Should ZAP switch to a non OSI approved licence?

Simon Bennetts

Jun 7, 2024, 12:55:53 PMJun 7
to ZAP User Group

Then post your thoughts to this thread...

Many thanks,

Simon

someone here

Jun 7, 2024, 1:25:08 PMJun 7
to ZAP User Group
i think you should make it paid version but with low cost let's say $30-50 and with the huge list of users this small amount of money will make a good fund for ZAP developing . So with this solution it solve both side problem . The user can't afford other web scanner like burp or caido but can pay $30-50 per year for ZAP and the ZAP team could use this money to support ZAP developing in a win-win situation

psiinon

Jun 7, 2024, 1:31:05 PMJun 7
to zaprox...@googlegroups.com

People would only pay if we made ZAP closed source.. which we don't want to do..

--
For commercial support options see https://www.zaproxy.org/support/
ZAP is supported by the Crash Override Open Source Fellowship https://crashoverride.com/open-source?zap=user

zinw elzl

Jun 10, 2024, 3:25:54 AMJun 10
to ZAP User Group
it is hard question

maybe company who use zap and have more than X users/client should pay X money

or something like that

Simon Bennetts

Jun 10, 2024, 4:08:38 AMJun 10
to ZAP User Group
Thats kind of the idea :)
But if ZAP uses an OSI license then there's no incentive or requirement for companies that use ZAP heavily to support ZAP in any way.
There are several companies who have build their entire businesses around ZAP, and they do not support us.

That is why we are looking at non-OSI licences - therse companies will then have to make a choice:
  • Pay a license for the new version of ZAP we maintain
  • Maintain ZAP themselves
  • Stick with the "old" unmaintained version of ZAP
  • Drop ZAP entirely from their offerings