Importing into IntelliJ

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 17, 2020, 9:20:10 AM11/17/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

I am planning to import the ZAP files and create some custom extensions and change some specific parts accordingly. Can anyone suggest to me how to go about this?

Thank you,
Venkat

This mail is governed by the Disclaimer Terms of  SIU which may be viewed at http://siu.edu.in/disclaimer.php

psiinon

Nov 17, 2020, 9:26:23 AM11/17/20
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
The shared doc linked off https://github.com/zaproxy/zaproxy/wiki/Building is probably the best we have at the moment...

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 17, 2020, 11:03:42 AM11/17/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, this should help. :)

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 21, 2020, 11:40:18 PM11/21/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

A quick clarification - I am working at a place where I cannot clone public Github repos and work on them. I do not see a workaround for it. Is there something that can be done to overcome this?

Venkat

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 22, 2020, 1:23:09 AM11/22/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
I have to get the files into the system somehow and build manually. Thank you nevertheless.

psiinon

Nov 23, 2020, 4:16:44 AM11/23/20
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
Yeah, you'll need to clone the repo somewhere else and then copy the files across.

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 26, 2020, 3:46:27 AM11/26/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Follow up question - there are active scan rules (alpha & beta) which comprise of rules not part of the downloadable. Are they coming as part of the next release or is it something to be used per our discretion? Just curious, thank you.

psiinon

Nov 26, 2020, 4:55:05 AM11/26/20
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
All new rules (active and passive) are initially released as alpha and then can be promoted to beta and then release.
Add-on follow the same path, but rules are moved between the relevant add-ons instead.
The guidelines for promoting an add-on are: https://github.com/zaproxy/zap-extensions/wiki/AddOnDevelopment
The process for promoting rules is not really formalised - we usually look at them before a major release but will also promote (and sometimes demote) rules at other times.
If anyone feels strongly that a rule should be promoted or demoted then just say :)

Cheers,

Simon

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 26, 2020, 7:24:47 AM11/26/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response. If I want to incorporate all the Ascan rules and other rules present as part of the repo, is it safe to assume I should go ahead and make my own build and use rather than wait for the rules to be incorporated in subsequent releases?

psiinon

Nov 26, 2020, 7:30:26 AM11/26/20
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
You can of course make your own builds, but these will be a lot of efffort to maintain.
If you want to use the alpha and beta rules then you can just install them from the ZAP Marketplace via the UI or the commandline - thats what the Marketplace is there for :)

Cheers,

Simon

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 26, 2020, 7:37:35 AM11/26/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Understood. I am in the process of adding some reporting features specific to the organisation I am working with. I guess building my version would make sense in a way I can add things that are not part of the downloadable.
But yes, I can use the alpha/beta Ascan versions from the marketplace to save some trouble.

As always, thank you for your response. :)

psiinon

Nov 26, 2020, 7:46:58 AM11/26/20
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
Yes, thats the beauty of open source - you can make you own changes.
If you think they might be useful to others then please contribute then back :)

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Nov 26, 2020, 8:38:12 AM11/26/20
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Most definitely. :)

ricekot

Mar 22, 2021, 10:31:57 AM3/22/21
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
We now have new documentation for developers re importing ZAP into IntelliJ. You can find them linked at https://www.zaproxy.org/docs/developer/.

If you look carefully there is also a page on creating a new add-on in zap-extensions :D.

All feedback is appreciated :).

Best regards

Venkata Subrahmanyam

Mar 23, 2021, 7:46:21 AM3/23/21
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
This is amazing. I was planning to contribute this. Thank you for this. 😁