ZoomFloppy V1.0 from 2010 not working with OpenCBM 0.4.99.103

nhoijtink

Dec 18, 2020, 9:22:40 AM12/18/20
to ZoomFloppy Users
Hi all,

If at any time in the below steps you need to (un)plug cables, please be sure to turn the power off on the devices to prevent damage. It is at your own risk, i can not guarantee anything. I suggest you leave your diskdrive powered off and disconnected until you actually need it.

A long time ago i bought 2x ZoomFloppy 1.0 devices from Retro Innovations. I tried to install the newest version of OpenCBM 0.4.99.103 on my newly installed Windows 10 20H2 PC, and got all sorts of libusb errors. Back then i already update the firmware to version 0.7. I haven't done much with OpenCBM for several years ;)

This is how i solved my problems:

1) Download and install the latest version of Zadig, you can find it on Zadig - USB driver installation made easy (akeo.ie)

2) Connect your ZoomFloppy (if your ZoomFloppy has no case, be sure not to short-circuit the device) with the USB cable to your PC, then start the Zadig application.

3) Select your ZoomFloppy device from the pulldown list (should be named something like 'xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)'), then select LibusbK as the driver and press the install button. After the driver installed exit the Zadig application.

4) Start an administrative command prompt to upgrade the firmware to the latest version. From the command prompt move to the directory where you have unpacked your installation files. Then type "i386\xum1541cfg.exe update xum1541-ZOOMFLOPPY-v08.hex". Unless you have your paths wrong, this will disconnect your ZoomFloppy and after a few seconds spitout an error saying that no upgradable device was found.

The reason for that error is that your ZoomFloppy device is disconnected and switched to DFU mode, but there is no driver for that mode so we need to install it. You do not need to quit the command prompt for the next step.

Start Zadig again, and you will notice an 'ATMEGA32U2 DFU' device, which should be your ZoomFloppy device in programmable mode. As above, select that device and choose LibusbK as the driver and press install, and wait for it to complete.

Now go back to the command prompt and do the previous command again 'i386\xum1541cfg.exe update xum1541-ZOOMFLOPPY-v08.hex'

The ZoomFloppy firmware should now report success and be updated to the 0.8 version (in my case) The ZoomFloppy device will change back into 'xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)'.

5) Finally go into the i386 directory and type 'instcbm.exe xum1541', which should install the needed software.

To test if it works, connect and turn on your diskdrive, then type 'cbmctrl.exe detect'. This should report your diskdrive and it's unit number. Then type 'cbmctrl.exe dir 8'. Unless you have changed the drive unit number, this should give you a directory of the disk on device 8. If you use a different unit number, please change the 8 into the reported value.

I hope this helps you guys to be able to install the latest firmware and use the latest OpenCBM version, and resolv libusb problems.

Best wishes to all ....

Spiro Trikaliotis

Dec 18, 2020, 12:08:08 PM12/18/20
to ZoomFloppy Users
why-oh-why?

* On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 06:22:40AM -0800 nhoijtink wrote:

> A long time ago i bought 2x ZoomFloppy 1.0 devices from Retro Innovations. I
> tried to install the newest version of OpenCBM 0.4.99.103 on my newly installed
> Windows 10 20H2 PC, and got all sorts of libusb errors.

What are these errors? How did you try to install it?

> 1) Download and install the latest version of Zadig, you can find it on Zadig -
> USB driver installation made easy (akeo.ie)
[...]
> 3) Select your ZoomFloppy device from the pulldown list (should be named
> something like 'xum1541 floppy adapter (ZOOMFLOPPY)'), then select LibusbK as
> the driver and press the install button. After the driver installed exit the
> Zadig application.

Why do you use the libusbk driver? This is not a recommended setup.
Better use WinUSB instead.

Or use the OpenCBM installer, which does exactly this automatically.

If it did not work on your machine, tell us what went wrong so we can
find a fix for everyone.

I know there are people having problems with an upgrade from older
versions. There have been two reports (one is on sourceforge, #21), but
this should not apply to your case, as you started with a fresh 20H2
instell.

> The reason for that error is that your ZoomFloppy device is disconnected and
> switched to DFU mode, but there is no driver for that mode so we need to
> install it. You do not need to quit the command prompt for the next step.
>
> Start Zadig again, and you will notice an 'ATMEGA32U2 DFU' device, which should
> be your ZoomFloppy device in programmable mode. As above, select that device
> and choose LibusbK as the driver and press install, and wait for it to
> complete.

... and this would not be necessary with the all-in-one installer of
v0.4.99.103, because it installs the driver for both devices.

> I hope this helps you guys to be able to install the latest firmware and use
> the latest OpenCBM version, and resolv libusb problems.

Why do you come up with yet another install instruction? There are many,
many instructions out there, and many are outdated. In your case, you
leave the machine if a user in an unsupported state (wrong driver).

Why?

I wanted to stay away from commenting install instructions, but as this
is an "official" ZF mailing list, I cannot keep without adding remarks.
Otherwise, people might think this is a recommended way to install
things:

NO, IT IS NOT!

Regards,
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis
https://spiro.trikaliotis.net/

nhoijtink

Dec 25, 2020, 4:04:50 PM12/25/20
to ZoomFloppy Users
Why-oh-why ?

It is in the ZoomFloppy installation manual included in the archive, which i used to install as i have stated i have ZoomFloppy hardware .... oepsie
But i will redo the installation using the OpenCBM.pdf which also includes an installation manual.

Nate Lawson

Dec 25, 2020, 5:29:35 PM12/25/20
to ZoomFloppy Users
Spiro, I should take down my older installers once we think your OpenCBM distributions are ready and more capable. I know you’ve done a lot of work on Windows driver signing for libusb, so that’s already ahead of my outdated build.

-Nate