decision making

gavin palmer

Jun 7, 2011, 9:48:35 AM6/7/11
to Global Dev Team
We really need a decision making model. This model would be
integrated into the project management architecture. But we need to
use the model when choosing which software we will begin using (next).

I know that the decision making process should be transparent - so
that everyone can revisit the relevant discussions and information
used when making the decision. (relevant audio and text)

I know that the decision making process should be emergent. So we
choose a decision making process - and the process itself may change
at a later date.

In the case of choosing the decision making process - we can use
democracy... which may or may not produce a democratic decision making
process.

I feel that we are moving slowly. The GG is working as a preliminary
project management software: and from it - we must develop a decision
making model. And from the decision making model - we can choose the
next evolution of our project management software (embedding the
determined model).

It is important that we include the relevant people in this next step.

Pranav Kumar

Jun 7, 2011, 3:47:37 PM6/7/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
yes i think polls ought to do the trick. but members should also be able to add extra options to a certain poll.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM, gavin palmer <gavinpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

he clung to the first suitable male

Chris Boertien

Jun 7, 2011, 8:45:44 PM6/7/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
While I do think polls can be useful in some cases, they are also inherently unreliable. Mostly due to the fact there's no way of knowing how much experience is being put behind each vote. I could easily see a majority of people choosing php and svn for coding and scm, but I would be the first to object as, although these two pieces of software are popular, they've also been superseded by more powerful and better technologies. Git for example is a much better system than svn for numerous reasons, yet I could easily see a poll supporting svn over git because more people might understand it.

Something I would like to do, rather than just going off popular opinion, is find out what the best technologies are, and hold workshops that introduce the technology and perhaps even include intermediate and advanced usage for those looking to learn more. Perhaps after a workshop like this opinion would actually have some validity.

Pranav Kumar

Jun 8, 2011, 3:16:56 AM6/8/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
I agree. If people don't know enough about the options, they won't be able to make the best decision. So what I propose is that, with the poll, we also offer info on the options. It can be links, wiki articles, youtube videos, whatever. That way, the poll can be conducted in a more 'sane' manner.

gavin palmer

Jun 8, 2011, 11:00:39 AM6/8/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
We know we need a home.  Any home is better than no home.  Once we have a home - we can improve it or make a decision to move.  This GoogleGroup (GG) is a home for now - but it is not suitable for our needs.  Let us quickly upgrade to our new home.  And just make sure we redirect traffic to our new home to avoid confusion and disorganization.  As long as everyone knows where our new home is located - we will be better off.

Jon-br

Jun 8, 2011, 11:09:49 AM6/8/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Isn't atrium a good home where we could put the Global ZM website ?

Does atrium provide this support ?

Nick Polimeni

Jun 10, 2011, 8:30:25 AM6/10/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
The wiki is the "HOME" until a better home is found. It is in the wiki where Project Phoenix (TZM 2.0) is being detailed out. People live someplace before moving to a new place, whenever a consensus or decision is reached about where to move. Meanwhile, the wiki is were we are, and we can't wait until the move to do some real work.

Go there and fill in your wisdom into the right places, and put your name next to "Person Responsible."

There is also lots of room for discussion, and it's got a lot more material than can be found anywhere related to Global Development Team Activities than any other place I know... including this GG.

NOW IS THE TIME to participate not only with intelligent ideas, but by putting them in the right place, and taking a hat in the project development  area. In case you don't know where it is, I give you the link and location again:   http://wiki.zmlingteam.org/w/Global_Developers_Team

http://wiki.zmlingteam.org/w/Global_Developers_Team#TZM_Re-design.E2.80.94The_Phoenix_Project_TZM_2.0

There is a very specific process that must be followed to make something happen. The wiki Project management outline is an important start. In fact, finding a new home is going to be difficult to find unless it is discussed there, in the wiki.

Tiago Emanuel Souza Ferreira

Jun 10, 2011, 9:11:44 AM6/10/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the feedback. I´ll take a good look on this wiki.

Atenciosamente,
Tiago Emanuel

"Precisamos ser a mudança que queremos ver no mundo" (Mahatma Gandhi)
Movimento Zeitgeist - mzbr.com.br

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 05:30:25 -0700
From: npol...@gmail.com
To: zm-global...@googlegroups.com