Ideas - Zeitgeist Movement

Jon-br

May 23, 2011, 3:40:23 AM5/23/11
to Global Dev Team
I'll begin to be shortly and more objective guys...
Ok, let us do it.

This topic has as objective to suggest ideas for creation of new
projects!
So, I'm exposing my ideas...

IDEA 1: To find or create some website to work better.

I don't know yet, but if we get for example: launchpad.com,
brainstorm.ubuntu.com, askubuntu.com...
These sites are specifics to some task. It's better to work like
this.
We can keep divide so many goals for each one.

It's not a good way to keep this topic for suggest ideas, for
example.
We can't manage it, control duplicate ideas, etc.

So, I'm suggesting we find others services(sites) which have a
specific goal,
for example, to report bug, suggest ideas, etc.

IDEA 2: Integrate ZM Data Base

I don't know how ZM sites were made, but I think It's really important
to have some way
to inscribe users into ALL ZM websites automatically!

Like, ZM users from Brazil should be inscribe in ZM.com and other ZM
sites like ZM-News or
some another which have a important/relevant service for end-users.

The goal here is to get a common user profile for we (dev guys)
provide best services!!!
Waiting for feedbacks...
^ ~

gavin palmer

May 23, 2011, 10:11:13 AM5/23/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
I think that ideas should be automatically posted to a wiki with appropriate links.  We could start by doing this manually.  This wiki repo of ideas can be navigated easily.  I would think that we can easily begin this wiki repo.  I am busy for a while.  But I would love to see someone start it up on TZM wiki - using the wiki repo idea as an initial entry within the "tree" of idea links.

These ideas can eventually be linked to our official CVS.  And the CVS can reference the wiki.

digitalfredy

May 23, 2011, 12:13:55 PM5/23/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
For get the database of all members i suggest 389 directory server
(LDAP) http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Jon-br <jonathan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> --

ATT: Fredy Pulido López, +1 procurando un mejor mundo para todos.

Ray (Gman)

May 23, 2011, 8:02:52 PM5/23/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
The TZM wiki is down for 'maintenance' until some non-RBE related stuff can be removed (although that seems to be rather low on their priority list).

So, I brought over all of the Dev Team stuff into the LingTeam wiki, including their Histories and all user accounts.  It's not connected to the main site database, so anyone wanting to log in/Edit will first need to use the password recovery function found on the login page in order to (re)activate their account.

Please keep in mind that this is NOT a replacement for the TZM wiki, so any/all additions should be specific to the Linguistic and Developer Teams.

Warm Regards,
Ray (Gman)

"The entire future of humankind is yet to be written"
http://www.thevenusproject.com/

Nick Polimeni

May 27, 2011, 8:52:39 AM5/27/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
I started a page in the wiki for Ideas. It's a little sloppy now because I only copied from posts here. I'll organize it better in the next few days.

Cheers,  Nick

Jon-br

May 27, 2011, 4:18:47 PM5/27/11
to Global Dev Team
Hi guys,

IDEA 3 :

We should have redirect from this
http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=439&Itemid=953

to this
http://wiki.zmlingteam.org/w/Global_Developers_Team

IDEA 4 :

May be we should close this group...
I don't know what is the objective of this gg.

Does it something like chat or broadcast emails?
Maybe forums will be better in that.

Jon-br

May 27, 2011, 5:55:44 PM5/27/11
to Global Dev Team
IDEA 5 : Classify Projects by Languages

If http://projects.zmdev.net/projects is a official mean to lead
projects, so...
We could split/classify projects by languages like: PHP, Java, C/C++,
Python ...

I think we all have no time to learn a lot of other technologies.
It would be cool to have something like:

1. Java Projects:
1.1. Android
1.2. GWT
1.3. J2EE

2. PHP Projects
2.1. Joomla
2.2. Drupal

3. C/C++

4. Python

IDEA 6 : Space to discourse new projects or objectives

We could have some space to talk about what the movement really need!
It's not useful to propose so many stuffs (programs, websites,
services...) that neither community will use nor it's priority.

I'm not discourage new ideas, but we should have a space to lead the
creation of new projects.
Now, we have forums, it's important to have it, but it's still so
confuse.

If we could create a space in http://projects.zmdev.net/projects to
propose new projects or objectives, it would be the better way.

On May 27, 10:18 pm, Jon-br <jonathan.dorle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> IDEA 3 :
>
> We should have redirect from thishttp://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_conte...
>
> to thishttp://wiki.zmlingteam.org/w/Global_Developers_Team

georgyvlad

May 27, 2011, 7:12:52 PM5/27/11
to Global Dev Team
I like IDEA 5!

I don't necessarily think the "projects" should be grouped by
programming language but the "teams" makes sense. Although, since we
have very few projects that doesn't matter much at the moment.

About IDEA 6, I think the better place for this is a new thread for
each project here in this Google group or, even better, on the forum:
http://forum.zmdev.net/

Nick Polimeni

May 28, 2011, 2:56:20 AM5/28/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks,

As I mentioned earlier, I've set up a page in the wiki to post ideas, and you're all welcome to add them there as well as here... here's the link: http://wiki.zmlingteam.org/w/Global_Developers_Team. It is cumbersome for me to move all these letters, and distill them to their essentials. So if you post them there, I can help organize them better. Remember, as of now, the wiki is the only true collaborative space we have, until we advance to a better one or customize the wiki to our needs.

Categorization and Organization

The Scope of Work is intended to contain the entire global technical work to be done. Since this is a collaborative space, all dev team members can contribute to its layout, and to add information, as you find it necessary. Right now, the Scope of work is set up this way:

There server side would contain each layer normally found at the server, such as support languages, and applications, such as Drupal, etc. (If you go to the wiki, you will see there are other subs under the TOC you see above.)

Project would fit under their own areas, although a cross-reference system should exist, to provide a view, as you suggest it; which is something I intended to add.

Cheers,

Nick

Nick Polimeni

May 28, 2011, 3:41:33 AM5/28/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks,

here is an example of how this topic, Ideas, would look like in the wiki. It is not completely clean, because I simply pasted from each posting, and cleaned up some of the posts, try to organize it better. For example, I may not use a numerical identification such as Idea 1, and so on... but a Category type for ideas. but it should give you a good idea of where it can lead.  http://wiki.zmlingteam.org/w/General_Ideas

Cheers, Nick

Chris Boertien

May 29, 2011, 1:53:14 PM5/29/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to address these as best I can

Idea 1)

There's plenty of sites to choose from, and there's really no reason to say we should pick one. Personally if I was starting and running a project, I'd be running it through github, if someone else was running a project, they might prefer some other site to manage the project from. I don't really see any importance in having just one, in my experience it just never works out that way. If and when we get any large number of projects on the go, building an aggregation of all the projects, wherever they're located is not difficult. All that is really need, once there are actual projects, is a page that lists where they're located.

Idea 2)

This is a great idea, it's been brought up quite often, problem is it's neither easy nor trivial. Every chapter hosts their own site on a CMS that does not allow easy mass integration of user profiles. Generally people get caught up on the idea of OpenID or some social logins, which does not solve the problem. What's really needed here is a central data store that does 3 legged authorization over something like OAuth, like Twitter and Facebook and many other sites do. Like I said, neither easy nor trivial.

Idea 3)

Don't really understand what that would accomplish.

Idea 4)

The objective of this GG is to make it easy to organize and manage the dev team. We have a forum, nobody uses it, and it's too much overhead as there is nobody to maintain it. GG has no overhead, and people can keep in touch much easier.

Idea 5)

I actually think it's a bad idea to start deciding how projects should be organized before there are projects to organize. Not only does it presume that projects should be a certain way, but it also distracts us from actually creating a project. Note that I'm not talking about all the project 'ideas' that go around. An idea is great, but it's not a project until people actually work on it. When we actually have projects, and it becomes an issue to organize those projects in some fashion, then we can look into catagorization, until then, it's not really useful.

Idea 6)

I would prefer people either look into picking up the project ideas that are already needing people to work on them, or if you do have an idea, instead of talking about it, make some minimal version of it and propose that. Make a proposal that is little more than words on a screen isn't really helpful. Successful projects often start as either a strong demand, or as a test for demand. If you have an idea and you'd like to know if people would find it useful, why not create something that takes 10-20 hours to build, put it out there, and if people actually use it, then it becomes more worthwhile to actually build. Not only that, but other developers are going to have a much easier time contributing to an actual code base rather than an essay on an idea of a project. Honestly, the time that would be spent typing up a concept and waiting for feedback, responding to feedback, could easily be spent building a prototype, and getting feedback on an actual piece of software, instead of an abstract concept.

Victor Phelemba

May 29, 2011, 4:16:16 PM5/29/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

There is a meeting 4pm EST 8pm GMT with the Global Developers - TeamSpeak Channel
All languages and levels of experience are welcome.

:-)

Jon-br

May 30, 2011, 1:43:14 PM5/30/11
to Global Dev Team
IDEA 7 : Making a Project Demand!

ZM Dev must to keep an easy way to contact and to listen all
communities, to improve services and create opportunities to new
projects.

We should have a mean to get communities needs by demand!
We can't say to everyone to change wiki page when they don't have
abilities for that.
For example, we should have some space, maybe inside projects/atrium
website instead of confuse forums, like:

=== Website ===
http://projects.zmdev.net/projects
or
http://atrium.zmdev.net/

A.
In somewhere inside these sites we have an option to:
<< MAKE A PROJECT DEMAND >>

Enter the follow informations:

1. Community:
Engineering, Sociology, Philosophy, Art, I don't know what else ...
(It's could be a combo box with all communities names)

2. Description of what you need:

ex1: "Ours community would like a website to make engineering
meetings..."

This project can become, after an evaluation, a new functionality in
some website, for example.
In additional, this demand could be apply to other communities too
with we think it's pertinent and useful.

ex2: "Ours community would like a system/program to manage
something..."
blablabla...

3. Emails to contact:

4. Availability to meeting ours dev team: (days of weeks)

5. Others relevant fields

B. This demand must be visible to everyone in that site.
(we have a list of demands as well as list of projects).

C. It should be voted or studied its availability by dev team.

D. If availability is ok, this demand become a new Project.
It shall be done by any programming language and open to anyone who
want to help.
> > On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM, georgyvlad <georg...@yahoo.com
> > <mailto:georg...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
> >     I like IDEA 5!
>
> >     I don't necessarily think the "projects" should be grouped by
> >     programming language but the "teams" makes sense. Although, since we
> >     have very few projects that doesn't matter much at the moment.
>
> >     About IDEA 6, I think the better place for this is a new thread for
> >     each project here in this Google group or, even better, on the forum:
> >    http://forum.zmdev.net/
>
> >     --

Jon-br

May 31, 2011, 2:41:29 PM5/31/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,
No, the prob isn't to edit wiki for me...
The idea is about the dificult of others ZM communities should have to communicate with us and then make their feedbacks and demands.

Usually, they don't know how to use wiki (and that isn't a good way). I think we could have a functionality that permit they demand something to us.

Jon-br

Jun 6, 2011, 4:43:54 AM6/6/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
IDEA 8 : Tweeter's DAY

I would like to propose a new idea... the Tweeter's Day
The idea is: we take 5 minutes in one day of week and spread ZM informations at the same time into tweeter.
We shall spread ZM infos (videos, sites...) into similar communities like newspapers, open-source... (@ubuntu @CNN @linux @NewYorkTimes ...)
If new put the reference @<name_community> It shall take attention of a lot of people !

We could talk with media ZM to spread this idea.
What you think?

Nick Polimeni

Jun 9, 2011, 12:46:37 AM6/9/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
If you really want to have attention paid to ideas, please, post them in the wiki, like I did for the previous ideas that were submitted through here.

Cheers,

Nick