Phoenix Project (TZM 2.0)-Milestone One-System Definition

Nick Polimeni

Jun 29, 2011, 1:32:30 AM6/29/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
The first milestone of the Phoenix Project was to achieve a system definition on a high level, that would guide the details of the next phases of the project.

A preliminary analysis of idea submission through the brainstorming session, and other sources of ideas, gives the following result:

An all encompassing web site, with which will allow maximum free flow of information, easy to find, with features to accommodate a wide variety of projects and activities. Technically, it points to the use of one or more platforms, with the ability to converged on the same web pages. Drupal and CMS are amongst the underlying systems. Open Atrium is but a small portion taking advantage of the Drupal facilities. Further analysis through the compilation phase of the project, will flesh out more precise elements.

Next Phase:

While the brainstorming section is on-going, to add ideas, and refine existing ideas, the next Milestone is the Final Technical Specifications, the preparations for which is done in the Compilations of requirement stage.

You can follow the details on the wiki.

I would like to ask all developers who have not otherwise taken an assignment in a specific activity, that they contribute in the following way:

Review the brainstorming ideas.

Help consolidate similar ideas into a better whole.

Break them down into technical elements.

These three steps are essentially an abbreviated way of stating those activities in the wiki.

Thanks for your help

Nick Polimeni

Jun 29, 2011, 12:12:32 PM6/29/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
A user in the ZM-Chapters, on a post: "=ZM-Chapters=- Phoenix Project (TZM 2.0)-Milestone One-System Definition" recommended Concrete5. I reviewed the program, and I posted an answer, which I repeat here:

Other recipients:
I have reviewed somewhat superficially Concrete5. What I read describes what maybe called Content Management Software. Some elements also sound like there is some "integration" capability.

Do you know how to operate that system? Having personnel that is able to hit the ground running is one of the most important elements in the selection of software.

A second consideration is that we want to utilize the skills from existing programmers and developers. To accommodate that it makes it necessary to have probably a set of underlying systems that can live together, be it Drupal, Joomla, Concrete5, and so on.

A third consideration is that so much has been built that works, and that is located in many different places, that in order to avoid re-inventing the wheel, we have to consider Web Integration software. Accordingly, an application that works, can be patched into the Web integrator, and basically have it functional seamlessly with the master site.

One of the biggest problems isn't so much the lack of functional software, but their deployment and connectivity in such a way that a user can have easy access to anything he wants. For this problem, we have to consider a Content Management system.

We are now at the stage where such choices have to be made, and it is necessary that people who know these things in depth, take some time to interface with the project, so we have an optimum system, with the best available tools, and which has the flexibility to grow as technology advances.

So you're welcome to roll up your sleeves... and check out the wiki for the project, and integrate your ideas and asistance.

Cheers

Nick Polimeni

Jun 30, 2011, 9:43:49 AM6/30/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com

About the Global Developers' Team, and the Phoenix Project:

Partly from the old Development Team, was born the now Global Development Team, created by popular demand for greater coordination and better communication within the movement. Within the Global Development Team, a project was created, called the Phoenix Project aka TZM 2.0 Redesign, in order to address global concerns about the International Site, as well is international coordination, and cooperation.

The Phoenix Project its functions and plans are described in the wiki site, previously posted here:

http://wiki.zmlingteam.org/w/TZM_Re-design—The_Phoenix_Project

Part of the Phoenix Project mandate was to define the system to be created, which was the first Milestone, which has produced this description and definition of the Phoenix Project.

To create an all encompassing web site, with which will allow maximum free flow of information, easy to find, with features to accommodate a wide variety of projects and activities generated by teams and chapters. Technically, it points to the use of one or more platforms, with the ability to converged on the same web pages. Drupal and CMS are amongst the underlying systems. Open Atrium is but a small portion taking advantage of the Drupal facilities. Because of the wide variety of sources, and locations of ready or partially ready software and modules, two other key pieces of software will be considered: Web Site Integration and Content Management systems. The first, can gather information from any system anywhere, and make it appear in a web site, and the second, can manage the arrangement of the information thus gathered, all in a seamless system. This further allows user content management control, where he can, from a long list of components, create his own front page which contains what he needs and wants. Further analysis through the compilation phase of the project, will flesh out more precise elements.

Nick Polimeni

Aug 1, 2011, 12:43:24 PM8/1/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Three days ago I sent an update memo to all members of this group. If you didn't get it, let me know.

Those of you who want to get blow by blow progress details assuming you are signed up in the Atrium site, should set your subscriptions to "automatic" so that anything posted causes an email to be sent to you...

Cheers

David Z

Aug 1, 2011, 11:26:02 PM8/1/11
to zm-global...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dev Team

Are there any other projects in the Dev team apart from those listed in
Atrium?

please re

cheers

Nick Polimeni