ZAP scanning unusual URL's

Tim Wolf

Sep 2, 2021, 1:25:07 PM9/2/21
to OWASP ZAP User Group
Hi all,
I was spidering a website to gather endpoints, when the program started scanning some unusual URL's. Something like:
www.website.com/subdirectory/%5252525252....about 50 characters...ajdflja525252...525252...up to 150 characters [I didn't count]
I figured that ZAP didn't like a page or two and didn't know what to do with it, but the scan tried reading about 10,000 pages like that, all resulting in a 404 error "not found" and not adding any pages to the "eyeball". It took about 2 hours.

Do I have a setting wrong, that I should have told the program to exclude a certain type of page? Not really sure what it was doing, so I ended the scan without it finishing.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I have never seen this addressed here.

Simon Bennetts

Sep 13, 2021, 4:24:08 AM9/13/21
to OWASP ZAP User Group
Hiya,

Difficult to say without knowing a lot more about your application.
Does your app return "real" 404s or just error pages with a 200 response?
You can explicitly exclude pages from the spider using regexes, which is a good workaround.

Cheers,

Simon