Announcing Zombie, Run! 2 Beta (with iPhone support and Multiplayer!)

Peter Dolan

Mar 21, 2010, 4:03:04 PM3/21/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com
Hi all you Zombie Runners,

Sorry I've been so quiet on this list lately, it's for a good reason.

Allow me to, with GREAT pleasure, announce the beta release of Zombie, Run! 2! (beta)*  Fire up your iPhone or Android browser and load this URL:

That's right!  It runs in your browser.  That means it works on the iPhone and Android, and probably on the palm pre and any other modern Internet phone.

There are a few cool new features:
  • Multiplayer!  Invite your friends by starting a game, and then hitting the "Add Friend" link at the bottom of the game.
  • A global game!  From the home page, when you're logged out, join the global game to play with everyone else in the world!
  • Persistent games!  You can play a single game for weeks or months at a time, just don't get caught!
  • Fortifications!  To give your tired legs a rest at a cafe, or to protect your home or workplace, you can dig yourself in and make a defensive position.
  • And a whole new slew of bugs for me to work out :)  This is a beta, after all.  I want to see what you guys think of the multiplayer gameplay.
Try it out and tell me what you like, what you don't like, and any problems you've found!

A bit more about the new features:

Multiplayer
Invite friends to your private game or to the global game!  When you send an invitation, it will also be sent to your inbox, so don't be surprised by that.  If a friend of yours gets infected by a zombie, they'll turn into a zombie after about 2 minutes, and then watch out -- they can infect you too.

When you turn into a zombie, you can't fortify an area.

Global Game
There's a global game you can join from the home screen.  Remember that if you join the global game, then people nearby you will be able to see your location.  If you're not comfortable with that, then you should play private games.

Persistent Games
If you don't start a new game, but just log in to start a private game, the game will pick up where you last left off.  So, if you want to go to sleep at night and stay safe the next day, then fortify your house, turn off your phone, and just start it all up again in the morning.

Fortifications
You can fortify a location, but not more than once every 10 minutes.  If you leave the fortified area, the fortification goes away (because you left, obviously you can't keep defending the area).  Zombies won't enter a fortified area, but if they know you're there, they'll hang out just outside waiting for you to leave.  Your friends can join you in the fortified area without using their fortification, so invite a lot of friends to the game and stay safe in groups.

Known Bugs
Typing in your destination as an address on an Android phone seems to have some problem.  Just tap on the map for now.  I'm working on it.

Right now the global game has only one destination: Alamo Square in San Francisco, CA.  I'm working on allowing multiple destinations, and I'll set up a few good destinations in every major city once I do.  For now, if you're in a different city, just try not to get eaten :)

I don't have any icons to show a friend who's been infected or has turned into a zombie.  For now, just tell each-other when you're a zombie trying to eat delicious delicious brains.  Play nice.

- Peter

* help me figure out a subtitle.  Zombie, Run! 2: the late-afternoon jog, Zombie, Run! 2: are we there yet?, etc.

Daniel Legault

Mar 26, 2010, 5:26:30 AM3/26/10
to Zombie, Run! Users
The new features are awesome but navigating in browser is frustrating.
And I can't switch locations. And where are the zombie frequency
controls? Sorry i know your probly workin on these.

On Mar 21, 1:03 pm, Peter Dolan <peterjdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all you Zombie Runners,
>
> Sorry I've been so quiet on this list lately, it's for a good reason.
>
> Allow me to, with *GREAT* pleasure, announce the beta release of Zombie,

> Run! 2! (beta)*  Fire up your iPhone or Android browser and load this URL:
>
> *http://game.zrli.org/*

> That's right!  It runs in your browser.  That means it works on the iPhone
> and Android, and probably on the palm pre and any other modern Internet
> phone.
>
> There are a few cool new features:
>
>    - Multiplayer!  Invite your friends by starting a game, and then hitting

>    the "Add Friend" link at the bottom of the game.
>    - A global game!  From the home page, when you're logged out, join the

>    global game to play with everyone else in the world!
>    - Persistent games!  You can play a single game for weeks or months at a

>    time, just don't get caught!
>    - Fortifications!  To give your tired legs a rest at a cafe, or to

>    protect your home or workplace, you can dig yourself in and make a defensive
>    position.
>    - And a whole new slew of bugs for me to work out :)  This is a beta,

>    after all.  I want to see what you guys think of the multiplayer gameplay.
>
> Try it out and tell me what you like, what you don't like, and any problems
> you've found!
>
> A bit more about the new features:
>
> *Multiplayer*

> Invite friends to your private game or to the global game!  When you send an
> invitation, it will also be sent to your inbox, so don't be surprised by
> that.  If a friend of yours gets infected by a zombie, they'll turn into a
> zombie after about 2 minutes, and then watch out -- they can infect you too.
>
> When you turn into a zombie, you can't fortify an area.
>
> *Global Game*

> There's a global game you can join from the home screen.  Remember that if
> you join the global game, then people nearby you will be able to see your
> location.  If you're not comfortable with that, then you should play private
> games.
>
> *Persistent Games*

> If you don't start a new game, but just log in to start a private game, the
> game will pick up where you last left off.  So, if you want to go to sleep
> at night and stay safe the next day, then fortify your house, turn off your
> phone, and just start it all up again in the morning.
>
> *Fortifications*

> You can fortify a location, but not more than once every 10 minutes.  If you
> leave the fortified area, the fortification goes away (because you left,
> obviously you can't keep defending the area).  Zombies won't enter a
> fortified area, but if they know you're there, they'll hang out just outside
> waiting for you to leave.  Your friends can join you in the fortified area
> without using their fortification, so invite a lot of friends to the game
> and stay safe in groups.
>
> *Known Bugs*

Peter Dolan

Mar 26, 2010, 12:11:53 PM3/26/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Daniel,

Glad you're liking the new features.  What phone are you using?  I find it works best on pretty powerful new phones like the iPhone 3GS, Droid, or the Nexus One.  I expect I'll be integrating the multiplayer aspect into the native Android app sometime so that lower-powered android devices can play more reasonably.  Not sure about that one though, it's a stretch goal.

What do you mean by "I can't switch locations"?  If you tap on the little blue dot, it should move the map to your current location.

Also, I'd be interested in what everyone else thinks of this: I actually removed the zombie density and speed controls intentionally.  My thought is that now that I can keep track of the games you've played in the past, and how well you've done on them (and calculate your typical running speed, how well you evade zombies, etc.), I can just automatically increase or decrease the zombie density and speed in subsequent games to keep it automatically challenging.  This way, you can just bring up your browser and hit 'new game' to start playing.

- Peter

Colin Sullivan

Mar 26, 2010, 10:29:11 PM3/26/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com
its out on iphone? cant find in on itunes
--
Csully

Peter Dolan

Mar 26, 2010, 11:06:07 PM3/26/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com

It's not an installed application, just open http://game.zrli.org/ in your phone's browser.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Peter Dolan <peter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Daniel,
>
> Glad you're liking the new features.  What phone are you using?  I find it works...

Csully

Daniel Legault

Mar 26, 2010, 11:29:14 PM3/26/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com
I'm using a mytouch (mid-low end Droid). Integrating the new features
into the original game would awesome.

Sami R

Apr 4, 2010, 4:15:52 PM4/4/10
to Zombie, Run! Users
I'm happy we got the update with the new features but choosing a
destination on the map doesn't really work. When you click, the entire
map gets chosen. Only rarely has a point been picked. I've tried 3
different browsers, and I still get the same problem. Other than that
everything works well. I use a Droid Eris.

Atomic

Apr 12, 2010, 4:40:00 PM4/12/10
to Zombie, Run! Users
Here is a handy IPhone TIP

Load the Zombie, RUN! link in Safari on your iPhone
Hit the "+" button at the base of the Safari app
Select "Add to Home Screen"
Save the App to the Home Screen
Tap the icon that was just saved to your Home Screen
The demo App should load in full screen without the Safari wrapper.

> [...]

> games.
>

> *Persistent Games*

> If you don't start a new game, but just log in to start a private game, the
> game will pick up where you last left off.  So, if you want to go to sleep
> at night and stay safe the next day, then fortify your house, turn off your
> phone, and just start it all up again in the morning.
>

> *Fortifications*

> You can fortify a location, but not more than once every 10 minutes.  If you
> leave the fortified area, the fortification goes away (because you left,
> obviously you can't keep defending the area).  Zombies won't enter a
> fortified area, but if they know you're there, they'll hang out just outside
> waiting for you to leave.  Your friends can join you in the fortified area
> without using their fortification, so invite a lot of friends to the game

Atomic

Apr 12, 2010, 4:37:50 PM4/12/10
to Zombie, Run! Users
I am thrilled that this can now be run on the IPhone or in my case a
jailbroken 3rd gen IPod touch with cached map data and a 20channel
bluetooth gps.

However there seems to be a large white rectangular bar across the top
of my screen that makes using this app quite unusable in the browser.

Here is an IPhone tip

Load the Zombie, RUN! link in Safari on your iPhone
Hit the "+" button at the base of the Safari app
Select "Add to Home Screen"
Save the App to the Home Screen
Tap the icon that was just saved to your Home Screen
The demo App should load in full screen without the Safari wrapper

allowing it to be viewed in a usable fashion.

Regards
Atomic

> [...]

> games.
>

> *Persistent Games*

> If you don't start a new game, but just log in to start a private game, the
> game will pick up where you last left off.  So, if you want to go to sleep
> at night and stay safe the next day, then fortify your house, turn off your
> phone, and just start it all up again in the morning.
>

> *Fortifications*

> You can fortify a location, but not more than once every 10 minutes.  If you
> leave the fortified area, the fortification goes away (because you left,
> obviously you can't keep defending the area).  Zombies won't enter a
> fortified area, but if they know you're there, they'll hang out just outside
> waiting for you to leave.  Your friends can join you in the fortified area
> without using their fortification, so invite a lot of friends to the game

Michel Paquet

Apr 12, 2010, 4:55:28 PM4/12/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com
Bonjour, j'aimerai comprendre. C'est qoi,Zombie?

Connectés par MOTOBLUR™

Oz

Apr 13, 2010, 11:08:38 AM4/13/10
to Zombie, Run! Users
Peter,

I just recently tried out the app version of the game, it's
excellent. I then tried the BETA version that you have running
through Android browser. The features are nice, though it's obviously
still very BETAy. I did have an issue with the map, it often mistook
my dragging for trying to copy an image. Also it seems that when
using the "tap the map" to set a destination it won't let you first
switch to satellite or hybrid first, which makes it easier for me to
set a location exactly where I want... wasn't an issue with the first
version. If you could manage to combine the features of the BETA with
the smoothness of the app version it'd be golden. Lastly, (and I know
you already mentioned that you don't intend to add augmented reality
to this...but I still wanted to say it) if you could managed to hookup
with the spectrek folks you guys could likely make some pretty decent
money.

Thanks for a completely enjoyable game.

P.S. for the subtitle, how about "Zombie, Run 2: Global Pandemic"
something like that would keep the zombie theme while hinting at
multiplayer and your global game option.

On Mar 21, 4:03 pm, Peter Dolan <peterjdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all you Zombie Runners,
>
> Sorry I've been so quiet on this list lately, it's for a good reason.
>

> Allow me to, with *GREAT* pleasure, announce the beta release of Zombie,

> Run! 2! (beta)*  Fire up your iPhone or Android browser and load this URL:
>

> *http://game.zrli.org/*

> That's right!  It runs in your browser.  That means it works on the iPhone
> and Android, and probably on the palm pre and any other modern Internet
> phone.
>
> There are a few cool new features:
>

>    - Multiplayer!  Invite your friends by starting a game, and then hitting

>    the "Add Friend" link at the bottom of the game.

>    - A global game!  From the home page, when you're logged out, join the

>    global game to play with everyone else in the world!

>    - Persistent games!  You can play a single game for weeks or months at a

>    time, just don't get caught!

>    - Fortifications!  To give your tired legs a rest at a cafe, or to

>    protect your home or workplace, you can dig yourself in and make a defensive
>    position.

>    - And a whole new slew of bugs for me to work out :)  This is a beta,

>    after all.  I want to see what you guys think of the multiplayer gameplay.
>
> Try it out and tell me what you like, what you don't like, and any problems
> you've found!
>
> A bit more about the new features:
>

> *Multiplayer*

> Invite friends to your private game or to the global game!  When you send an
> invitation, it will also be sent to your inbox, so don't be surprised by
> that.  If a friend of yours gets infected by a zombie, they'll turn into a
> zombie after about 2 minutes, and then watch out -- they can infect you too.
>
> When you turn into a zombie, you can't fortify an area.
>

> *Global Game*

> There's a global game you can join from the home screen.  Remember that if
> you join the global game, then people nearby you will be able to see your
> location.  If you're not comfortable with that, then you should play private
> games.
>

> *Persistent Games*

> If you don't start a new game, but just log in to start a private game, the
> game will pick up where you last left off.  So, if you want to go to sleep
> at night and stay safe the next day, then fortify your house, turn off your
> phone, and just start it all up again in the morning.
>

> *Fortifications*

> You can fortify a location, but not more than once every 10 minutes.  If you
> leave the fortified area, the fortification goes away (because you left,
> obviously you can't keep defending the area).  Zombies won't enter a
> fortified area, but if they know you're there, they'll hang out just outside
> waiting for you to leave.  Your friends can join you in the fortified area
> without using their fortification, so invite a lot of friends to the game
> and stay safe in groups.
>

> *Known Bugs*

Peter Dolan

Apr 13, 2010, 12:31:59 PM4/13/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com
Hey Oz,

If I got it right, your name is kickass.  Thanks for the comments!  Yeah, it looks like the dragging and touch events are a problem for several people.  I'll definitely pay that some attention.  Having a simple confirmation dialog on your selection would get us a long way there, I suspect.  I'll let you know when I push those fixes.

Thanks for the tip on Spectrek, I didn't know about them.  Looks pretty awesome, I'll see if collaboration would work out.

I like your subtitle.  That's the working subtitle now, thanks!

- Peter

Sacha M

Apr 14, 2010, 1:14:36 PM4/14/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com

Hi I agree with Oz on EVERYTHING pehaps once out of beta you could do an app store version for Android as this runs nowhere near smoothly as the old one, I really like all the themes you have added but on browser base it is really hard! Selections are hard to make and it kept fortifying random zones and I, due to Sod's Law, could never make the selection I wanted to, and Augmented Reality would be awesomeness on a plate!

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Oz <ozt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter,
>

> I just recently trie...

fourt...@live.com

Apr 28, 2010, 9:55:12 AM4/28/10
to Zombie, Run! Users
Hello, I am definitely a Zombie, Run! fan and just wanted to add my
2 cents to this thread. Especially after reading the request for you
to pair up with the spectrek creator, as I thought about how crazy a
game like this could be long before reading this.

For those who don't know, spectrek is a phone game that uses GPS to
find "ghosts" on your phone screen around you on a map. When you get
close enough, you raise your phone up like a camera, it then uses the
camera on your phone to capture the pacman like ghosts that float
around on your screen. You also gain levels by getting xp from
capturing the ghosts and spend skill points you get from leveling up
to make your ghost catching journeys easier and more fun. It's
definitely a must have if you like games that use your GPS.

Now, just imagine the combined 2. No, not catching zombies with a
net button. I mean shooting red, stiff, growing (meaning getting
nearer) zombies with that shotgun you've been saving up your skill
points for, to replace your 8 round pistol you started with, all from
the camera on your phone. Maybe even different gametypes for killing
as many as you can while you get to your destination or just a zombie
slaughter mode with your friends using internet or bluetooth, using a
friendly icon to resemble where your friends are that would label them
on the map and in camera mode :)

HEHEHE, sorry if that was just to much detail, I just had to put
the same image I have in my head in all of yours. It certainly
wouldn't be an easy task but there would definitely be a cash
compensation for your time. That kind of game could easily sell for
atleast 15-$20 a download if made with the same care as Zombie, Run!
the app. (I don't know if there is a reason you made the online beta
on the browser, but that makes the quality of it not nearly as good as
it could be as an app.) And with such an amazing, expensive, phone
game, you would make even more with a "buy a friend Zombie, Run!"
system.

HEHE. Again, sorry about the detail. But now that you have this
money maker/award winning/phone-game revolutionizing idea in your
head, whach'ya think?

Sacha M

Apr 28, 2010, 11:14:06 AM4/28/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com

I like it but most games are £5 and not usually more and SpekTrek is quite cheap but I get your drift and a gun would be cool in one mode and maybe (like in Left 4 Dead) a mode where you are a zombie fighting your friends or an NPC but I agree about the browser based version detracting quality.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Zombie, Run! Users" group...

Sacha M

Apr 28, 2010, 11:16:45 AM4/28/10
to zombie-r...@googlegroups.com

Wait, luckily I think the browser version is beta/tech demo. I hope I'm right and we get a market version oh please let me be right