Donating zipkin-instrumentation-sql to openzipkin-contrib

José Carlos Chávez

Sep 1, 2020, 6:09:04 AM9/1/20
to zipki...@googlegroups.com, Bas van Beek
zipkin-instrumentation-sql is a library that instruments the standard database/sql package for golang and it is highly inspired in the ocsql library built by @Bas van Beek. Over the last couple of years I've been maintaining zipkin-instrumentation-sql in my own github account but I understand some people are reluctant to use a wrapper to the database driver from an unknown guy under the alias jcchavezs.

Hence I think it is a good idea to donate it to openzipkin-contrib and then give the sense it is backed by the Zipkin team (although nothing will change in practice as I will keep maintaining it). This library is being used in prod by my former former employer.

This is not exactly a vote but more me hearing concerns from you.

- JC

bas.v...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2020, 6:21:14 AM9/1/20
to zipkin-dev
Hi JC,

I welcome the idea to donate to openzipkin-contrib and will help keep it up to date. As said it might pull some people over the finish line to feel comfortable using it, as well as aid in discoverability.

Bas

Adrian Cole

Sep 1, 2020, 9:05:01 PM9/1/20
to zipki...@googlegroups.com
SGTM and thanks! for name collision maybe zipkin-go-X

Jorg Heymans

Sep 2, 2020, 2:06:51 AM9/2/20
to zipki...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, zipkin-go-instrumentation-sql similar to zipkin-go-opentracing.

Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya

Sep 2, 2020, 4:55:06 AM9/2/20
to zipki...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, +1 on the donation and fixing the prefix to `zipkin-go-`.

Thanks JC!