Millard Vol. 224: Don Henley 1989.10.01 Pac. Amp.

tdcr...@yahoo.com

Jun 16, 2024, 9:26:12 PMJun 16
to zeptrade
(16/44.1k) good for 1 week

Don Henley
Pacific Amphitheatre
Costa Mesa, CA
October 1, 1989
Mike Millard Master Tapes via JEMS
The Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Tapes Volume 224
16/44 Edition

Contrast Clause: 24/96 Edition located here:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=774399

Recording Gear: AKG 451E Microphones (CK-1 cardioid capsules) > Nakamichi 550 Cassette Recorder

JEMS 2024 Transfer: Mike Millard Master Cassettes > Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 azimuth-adjusted playback > Sound Devices USBPre2 > Audacity 3.1 capture > iZotope RX > iZotope RX8 Advanced and Ozone 10 > MBIT+ resample to 16/44.1 > xACT 2.50 > FLAC

01 Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed
02 Dirty Laundry
03 The End Of The Innocence
04 Building The Perfect Beast
05 If Dirt Were Dollars
06 The Last Worthless Evening
07 Sunset Grill
08 New York Minute
09 Shangri - La
10 Hotel California
11 Life In The Fast Lane
12 The Boys Of Summer
13 All She Wants To Do Is Dance
14 I Will Not Go Quietly
15 Band Introduction
16 Desperado

Known Faults:
-None

Introduction to the Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone Series

Welcome to JEMS’ Lost and Found Mike the MICrophone series presenting recordings made by legendary taper Mike Millard, AKA Mike the MICrophone, best known for his masters of Led Zeppelin done in and around Los Angeles circa 1975-77. For the complete details on how tapes in this series came to be lost and found again, as well as JEMS' long history with Mike Millard, please refer to the notes in Vol. One: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=500680.

Until 2020, the Lost and Found series presented fresh transfers of previously unavailable first-generation copies made by Mike himself for friends like Stan Gutoski of JEMS, Jim R, Bill C. and Barry G. These sources were upgrades to circulating copies and in most instances marked the only time verified first generation Millard sources had been directly digitized in the torrent era.

That all changed with the discovery of many of Mike Millard’s original master tapes.

Yes, you read that correctly, Mike Millard’s master cassettes, long rumored to be destroyed or lost, have been found. Not all of them but many, and with them a much more complete picture has emerged of what Millard recorded between his first show in late 1973 and his last in early 1992.

The reason the rediscovery of his master tapes is such a revelation is that we’ve been told for decades they were gone. Internet myths suggest Millard destroyed his master tapes before taking his own life, an imprudent detail likely concocted based on the assumption that because his master tapes never surfaced and Mike’s mental state was troubled he would do something rash WITH HIS LIFE’S WORK. There’s also a version of the story where Mike’s family dumps the tapes after he dies. Why would they do that?

The truth is Mike’s masters remained in his bedroom for many years after his death in 1994. We know at least a few of Millard’s friends and acquaintances contacted his mother Lia inquiring about the tapes at the time to no avail. But in the early 2000s, longtime Millard friend Rob S was the one she knew and trusted enough to preserve Mike’s work.

The full back story on how Mike’s master tapes were saved can be found in the notes for Vol. 18 Pink Floyd, which was the first release in our series transferred from Millard’s original master tapes:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=667745&hit=1
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=667750&hit=1

Don Henley, Pacific Amphitheatre, Costa Mesa, CA, October 1, 1989

When you can't see the Eagles, you see Don Henley it seems.

This is the fifth of five Henley master recordings Mike "The Mike" Millard made between 1989 and 1991. To be fair two of those tapes were from Henley's appearances at a CSNY-headlined benefit shows the spring of 1990, released on Vols. 177 and 213 of the Lost and Found series. Henley's 1990 show at The Forum can be found on Vol. 152 and his 1991 Irvine Meadows concert constitutes Vol. 216.

The October 1, 1989 Costa Mesa set is the earliest of Millard's Henley masters and comes from the first leg of touring he did in support of his third solo album The End Of The Innocence released in June of the same year.

It proved to be a massive success and Henley's best-selling solo work, spawning hit singles in "The Heart Of The Matter," "The Last Worthless Evening" and the title track, the last two of which feature here. Oddly, Henley does not perform "Worthless Evening" at the 1991 show but he did do “The Heart Of The Matter.” Two other songs feature here but not in 1991: "Building The Perfect Beast" and "Shangri-La."

Millard pulled this from the tenth row on what was his preferred blank tape of the era: Maxell XL-IIS 100s. This '80s innovation giving five extra minutes of recording time on each side of tape was a major development for those of us recording shows on cassettes at the time. As we have become accustomed to, Mike makes an excellent tape on par with his best from this venue where he had ideal access to tickets and no security hassles. Samples provided.

###

JEMS is proud to partner with Rob, Jim R, Ed F, Barry G and many others to release Millard's historic recordings and to help set the record straight about the man himself.

We can’t thank Rob enough for reconnecting with Jim and putting his trust in our Millard reissue campaign. He kept Mike’s precious tapes under wraps for two decades, but once Rob learned of our methods and stewardship, he agreed to contribute the Millard DATs and cassettes to the program. Our releases would not be nearly as compelling without Jim’s memories, photos and other background contributions. As many of you have noted, the stories offer an entertaining complement to Mike’s incredible audio documents.

As always, the support of the extended JEMS family is essential to our weekly posts. Thanks to Rob S for the transfer, Professor Goody for ensuring good pitch and mjk5510 for post production and cover art.

Finally, cheers to the late, great Mike the MICrophone. His work never ceases to impress. May he rest in peace.

BK for JEMS

Glen S

Jun 17, 2024, 12:33:11 PMJun 17
to tdcr...@yahoo.com, Zeptrade
"Mike makes an excellent tape on par with his best from this venue where he had ideal access to tickets and no security hassles."(italics mine)
Indeed, it would seem, as I remember, what was the beginning of apparently a national theme of being rather quite particular about security matters at shows such as this.  When I went to the last of the benefit for A. R.M.S. For Ronnie Lane at New York City's MSG back in December of '83, the only question for me was if I had any glass bottles, they were a no-go.  I was only questioned because I had a 70-210 mm zoom lens in a jacket sleeve, otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten a second glance.  The next time I remember was a Dire Straits gig, this on the west coast in '85, I couldn't have gotten a pair of tweezers past security.

Thanks to Jeff, of course, always on point with sharing MM's here, and on TTD - Bravo and Respect!