongle to that USB 2.0 hub everything works fine. No freezes or stutters, not even in BIOS. The USB 3.x hardware hubs seems to have compatibility issues with USB 2.0 devices, and info/problems/issues on that is all over the internet. It is very hardware specific though, because i also have 2 HP DV6/DV7 laptops which have USB 3.0 ports, and they work fine without issues with the wireless keyboards. I haven't tested ZoomFloppy specifically as i haven't used mine for a very long time, but expect the same behaviour as it might be even more sensitive. So my advice at this point of my understanding  would be to try using a true USB 2.0 hub to connect the ZoomFloppy to and see if that solves the communication problems.