Zenoss 4.2.5 - Python 3 Port

Sam Nirmal

Apr 26, 2024, 1:02:39 PMApr 26
to Zenoss Core
Hello,

I wonder if someone has worked / attempted on porting 4.2.5 core to Python 3?

I think it will be a huge effort.

Thanks

Jane Curry

Apr 27, 2024, 2:28:26 PMApr 27
to Zenoss Core
There was a discussion a VERY long time ago.  Back in the distant days when version 4 was current and developers talked to customers  ;)  It basically said that Python 3 would probably break Zenoss - don't go there.
Cheers,
Jane

Wes Davis

Apr 28, 2024, 12:00:52 PMApr 28
to Zenoss Core
Assuming all of its dependencies have newer Python 3 versions, and one managed to adapt the Zenoss codebase for changes in those (I'm sure Twisted and Django would not be trivial) along with whatever's necessary to get Zenoss itself Py3 compliant, there'd still be a necessity to have some kind of Py2.7 environment around, like via containers, for nearly every ZenPack out there. IIRC, even 6.3 still runs on fairly-early Py2.7.

At this stage, it seems tantamount to writing one's own monitoring system from the ground up, using Zenoss as guide.

Sam Nirmal

May 2, 2024, 10:49:15 AMMay 2
to Zenoss Core
Yeah, porting would be a daunting task.  It does make sense to develop another monitoring solution instead.

Thanks