Info about Philips Hue Bulb for ZigBee4Java

Andrea Cioni

May 8, 2015, 9:09:00 AM5/8/15
to zigbe...@googlegroups.com
Hi ZigBee4Java Team,

Recently my company have started to work with your ZigBee4Java project in order to control some devices. Now it's time to test our work and we have noticed that for your test you have used Philips Hue Bulb but we don't understand (and this is what we would like to know from you) if we have to buy only the lamp or we need also the "router" included into some starter kit.

Thanks for the answer and, also, for your good work on ZigBee4Java, it's a very cool open source project,
Best Regards,

Andrea Cioni,

Negentis s.r.l (http://www.negentis.com/)

Chris Jackson

May 8, 2015, 9:39:56 AM5/8/15
to zigbe...@googlegroups.com, cio...@gmail.com
Hi,
You need to purchase the CC2531EMK (ie the TI dongle that provides the ZigBee coordinator function), but you don't need the Philips Hue Bridge.  You might also want to get a Hue remote control so that you can reset the bulbs - otherwise once they are installed into a network, it's not possible to reset them, which means if you reset the dongle, you won't be able to get the bulb to join the new network.

Chris

yu...@targetv.com

Jun 26, 2015, 3:28:00 AM6/26/15
to zigbe...@googlegroups.com, cio...@gmail.com
Hi, Chris,

You might also want to get a Hue remote control so that you can reset the bulbs - otherwise once they are installed into a network, it's not possible to reset them, which means if you reset the dongle, you won't be able to get the bulb to join the new network.

Is this the Hue remote control you mentioned to reset the bulbs?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Hue-Remote-Control-for-Light-Bulbs-Aura-Iris-Bloom-Lamp-BR30-A19-GU-/151664940674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234fef5682
(The description doesn't tell how to reset bulb)

I'm trying openHAB2 Zigbee binding with CC2531 dongle and Philips hue bulb. But it doesn't work by now, logs show dongle initialized and online but doesn't find Hue bulb. I have reset Hue bridge (with bulb power on) before doing this testing. Does this reset the bulb to factory new status? Any direction on how to check the problem?

Thanks in advance.

BR,
Fisher

Chris Jackson

Jun 26, 2015, 12:06:46 PM6/26/15
to yu...@targetv.com, zigbe...@googlegroups.com, cio...@gmail.com

> Is this the Hue remote control you mentioned to reset the bulbs?
It might be ok - I’m not 100% sure. My one is a round remote. There’s a youtube video somewhere that shows how to reset, but you hold down two buttons (the I and the one with the single dot) for a few seconds with the remove VERY close to the bulb. When you do this, after a few seconds the bulb will start to flash and then stop...

> I'm trying openHAB2 Zigbee binding with CC2531 dongle and Philips hue bulb. But it doesn't work by now, logs show dongle initialized and online but doesn't find Hue bulb. I have reset Hue bridge (with bulb power on) before doing this testing. Does this reset the bulb to factory new status? Any direction on how to check the problem?
As above, when the bulb resets, it should flash. Then when you start the console, type “join enable” and the bulb should join the network. Type list to see if it’s attached.

Chris

yu...@targetv.com

Jun 27, 2015, 6:54:36 AM6/27/15
to zigbe...@googlegroups.com, cio...@gmail.com, yu...@targetv.com
Chris,

Thanks for the info.

> As above, when the bulb resets, it should flash. Then when you start the console, type “join enable” and the bulb should join the network. Type list to see if it’s attached.

Do you mean the OSGi console?
It reported "gogo: CommandNotFoundException: Command not found: join" when I issued "join enable". (Version of Zigbee binding is 2.0.0.201505270639, and is in ACTIVE status)

Sorry for the noob question.

BR,
Fisher

Chris Jackson

Jun 27, 2015, 7:02:39 AM6/27/15
to yu...@targetv.com, zigbe...@googlegroups.com

>> As above, when the bulb resets, it should flash. Then when you start the console, type “join enable” and the bulb should join the network. Type list to see if it’s attached.
>>

> Do you mean the OSGi console?
> It reported "gogo: CommandNotFoundException: Command not found: join" when I issued "join enable". (Version of Zigbee binding is 2.0.0.201505270639, and is in ACTIVE status)

Ok - so I gather from this that you are running openHAB? It would possibly be best to ask the question on the OH2 list rather than here (or at least mention that you are using OH2 :) ).

So, no, I didn’t mean the OSGI console as I thought that you were running the zigbee4java console app. For OH2, this is done for you when you enable discovery for the zigbee binding in the HABmin.

david.m...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 1:05:38 PM10/15/16
to zigbee4java, cio...@gmail.com

I'am also trying to add a Hue bulb using zigbee4java. I've reset the bulb using the LivingColors remote (On Button + Scene 1 button for 5 seconds) and I've also checked the channel with the packet sniffer. I also see the beacons the device is sending. I've tried to add the device using the example gateway-server (using the "join enable" command) but nothing happened. Did I miss something?

david.m...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2016, 8:17:57 AM10/16/16
to zigbee4java, cio...@gmail.com
Am Freitag, 8. Mai 2015 15:09:00 UTC+2 schrieb Andrea Cioni:

Update: I figured the problem out. I've tried to add old LivingColors light, but those lights doesn't seam to support the network join. (On my Hue bridge I had to use the remote to add those lights) I've now also tried it with one of the newer bulbs and it worked, but the bulb had to be near the TI usb stick.

I also have a few Hue Tap switches. I've also tried to add one of those, but that also didn't work. (When adding the switches to the Hue bridge I have to press the big button for 10 seconds) Are the Hue Tap switches supported?