Inquiry Regarding Contribution to ZAP's New Web GUI Project

Moeez Ahmed

May 2, 2024, 7:59:43 PMMay 2
to ZAP Developer Group
Hi there,

My name is Moeez Ahmed, and I had the pleasure of working with ZAP almost a year ago. Recently, I learned that ZAP is in need of a new web GUI, and I'm genuinely interested in contributing to this project to both give back to the open-source community and enhance my skills further.

Before diving in, I have a few questions to ensure that I can contribute effectively and align with the project's goals:

    What specific GUI components or features are needed?
Understanding the requirements will help me tailor my contributions accordingly and ensure they meet the project's needs, is there any road-map or template available to have an idea.

    How much time and effort are you willing and able to commit to the project?
 It's important for me to gauge the expected level of involvement to ensure I can allocate the necessary resources effectively, as I'm aiming to wrap it up within 2 months and I'm not a Pro here.

Additionally, I'm considering utilizing ReactJS and TailwindCSS for developing the new GUI. Are these technologies compatible with the project's tech stack?

Furthermore, is there any other information or specific questions you'd like to address?

I'm excited about the opportunity to collaborate with the ZAP team again and contribute to this project. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
Moeez Ahmed

psiinon

May 7, 2024, 4:27:40 AMMay 7
to ZAP Developer Group
Hiya Moeez,

Have a look at
This project was otiginally planned for Google Summer if Code, but unfortunately we didnt get sellected, so this is open to anyone who wants to work on it.

The above links should cover the components/features we are hoping for. A full new GUI for ZAP would be a huge task, so we are really just looking for a good start that can be extended over time.
The GUI will be a completely new component, so ReactJS and TailwindCSS sound like good options.

I'll send an email to you directly as well.

Cheers,

Simon

ricekot

May 7, 2024, 5:10:53 AMMay 7
to ZAP Developer Group
Hello,

Not sure if it helps, but I tried building a GUI with React and TailwindCSS for ZAP, for which you can find the code here: https://github.com/ricekot/zap-extensions/tree/saturn-ui-poc

However, I'm now experimenting with some different technologies - htmx, hyperscript, and TailwindCSS for the frontend and Thymeleaf and ZAP in the backend.

I think it's good to have multiple options for the GUI. Looking forward to your implementation too :).

Best regards,
Akshath