installation trouble

stefan....@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2007, 1:15:01 AM7/12/07
to zfs-fuse
Hello,
I hope you guys can help me. I'm trying to install ZFS on FUSE
using the directions at www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE/Debian (cached
by google at
http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:HMJI81u01SMJ:www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE/Debian+http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE/Debian&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)
and I'm having trouble when it comes to the actual installing. All of
the steps work except for the last one.
This is what happens:

~$ sudo dpkg -i zfs-
fuse_0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 16787 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to replace zfs-fuse
0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0 (using zfs-
fuse_0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement zfs-fuse ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zfs-fuse:
zfs-fuse depends on fuse-utils; however:
Package fuse-utils is not installed.
dpkg: error processing zfs-fuse (--install):
zfs-fuse
~$

I don't really know what could have gone wrong, since there don't seem
to be any errors from the previous steps. I am doing this on a fresh
install (of ubuntu feisty fawn) and I've reformatted a couple of times
in order to try to make this work.
please help me
thank you

Luca Dionisi

Jul 12, 2007, 10:22:53 AM7/12/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On 7/12/07, stefan....@gmail.com <stefan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I hope you guys can help me. I'm trying to install ZFS on FUSE
> using the directions at www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE/Debian (cached
> by google at
> http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:HMJI81u01SMJ:www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE/Debian+http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE/Debian&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us)
> and I'm having trouble when it comes to the actual installing. All of
> the steps work except for the last one.
> This is what happens:
>
> ~$ sudo dpkg -i zfs-
> fuse_0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0_i386.deb
> (Reading database ... 16787 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Preparing to replace zfs-fuse
> 0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0 (using zfs-
> fuse_0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement zfs-fuse ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zfs-fuse:
> zfs-fuse depends on fuse-utils; however:
> Package fuse-utils is not installed.

So, install fuse-utils first.

sudo apt-get install fuse-utils

HTH
--Luca

stefan....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2007, 11:19:20 AM7/15/07
to zfs-fuse
On Jul 12, 10:22 am, "Luca Dionisi" <luca.dion...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/12/07, stefan.sulli...@gmail.com <stefan.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> > I hope you guys can help me. I'm trying to install ZFS on FUSE
> > using the directions atwww.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE/Debian(cached
> > by google at
> >http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:HMJI81u01SMJ:www.wizy.org/wiki/Z...)

> > and I'm having trouble when it comes to the actual installing. All of
> > the steps work except for the last one.
> > This is what happens:
>
> > ~$ sudo dpkg -i zfs-
> > fuse_0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0_i386.deb
> > (Reading database ... 16787 files and directories currently
> > installed.)
> > Preparing to replace zfs-fuse
> > 0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0 (using zfs-
> > fuse_0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0_i386.deb) ...
> > Unpacking replacement zfs-fuse ...
> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zfs-fuse:
> > zfs-fuse depends on fuse-utils; however:
> > Package fuse-utils is not installed.
>
> So, install fuse-utils first.
>
> sudo apt-get install fuse-utils
>
> HTH
> --Luca

Well, That may or may not have helped, but I'm not sure - I'm still
stuck. I tried installing fuse-utils, and for some reason it
complained about unmet dependencies (I thought that was the whole
point of repositories). So when I tried installing ucf (which is what
fuse-utils was asking for) it complained about an unmet dependency
with zfs-fuse. So, I decided to try installing all 3 at the same time
and I get:

~$ sudo apt-get install zfs-fuse
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
zfs-fuse is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up zfs-fuse
(0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0) ...
[: 214: ==: unexpected operator
* Unmounting ZFS filesystems...
connect: No such file or directory
Please make sure that the zfs-fuse daemon is running.
internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library
...fail!
[: 214: ==: unexpected operator
invoke-rc.d: initscript zfs-fuse, action "restart" failed.
dpkg: error processing zfs-fuse (--configure):

zfs-fuse

This is the same thing that happens when i type in "sudo dpkg -i zfs-
fuse_0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0_i386.deb".
So, I thought I might try uninstalling and starting over:

~$ sudo apt-get remove zfs-fuse
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
zfs-fuse
The following packages will be REMOVED:
zfs-fuse
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 2589kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 16823 files and directories currently
installed.)
Removing zfs-fuse ...
* Unmounting ZFS filesystems...
connect: No such file or directory
Please make sure that the zfs-fuse daemon is running.
internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library
...fail!
[: 214: ==: unexpected operator
invoke-rc.d: initscript zfs-fuse, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing zfs-fuse (--remove):
subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

zfs-fuse

ssulliva@stg:~$

please help. are there any known issues with zfs on ubuntu (fiesty)?

Luca Dionisi

Jul 15, 2007, 11:43:02 AM7/15/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On 7/15/07, stefan....@gmail.com <stefan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> please help. are there any known issues with zfs on ubuntu (fiesty)?

I'm using zfs-fuse on feisty fawn

Try this way:
- get the source from
https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6836
- install with aptitude (or apt-get) the following
- fuse-utils
- scons
- read instructions to build and install from file INSTALL in the tar.bz2

I did like this.

--Luca

Bryan Donlan

Jul 15, 2007, 12:02:45 PM7/15/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

Ack, that looks like a bug in my package. I'll take a look at it later tonight.

stefan....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2007, 3:06:38 PM7/15/07
to zfs-fuse
after unzipping zfs-fuse-0.4.0_alpha1.tar.bz2, I do not see an INSTALL
file. Can you be a little more specific as to where to find it. I'm
still kind of a newb when it comes to installing manually (thanks to
apt-get). I'm especially a newb when it comes to unzipping in linux.
thanks

On Jul 15, 11:43 am, "Luca Dionisi" <luca.dion...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/15/07, stefan.sulli...@gmail.com <stefan.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > please help. are there any known issues with zfs on ubuntu (fiesty)?
>
> I'm using zfs-fuse on feisty fawn
>
> Try this way:

> - get the source fromhttps://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6836

Luca Dionisi

Jul 15, 2007, 3:55:47 PM7/15/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
> after unzipping zfs-fuse-0.4.0_alpha1.tar.bz2, I do not see an INSTALL

download beta, not alpha

tar xf <filename>.tar.gz
cd <filename>
nano INSTALL

Anyway, Bryan Donlan will correct the error in apt repository, he said.

--Luca

Chris Samuel

Jul 15, 2007, 7:52:30 PM7/15/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, July 16, 2007 1:19 am, stefan....@gmail.com said:

> Setting up zfs-fuse
> (0.4.0~beta1.hg20070418.227.22a65c23850b-0~pre0) ...
> [: 214: ==: unexpected operator

[...]

> internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library
> ...fail!
> [: 214: ==: unexpected operator

Wild guess time - you are using Ubuntu where /bin/sh is not bash
and the package has scripts referencing /bin/sh but uses bash-only
syntax for part of its tests..

cheers,
Chris
--
Chris Samuel, Melbourne, Australia
http://www.csamuel.org/

Luca Dionisi

Jul 16, 2007, 3:04:43 AM7/16/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On 7/16/07, Chris Samuel <ch...@csamuel.org> wrote:
> Wild guess time - you are using Ubuntu where /bin/sh is not bash
> and the package has scripts referencing /bin/sh but uses bash-only
> syntax for part of its tests..

Wouldn't that be a bug in the package scripts?

--Luca

Chris Samuel

Jul 16, 2007, 8:21:58 AM7/16/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Luca Dionisi wrote:

> Wouldn't that be a bug in the package scripts?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. :-)

--
Chris Samuel : http://www.csamuel.org/ : Melbourne, VIC

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP

signature.asc

Bryan Donlan

Jul 16, 2007, 11:58:30 AM7/16/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

This is a very old version of the zfs-fuse package; the bug in
question should've been fixed in 0.4.0~beta1.hg20070424-0~pre1 .
Please check that your /etc/apt/sources.list entry is correct, run
apt-get update, and try again.

stefan....@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2007, 2:32:36 PM7/21/07
to zfs-fuse
Unfortuantely it still does not work. I reinstalled the system and
tried getting the package it didn't install:

~$ sudo apt-get install zfs-fuse

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely
that
that package should be filed.

zfs-fuse: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.5-5) but 2.5-0ubuntu14 is to be
installed
E: Broken packages
~$ sudo apt-get install libc6

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done

libc6 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
~$ uname -r
2.6.20-15-server

Is the package expecting an older version of the kernel? It says
2.5-0ubuntu is not installed, but my kernel is 2.6. I made sure that
the package is in the sources.list file ("deb http://www.fushizen.net/zfs-fuse
./").

stefan....@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2007, 3:06:03 PM7/21/07
to zfs-fuse
However it looks like I got it working. I tried downloading the file
from https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6836
and installing using the instructions, but it gave me errors about not
having stdlib.h and stdio.h and things of the such. I searched and
decided to install libstdc++6-dev from the repositiories. After that
the apt-get install zfs-fuse didn't work, but installing from the file
i got on berlios.de worked. I have since created (i think) pools and
the like. I do wonder if raid-z is supported by any chance?
thanks

On Jul 21, 2:32 pm, "stefan.sulli...@gmail.com"

> the package is in the sources.list file ("debhttp://www.fushizen.net/zfs-fuse

Bryan Donlan

Jul 21, 2007, 4:59:42 PM7/21/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

libc6 is the C library, not the kernel. The reason it's failing is
because it's build for debian, not ubuntu. You'll need to rebuild it:
sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
sudo apt-get build-dep zfs-fuse
apt-get source zfs-fuse
cd zfs-fuse_*/
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
dpkg -i ../zfs-fuse_*.deb

Ricardo Correia

Jul 24, 2007, 12:21:43 PM7/24/07
to stefan....@gmail.com, zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

stefan....@gmail.com wrote:
> I do wonder if raid-z is supported by any chance?

Raid-Z is supported but currently there is a chance that the pool might
completely corrupt, so don't use it on important data.

This issue is being investigated.

Regards,
Ricardo Correia

Chris Samuel

Jul 25, 2007, 4:49:20 AM7/25/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Ricardo Correia wrote:

> Raid-Z is supported but currently there is a chance that the pool might
> completely corrupt, so don't use it on important data.

Is that something peculiar to ZFS/FUSE or does it affect ZFS on other
platforms as well ?

cheers!
Chris

signature.asc

stefan....@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2007, 2:42:28 PM7/25/07
to zfs-fuse
That's sad, as that's half the reason i wanted zfs. Is there any
chance of redundancy in my data. Does zfs support any other kind of
raid?
thanks
-stefan

On Jul 24, 12:21 pm, Ricardo Correia <rcorr...@wizy.org> wrote:
> Hi Stefan,

Chris Samuel

Jul 26, 2007, 6:37:19 AM7/26/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, stefan....@gmail.com wrote:

> That's sad, as that's half the reason i wanted zfs.  Is there any
> chance of redundancy in my data.  Does zfs support any other kind of
> raid?

ZFS also supports mirroring (RAID1) and striping over mirrors (called RAID 10
or RAID 1+0).

signature.asc

Luca Dionisi

Jul 26, 2007, 6:51:03 AM7/26/07
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On 7/25/07, stefan....@gmail.com <stefan....@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's sad, as that's half the reason i wanted zfs.

And what's the other half? :P

> Is there any
> chance of redundancy in my data. Does zfs support any other kind of
> raid?

From what you say, I think I could suggest you to have a deep look
at some documentation.
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/
In particular the Administration Guide there.

--Luca

USSJoin

Aug 21, 2007, 5:08:20 PM8/21/07
to zfs-fuse
I'm curious if this issue has been investigated; I haven't seen any
updates since this post, and I'd like to use ZFS-FUSE-- but only if it
won't corrupt my data! (Otherwise, there's little reason for me not
just to use RAID5.)

Thanks,

Brendan O'Connor