zipkin-otel (and notes on extension projects)

Adrian Cole

Jan 1, 2024, 8:08:48 PMJan 1
to zipkin-dev
As mentioned before, I spent time in Dec with highest priority cleaning up the main projects so that they are current. I also helped move the helm chart to zipkin-helm where it can evolve and be led by helm experts. I removed the remnants of a sky walking experiment and mentioned it is safer to proceed in contrib. Finally, I put a pause on Otel work which also was headed towards the prod repos, but for the same reasons better to put in its own.

## On otel

I chatted to Tommy after looking at Marcin's attempts to progress Otel protocols, basically that this is the same type effort as  GCP, except for protocols defined by OTEL instead. So the basic plan was to open a new repo for otel and that could consolidate the mapping concerns which apply both to Zipkin and Brave, and still offer a drop-in zipkin docker image. I opened the repo and mentioned things could proceed there. Tommy was under the weather, and I felt it would be easier for folks to see what a clean slate project for 2024 would look like. So, I woke up at 5 and spent the last 4 hours scaffolding https://github.com/openzipkin-contrib/zipkin-otel with faked out http and grpc endpoints

docker run --rm -p 9411:9411 ghcr.io/openzipkin-contrib/zipkin-otel:main

curl localhost:9411/health
{
  "status" : "UP",
  "zipkin" : {
    "status" : "UP",
    "details" : {
      "OpenTelemetryGrpcCollector{}" : {
        "status" : "UP"
      },
      "OpenTelemetryHttpCollector{}" : {
        "status" : "UP"
      },
      "InMemoryStorage{}" : {
        "status" : "UP"
      }
    }
  }
}

## On SkyWalking

Now that there is a fresh repo, if any of the ten or so maintainers and sky walking want to do a sky walking impl similarly, feel free to open a repo and copy/paste find/replace from commit 168d34c12ac5b0dc3a7659b3cc25a9740a8d6846 on https://github.com/openzipkin-contrib/zipkin-otel

As I have to focus on day job, I won't be personally doing all grunt work anymore, but hope the fresh scaffolding helps, if someone is interested in moving other things forward.

Have a good new year!
-Adrian

Mick Semb Wever

Jan 2, 2024, 5:41:04 AMJan 2
to zipkin-dev
## On otel

I chatted to Tommy after looking at Marcin's attempts to progress Otel protocols, basically that this is the same type effort as  GCP, except for protocols defined by OTEL instead. So the basic plan was to open a new repo for otel and that could consolidate the mapping concerns which apply both to Zipkin and Brave, and still offer a drop-in zipkin docker image. I opened the repo and mentioned things could proceed there. Tommy was under the weather, and I felt it would be easier for folks to see what a clean slate project for 2024 would look like. So, I woke up at 5 and spent the last 4 hours scaffolding https://github.com/openzipkin-contrib/zipkin-otel with faked out http and grpc endpoints

 Thank you for this Adrian!