Hawaii Chapter Web Presence

Brendan-HI Coordinator

Aug 31, 2011, 10:29:54 PM8/31/11
to Global Dev Team
First, it's nice to meet you all. The Hawaii Chapter website is
currently the cookie cutter Joomla child site provided as a base. I
doubt I need to go into the reasons it's past time to implement a new
site. While I have the basic skills to manage a CMS, I need someone to
act as an adviser in choosing and installing a new website.

Hawaii is somewhat unique logistically and otherwise and I hope to
account for these special attributes in the selection of new tools.
I'll be happy to go into these in greater depth with anyone who is
willing to help me along.

I plan to acquire one or more platforms (possibly a portal site to a
social networking site) and host them on a commercial server. I'll
need help uploading, configuring and tutoring in grooming and
maintaining the site. I'm a pretty quick learner though so don't think
I'll be too great a burden. :) Anybody?

Thanks!

Brendan Pieschl

Rasmus Rydstrom

Sep 1, 2011, 9:20:37 AM9/1/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
I manage the cookie cutter websites.

If you prefer another CMS or want to be moved to a VPS, we can figure it out.

- Rasmus Rydstrøm
(403) 890 8324

This message was sent from my mobile data device, apologies for typos
and brevity.

On Sep 1, 2011, at 5:47, Brendan-HI Coordinator
<brendan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pete Faraway

Sep 1, 2011, 7:58:31 AM9/1/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brendan,

First of all, let me invite you to register on the Open Atrium, our in-development networking platform which is also the current home of the Dev Team (this GoogleGroup is deprecated).

The intention is to provide all chapters with just what you are asking for, but we aren't quite there yet. The OA platform (based on Drupal) has many of the features needed but it all needs tweaking before it can be delivered. It is also planned to have a central server for chapters who cannot manage or maintain a local install.

If you can make it, we have a weekly meeting on TS on Sundays at 1500GMT.

There's a lot more to say, but perhaps it's easier to fill you if we talk?

Pete F
skype:pete.faraway

David Zwolski

Sep 1, 2011, 4:42:18 PM9/1/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
i would help you but im currently very occupied, and this wont change
untill Zeitgeist Media Festival is over.

hold on and contact me after the event OR ... well... best of luck ;]

On 1/09/2011 11:20 PM, Rasmus Rydstrom wrote:
> I manage the cookie cutter websites.
>
> If you prefer another CMS or want to be moved to a VPS, we can figure it out.
>

> - Rasmus Rydstr�m

David Z

Sep 2, 2011, 5:35:02 AM9/2/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
I would suggest to look at the atrium platform thou. Check out how the Australian chapter is functioning. We have a WordPress cms for our public page - Zeitgeistaustralia.org
And our activist platform on www.chapters.Zeitgeistaustralia.org that's running on open atrium.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Brendan-HI Coordinator

Sep 2, 2011, 1:40:02 AM9/2/11
to Global Dev Team
Thanks to all of you, I'll be all over this in short work. Moments ago
I tried to access by backdoor to announce a Saturday event and as
usual, the webpage is unavailable. Rasmus, I hope I don't come off too
critical but, if you're the manager of the platform for the global and
state sites, I wish I would have talked to you a long time ago. They
don't work, they don't remotely function. I don't know if it's the
server or what but my Hawaii site is down 30% of the time. What's
more, it blocks every new registrant so I have to check it every day
(when it let's me) to check and unblock people. When I compose a
newsletter post, it times out and I lose the text.

In short, nobody uses the website or forum because it's so unreliable.
They try but eventually just give up, this is unthinkable. I'm sure
part of it is because it doesn't have the features people have become
accustomed to in social networking sites too, that's why I want to
make a sweeping comprehensive change. I'm out of time tonight but will
elaborate in the next couple of days. Again, thanks!!

On Sep 1, 10:42 am, David Zwolski <arts.fant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i would help you but im currently very occupied, and this wont change
> untill Zeitgeist Media Festival is over.
>
> hold on and contact me after the event OR ... well... best of luck ;]
>
> On 1/09/2011 11:20 PM, Rasmus Rydstrom wrote:
>

> > I manage the cookie cutter websites.
>
> > If you prefer another CMS or want to be moved to a VPS, we can figure it out.
>
> > - Rasmus Rydstr m
> >(403) 890 8324begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (403) 890 8324
>
> > This message was sent from my mobile data device, apologies for typos
> > and brevity.
>
> > On Sep 1, 2011, at 5:47, Brendan-HI Coordinator

Brendan-HI Coordinator

Sep 2, 2011, 12:56:21 PM9/2/11
to Global Dev Team
I'll be investigating the suitability of Open Atrium over the week
end. One question, is there an interface for using mobile devices with
it? I found some rather vague info on that.

On Sep 1, 7:40 pm, Brendan-HI Coordinator <brendan.tzm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks to all of you, I'll be all over this in short work. Moments ago
> I tried to access by backdoor to announce a Saturday event and as
> usual, the webpage is unavailable. Rasmus, I hope I don't come off too
> critical but, if you're the manager of the platform for the global and
> state sites, I wish I would have talked to you a long time ago. They
> don't work, they don't remotely function. I don't know if it's the
> server or what but my Hawaii site is down 30% of the time. What's
> more, it blocks every new registrant so I have to check it every day
> (when it let's me) to check and unblock people. When I compose a
> newsletter post, it times out and I lose the text.
>
> In short, nobody uses the website or forum because it's so unreliable.
> They try but eventually just give up, this is unthinkable. I'm sure
> part of it is because it doesn't have the features people have become
> accustomed to in social networking sites too, that's why I want to
> make a sweeping comprehensive change. I'm out of time tonight but will
> elaborate in the next couple of days. Again, thanks!!
>
> On Sep 1, 10:42 am, David Zwolski <arts.fant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > i would help you but im currently very occupied, and this wont change
> > untill Zeitgeist Media Festival is over.
>
> > hold on and contact me after the event OR ... well... best of luck ;]
>
> > On 1/09/2011 11:20 PM, Rasmus Rydstrom wrote:
>
> > > I manage the cookie cutter websites.
>
> > > If you prefer another CMS or want to be moved to a VPS, we can figure it out.
>
> > > - Rasmus Rydstr m
> > >(403) 890 8324begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (403) 890 8324      begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (403) 890 8324

Brendan-HI Coordinator

Sep 2, 2011, 11:28:29 PM9/2/11
to Global Dev Team
Here's what I got so far. I've been looking at Boonex Dolphin, a
feature packed social networking software here http://www.boonex.com/dolphin
I'm looking for something that's going to meet every need. I don't
know where my last post about mobile apps went....:1....but this one
supports mobile devices which is huge here in Hawaii where many people
don't have reliable internet but do have a web phone. It boasts a
number of features Open Atrium doesn't or requires a plug-in for. One
of the most important is contact management. If I can't make contact
groups and send group emails or send a newsletter with it, I can't use
it.

Check out this comparison chart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_social_networking_software

wrote:
> Thanks to all of you, I'll be all over this in short work. Moments ago
> I tried to access by backdoor to announce a Saturday event and as
> usual, the webpage is unavailable. Rasmus, I hope I don't come off too
> critical but, if you're the manager of the platform for the global and
> state sites, I wish I would have talked to you a long time ago. They
> don't work, they don't remotely function. I don't know if it's the
> server or what but my Hawaii site is down 30% of the time. What's
> more, it blocks every new registrant so I have to check it every day
> (when it let's me) to check and unblock people. When I compose a
> newsletter post, it times out and I lose the text.
>
> In short, nobody uses the website or forum because it's so unreliable.
> They try but eventually just give up, this is unthinkable. I'm sure
> part of it is because it doesn't have the features people have become
> accustomed to in social networking sites too, that's why I want to
> make a sweeping comprehensive change. I'm out of time tonight but will
> elaborate in the next couple of days. Again, thanks!!
>
> On Sep 1, 10:42 am, David Zwolski <arts.fant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > i would help you but im currently very occupied, and this wont change
> > untill Zeitgeist Media Festival is over.
>
> > hold on and contact me after the event OR ... well... best of luck ;]
>
> > On 1/09/2011 11:20 PM, Rasmus Rydstrom wrote:
>
> > > I manage the cookie cutter websites.
>
> > > If you prefer another CMS or want to be moved to a VPS, we can figure it out.
>
> > > - Rasmus Rydstr m
> > >(403) 890 8324begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (403) 890 8324      begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            (403) 890 8324

David Zwolski

Sep 3, 2011, 12:45:33 PM9/3/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
the site works with mobile devices. it works on my android.

thou i found that some plugins that you may add on top can screw this
up ;/