Geospatial database support + Decimal data types

Kezzer

Aug 2, 2010, 11:45:34 AM8/2/10
to zigGIS
Hi there,

I've just run zigGIS for the first time which was very straight-
forward. Does zigGIS only support shape files? Is it because GDB's
are an ESRI proprietary format?

Secondly, and the more confusing issue, is that I've attempted to load
a few shape files which state that the Decimal data type isn't
supported in that shape file and so I can't load them at all. The
thing is, it was ArcGIS that generated those shape files, and we use
those shape files. Is this because PostGIS imported the data
incorrectly and trying to load them in ArcGIS causes problems?

Cheers

xanadont

Aug 2, 2010, 12:03:42 PM8/2/10
to zigGIS
I'm not sure I quite understand your question about GDB vs.
Shapefiles. Technically, zigGIS supports *neither* format; it only
supports data that comes from PostGIS. There are many different ways
and utilities for getting GIS data into PostGIS. I'm sure you're
already familiar with shp2psql for translating shapefile data into SQL
Insert scripts for importing into PostGIS. There are other tools
available such as ogr2ogr (see http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=ogr_cheatsheet)
and, the very impressive FWTools (see http://fwtools.maptools.org/).

Now for the decimal type - yes zigGIS does not support this type but
all that's necessary is simply changing the column type in Postgres to
double.

Good luck.

-Abe

Kieran Senior

Aug 3, 2010, 4:54:52 AM8/3/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, you're correct, that's a PostGIS thing and unrelated.

As for converting to decimals, that worked a treat.  The only problem I now have is that in ArcGIS the map rendering isn't quite right.  It's not drawing all polygons dependent on the current zoom level, compared with using the actual shape file to view a map which renders fine.  Will have to look into this further.

Cheers

Kieran Senior

Kezzer

Aug 3, 2010, 5:50:27 AM8/3/10
to zigGIS
I've attached a file to this group called "buildings". From this you
can see the issue I'm having with rendering using ArcGIS + zigGIS.
The reddish coloured blocks are the zigGIS layer rendering, and the
purply ones are the actual shape file. They both contain the exact
same data. The zigGIS one only renders some of it until you zoom in
really close.

Anyone encountered this issue? As I say, it only happens with the
zigGIS data, not the shape files themselves.

Cheers

On Aug 2, 5:03 pm, xanadont <abe.gilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I quite understand your question about GDB vs.
> Shapefiles. Technically, zigGIS supports *neither* format; it only
> supports data that comes from PostGIS.  There are many different ways
> and utilities for getting GIS data into PostGIS.  I'm sure you're
> already familiar with shp2psql for translating shapefile data into SQL
> Insert scripts for importing into PostGIS.  There are other tools
> available such as ogr2ogr (seehttp://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=ogr_cheats...)
> and, the very impressive FWTools (seehttp://fwtools.maptools.org/).

Kieran Senior

Aug 3, 2010, 8:52:41 AM8/3/10
to zigGIS
Ignore the last message, just realised that we're using the trial version so it can't render all that anyway.  Gives us a good reason to buy it!

Thanks again.

Kieran Senior