Select feature running really slow using ZigGIS

Vaish

Jul 16, 2010, 3:10:57 PM7/16/10
to zigGIS
Hi,
I'm using postgres and ZigGIS 2.0.5 for a while now. It works
great other than the fact that when I have 13 layers coming from
postgres database, and I use the select feature its really really
slow. I'm using ArcEditor 9.3
Below is what I found :

If I have 1 layer - the selection on map view for layer 1 takes 5
seconds
If I have 2 layers - the selection on map view for layer 1 takes 11
seconds (even though the second layer in turned off and 1st layer is
("make this the only selectable layer")
If I have 3 different layers - the selection on map view for layer 1
takes 26 seconds (even though the second & third layer in turned off
and 1st layer is ("make this the only selectable layer").
If I have 13 layers - It takes 1 minute to make the selection.

Can you please tell me what can be done to make the selection faster?
I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Vaish

steven citron-pousty

Jul 16, 2010, 3:41:05 PM7/16/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
Caching make this incredibly fast - but you may run out of memory. Other than that I would highly reccomend it!

Vaish

Jul 19, 2010, 12:13:35 PM7/19/10
to zigGIS
Hi Steven, Thank you for the reply. I tried Map Cache but still
doesn't not work. it takes more than a minute to make a selection on
map.
If I open the attribute table for that layer, I can see the selection
in attribute table is instant but on map its takes long time.
Any other advice ?

thanks,
Vaish

On Jul 16, 2:41 pm, steven citron-pousty <scitronpou...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Caching make this incredibly fast - but you may run out of memory. Other
> than that I would highly reccomend it!
>
> > ziggis+un...@googlegroups.com<ziggis%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Abe Gillespie

Jul 19, 2010, 12:23:34 PM7/19/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean by "Map Cache"? Steve was referring to setting up
zigGIS-specific caching as outlined in the zigGIS readme.txt file.
Unfortunately this is the only way to speed up zigGIS. I've done some
profiling of this issue but wasn't able to really find a single,
problematic bottleneck.

This is one of the bigger pain points we hope to fix in version 3.0.

-Abe

Vaish

Jul 19, 2010, 12:56:34 PM7/19/10
to zigGIS
Thank you Abe for clearing that . I was trying ArcMap map cache.
My mistake, I should have read the readme.txt. It's working now and
the selection is super fast.

thanks,
Vaish

On Jul 19, 11:23 am, Abe Gillespie <abe.gilles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean by "Map Cache"? Steve was referring to setting up
> zigGIS-specific caching as outlined in the zigGIS readme.txt file.
> Unfortunately this is the only way to speed up zigGIS. I've done some
> profiling of this issue but wasn't able to really find a single,
> problematic bottleneck.
>
> This is one of the bigger pain points we hope to fix in version 3.0.
>
> -Abe

steven citron-pousty

Jul 19, 2010, 1:01:32 PM7/19/10
to zig...@googlegroups.com
Again Abe, I think you should tell people to turn it on by default but watch for memory problems. If they are eval'ing ZigGIS they are going to say it is too slow and give up before they realize the power.

Most people (myself included) never read the readme.txt. The out of box experience needs to be better and I don't think most people are going to hit the memory issue to start with.

My 2cents
Steve