ArcGIS 10

wcleland

Aug 5, 2010, 4:10:11 PM8/5/10
to zigGIS
Is there a fix to allow zigGIS to work in ArcGIS 10?

Bill

Aug 5, 2010, 4:37:11 PM8/5/10
to zigGIS
Probably not in the near term. We have not tested zigGIS 2.x with
ArcGIS 10 at all. We may defer any such activity until 3.x. I have
migrated other applications to ArcGIS 10.0 and have found it to be
pretty smooth but there are enough small issues to make regression
testing an effort. Also, some existing objects have been moved to
different libraries at 10.0. There's enough change that we would
probably need a separate branch for 10.0. That may not make sense this
late in the game with zigGIS 2.x.

Bill

Abe Gillespie

Aug 5, 2010, 7:12:52 PM8/5/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
I agree. What's more is we need to upgrade our developer license to
cover ArcGIS 10. With any luck our fund raising efforts for zigGIS
3.0 will afford us that ability. We would also accept a donation
specifically to cover those licensing costs.

-Abe

Sam

Sep 8, 2010, 1:56:09 AM9/8/10
to zigGIS
I bought two seats of zig. I still have a 9.3 installation that works
great... but I've upgraded my second machine to Arc 10. Just for fun
I tried zig 2.0.5 with ArcGIS 10. Simply doesn't show up as an
available extension. Is there a time line for v3 of zig? 2011?
2012? Will the 64-bit jump of ArcGIS at 10.1 be an issue for zig?

On Aug 5, 6:12 pm, Abe Gillespie <abe.gilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree.  What's more is we need to upgrade our developer license to
> cover ArcGIS 10.  With any luck our fund raising efforts for zigGIS
> 3.0 will afford us that ability.  We would also accept a donation
> specifically to cover those licensing costs.
>
> -Abe

Bill Dollins

Sep 9, 2010, 9:25:58 PM9/9/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear about 10.1. The 64-bit move is only for ArcGIS Server,
which has no effect on zigGIS. At 10.1, ArcGIS Desktop will remain 32-bit.

Your experience with 10.0 is not surprising as we have not even tested it
with 10.0 yet. I have been thinking about doing it on my own but that will
be time permitting.

Bill Dollins, Senior Vice President
Zekiah Technologies, Inc.
bi...@zekiah.com

Abe Gillespie

Sep 9, 2010, 9:28:54 PM9/9/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
The timeline and any features all completely depend on funding and
community input. To help a little bit I can say this - once funding
is secured it should take around 6 - 10 months to deliver an initial
working version. Bill is on his way to present at GIS in the Rockies.
Accompanying him is our newly minted schedule of support we'll offer
and other ways to help fund zigGIS v3. Once he returns we'll see
about publishing his slides and materials.

-Abe

Abe Gillespie

Sep 9, 2010, 9:39:31 PM9/9/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
Because of another contract I'm working on (non-zigGIS) I know for a
fact that you must now use ESRI's new ESRIRegAsm utility when
registering 3rd party tools. Unfortunately it's against my contract
agreement to do any actual testing with zigGIS so I couldn't tell you
if that's the *only* thing that's required.

If you're good with the command line you can try installing zigGIS and
then running ESRIRegAsm against it like this:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\binESRIRegAsm" /p:desktop
"C:\Program Files\Obtuse\zigGIS\Obtuse.ZigGis.dll"

(or whatever the appropriate paths are on your system)

More info here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//0001000004n6000000

If anyone can verify this works then I can probably put together an
installer that targets both 9.x and 10. But don't get your hopes up,
there are other things that changed with ArcGIS 10 and I highly doubt
this is the only fix necessary.

Also, we're more than happy to take donations for an ESRI developer license. :)

-Abe

Abe Gillespie

Sep 9, 2010, 9:41:04 PM9/9/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
Correction:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\ESRIRegAsm" /p:desktop

"C:\Program Files\Obtuse\zigGIS\Obtuse.ZigGis.dll"

(all one line and added missing "\")

-Abe

Doctor Who

Sep 21, 2010, 9:10:09 AM9/21/10
to zigGIS
I've upgrade too for ArcGIS 10, we will receive it during next month,
hope there will be an issue to use ZigGIS in ArcGIS 10 :(

On 10 sep, 03:41, Abe Gillespie <abe.gilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Correction:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\ESRIRegAsm" /p:desktop
> "C:\Program Files\Obtuse\zigGIS\Obtuse.ZigGis.dll"
>
> (all one line and added missing "\")
>
> -Abe
>

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Abe Gillespie <abe.gilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Because of another contract I'm working on (non-zigGIS) I know for a
> > fact that you must now use ESRI's new ESRIRegAsm utility when
> > registering 3rd party tools.  Unfortunately it's against my contract
> > agreement to do any actual testing with zigGIS so I couldn't tell you
> > if that's the *only* thing that's required.
>
> > If you're good with the command line you can try installing zigGIS and
> > then running ESRIRegAsm against it like this:
>
> > "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\binESRIRegAsm" /p:desktop
> > "C:\Program Files\Obtuse\zigGIS\Obtuse.ZigGis.dll"
>
> > (or whatever the appropriate paths are on your system)
>
> > More info here:
> >http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/inde...
>
> > If anyone can verify this works then I can probably put together an
> > installer that targets both 9.x and 10.  But don't get your hopes up,
> > there are other things that changed with ArcGIS 10 and I highly doubt
> > this is the only fix necessary.
>
> > Also, we're more than happy to take donations for an ESRI developer license. :)
>
> > -Abe
>
> > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Bill Dollins <b...@zekiah.com> wrote:
> >> Just to be clear about 10.1. The 64-bit move is only for ArcGIS Server,
> >> which has no effect on zigGIS. At 10.1, ArcGIS Desktop will remain 32-bit.
>
> >> Your experience with 10.0 is not surprising as we have not even tested it
> >> with 10.0 yet. I have been thinking about doing it on my own but that will
> >> be time permitting.
>
> >> Bill Dollins, Senior Vice President
> >> Zekiah Technologies, Inc.
> >> b...@zekiah.com

Sam Batzli

Sep 21, 2010, 10:55:24 AM9/21/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the feedback.  I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

I'm sort of at a cross roads it seems.  I can pay big bucks for the ESRI data interop extension, or try to get ArcSDE to play with my linux postgis database (but I'm running RHEL5 64-bit and ArcSDE for linux is 32-bit RHEL4... at least 9.3 was) ...or I can count on ZigGIS, which is the path I've taken up to now (already paid for 3-licenses to date).  I think it is cool that v3 will be "free" and I recognize your dilemma of not being able to work for free.  But I'm working off of grant money and it is easier to pay for a product than invest in an idea.  I'm more of a consumer than an investor, I guess.  I think ZigGIS is great and it has helped me do my work efficiently.  I have no regrets for my purchases.  I just hope it will continue to move forward.

-- Sam

hughstimson

Sep 21, 2010, 8:18:26 PM9/21/10
to zigGIS
Hi Abe, I'm currently using the ArcGIS 10 evaluation, and I tried
following your instructions to register the zigGIS 2.0 evaluation.

Sadly (perhaps predictably) it errorerd out, and zigGIS does not
appear to be available in the list of toolbars for ArcMap.

Screenshot:
http://groups.google.com/group/ziggis/web/21-09-2010%205-08-20%20PM.jpg

I checked the file paths and I think I got them right.

On Sep 9, 6:41 pm, Abe Gillespie <abe.gilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Correction:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\ESRIRegAsm" /p:desktop
> "C:\Program Files\Obtuse\zigGIS\Obtuse.ZigGis.dll"
>
> (all one line and added missing "\")
>
> -Abe
>

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Abe Gillespie <abe.gilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Because of another contract I'm working on (non-zigGIS) I know for a
> > fact that you must now use ESRI's new ESRIRegAsm utility when
> > registering 3rd party tools.  Unfortunately it's against my contract
> > agreement to do any actual testing with zigGIS so I couldn't tell you
> > if that's the *only* thing that's required.
>
> > If you're good with the command line you can try installing zigGIS and
> > then running ESRIRegAsm against it like this:
>
> > "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\binESRIRegAsm" /p:desktop
> > "C:\Program Files\Obtuse\zigGIS\Obtuse.ZigGis.dll"
>
> > (or whatever the appropriate paths are on your system)
>
> > More info here:
> >http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/inde...
>
> > If anyone can verify this works then I can probably put together an
> > installer that targets both 9.x and 10.  But don't get your hopes up,
> > there are other things that changed with ArcGIS 10 and I highly doubt
> > this is the only fix necessary.
>
> > Also, we're more than happy to take donations for an ESRI developer license. :)
>
> > -Abe
>
> > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Bill Dollins <b...@zekiah.com> wrote:
> >> Just to be clear about 10.1. The 64-bit move is only for ArcGIS Server,
> >> which has no effect on zigGIS. At 10.1, ArcGIS Desktop will remain 32-bit.
>
> >> Your experience with 10.0 is not surprising as we have not even tested it
> >> with 10.0 yet. I have been thinking about doing it on my own but that will
> >> be time permitting.
>
> >> Bill Dollins, Senior Vice President
> >> Zekiah Technologies, Inc.
> >> b...@zekiah.com

xanadont

Sep 22, 2010, 12:19:46 PM9/22/10
to zigGIS
Yep, I will have to create a build specifically targeted at the new
ArcGIS 10 libraries. There's no way the current installer will work.

Sam (from earlier in the thread),
I would be happy to create a zigGIS 2.x + ArcGIS 10 installer and
officially support ArcGIS 10 but I do not have an ArcGIS 10 developer
license. Again, I'd either be happy to accept a donation to completely
cover that need or take multiple donations until I have enough. But
until then my hands are tied.

Anyone may donate here:
http://pub.obtusesoft.com/source.aspx

-Abe