HUD Telemetry Announcement

psiinon

Aug 6, 2020, 9:03:14 AM8/6/20
to zaprox...@googlegroups.com, OWASP ZAP HUD Group

A new version of the HUD has just been released which includes limited telemetry.

By default bit.ly URLs will be pinged when:

  • The HUD is used

  • The HUD tutorial first page is viewed

  • The HUD tutorial last page is viewed

These URLs will be pinged at most once per ZAP run.

The ZAP team will only get to see the total number of times these pings occur and a summary of the countries they have come from, nothing else.

You can turn the pings off via the HUD options or by using the ZAP ‘-silent’ command line option.

Why have we done this?

We actually get very little feedback from users as to which ZAP features they use.

The HUD is a very innovative approach and so we really don’t know whether people are using it or not.

We only have limited time to spend on ZAP developments and so we want to concentrate on the features people actually use and find useful.

If it turns out that lots of people are using the HUD then we will do our best to spend more time taking it forwards. However if only a few people are using it (or lots of people turn off the telemetry) then we will probably decide to focus on other things.

We would like to introduce more telemetry in ZAP at some stage in the future - again this would just cover the use of ZAP features and would not include any information about what people are using ZAP for. And again it will be possible to switch this off.

Remember that we do like feedback so please let us know if you are finding ZAP useful :)

And if you would like to contribute to the HUD, or any other part of ZAP then do get in touch - there’s always loads to do!

Cheers,

Simon

--
OWASP ZAP Project leader