On Brave 6

Adrian Cole

Apr 19, 2020, 10:25:25 PM4/19/20
to zipkin-dev
I know not everyone are on gitter or watching github. I've pasted the first text of the issue to track Brave 6 for your convenience

22 May 2020 will be 2 years of compatibility brought by minor updates of Brave 5. It is nearing time for another major release. Doing so will reduce burden both code and cognitive arising from deprecated features.

Similar to when we migrated from Brave 4 -> 5, 5 -> 6 should only remove deprecated features. Once out, it should not add anything except bug fixes for a quiet period while we do limited co-releases between master and a 5.x branch.

Prior to then, we should help the ecosystem move off any deprecated features now in use. Sometimes this will be imperfect. For example ExtraFieldsPropagation is backported over BaggagePropagation. However the ExtraFieldCustomizer type, as rarely used as it is, pins users. We should particularly look for usage of things like this and clear them out way ahead of the major release.

Issues related to this could be tagged Milestone 6, but also similar to last release, let's not set mountain moving goals meanwhile. The most important thing is continuity and compatibility, so if resources are available, lets finish half-complete work and help people migrate to recent Brave 5 before big new projects.