ZIPKIN is not working after integrating MYSQL to store trace data.

Rasika Tamhane

Oct 12, 2023, 5:32:20 AM10/12/23
to zipkin-user
Hi,

I have configured Zipkin to my Spring boot application.
Stuck with an issue. Can you please help to resolve it?

Client -- Spring Boot Application
Zipkin Server -- latest jar downloaded - 2.24.3
Database used to store trace data --  MySQL

Issue -->
Usecase 1 --->
When my spring boot application is running, Zipkin Server has started with the command java -jar zipkin.2.24.3.jar --spring.config.name=zipkin-server.
Data is not visible on UI
Usecase 2 -->
When my spring boot application is running, Zipkin Server has started with the command java -jar zipkin.2.24.3.jar
Data is visible on UI but data is not persistent.

In both cases, MYSQL is not working as expected.

zipkin-server.properties contain MYSQL connection details -->
STORAGE_TYPE=mysql
MYSQL_SCHEMA: zipkin
MYSQL_DB: zipkin
MYSQL_USER: username
MYSQL_PASS: password
MYSQL_DRIVER: com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver
MYSQL_JDBC_URL: jdbc:mysql://hostname:3306/zipkin?autoReconnect=true&useSSL=false&useUnicode=yes&characterEncoding=UTF-8
QUERY_ENABLED: true
SEARCH_ENABLED: true

Started the spring boot application.
Addition in the application -->
  1. pom.xml
 <dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.cloud</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-cloud-starter-zipkin</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.cloud</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-cloud-starter-sleuth</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-actuator</artifactId>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.springframework.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>spring-boot-starter-web</artifactId>
</dependency>

2. Application.yml
spring:
zipkin:
enabled: true
base-url: http://localhost:9411/
send:
type: web
sleuth:
enabled: true

MySql database was created with schema Zipkin and created its tables as
binary_annotations,zipkin_annotations,zipkin_dependencies,zipkin_spans.

Thanks,
Rasika.