future of ziggis

Duarte Carreira

Apr 11, 2011, 9:50:51 AM4/11/11
to zigGIS
Hello people.

I have watched this project for the last few years with interest, and
was curious to know what is the plan.

I read the threads saying 3.0 was dependent on funding from 2.0. And
support for ArcGIS 10 is bound to 3.0.

Now that ArcGIS 10 is the mainstream version for a while, I guess
there's not much expectations for selling to ArcGIS 9.3 users (must be
few now).

So what's to expect from ziggis? Would you consider making 2.0 open
source as is? Is 3.0 on the way? Is this the end? How to make this
project a more viable/active one?

Thanks,
Duarte

xanadont

Apr 11, 2011, 2:18:32 PM4/11/11
to zigGIS
My first attempt to raise money failed: the project was rejected by
Kickstarter.com

We are currently in talks with a company that is interested in forming
a partnership. I'll know more and will be able to announce the
outcome in hopefully no more than two weeks' time. And don't worry,
the commitment to v3 being open source is steadfast.

Now, v2.x - I've said it before that I'm happy to update zigGIS to
work with ArcGIS 10 if someone is willing to donate the cost of an
ArcGIS developer license which is $2000 -
http://store.esri.com/esri/showdetl.cfm?SID=2&Product_ID=1046&Category_ID=168
Now, I will open source and make totally free v2 the moment v3 has
been fully funded. But for now I will continue to sell licenses
online.

-Abe

Duarte Carreira

Apr 11, 2011, 3:44:20 PM4/11/11
to zig...@googlegroups.com, xanadont
hi abe.

good to know what's planned.

i wish i could help out, but don't have the cash ;)

Regards,
Duarte