CALL FOR ACTION: URGENT: Call congress today & tomorrow to keep incineration out of clean energy policy

1 view

Laura Anthony

Jun 28, 2022, 4:03:56 PM6/28/22
to zerowa...@googlegroups.com

Friends:

This Thursday, the House Subcommittee on Environment and Climate Change is holding a last-minute hearing on a package of recycling-related bills. One of them, the CLEAN Future Act, would allow waste incineration ("waste-to-energy") to be considered a clean electricity source, despite being the dirtiest source on the grid. (Fact sheet on the bill here). The rest of the bill is a positive step toward environmental justice. Incineration has no place in it.

We are calling on our allies to call subcommittee members today and tomorrow to explain why they must eliminate incineration from the CLEAN Future Act. This is an unexpected opportunity to push back against false solutions at a high level and we need all hands on deck.

A full list of committee members is here. Below is a sample call script. Please forward this call to action to your networks!

Hello, my name is _____. I’m calling to ask Representative _____ to remove waste incineration in the CLEAN Future Act. The inclusion of WTE as “clean electricity” undermines the very positive environmental justice protections in the bill and will set the country back from its goals of addressing the climate crisis. Waste to energy (WTE) facilities are actually the dirtiest source of energy production on the grid today, emitting almost twice as much carbon dioxide as coal, oil and gas. 79% of WTE facilities are located in environmental justice communities, adding to the burden of air pollution from particulate matter, dioxins, lead, mercury, and other toxins that threaten their health and well-being. Please don’t jeopardize a clean future for the country by propping up dirty energy!

In solidarity,

Zoë

--

Zoë Beery

Communications Coordinator, U.S. & Canada

GAIA: Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives