ZAP UI Improvements Feedback

Najam Ul Saqib

Oct 12, 2023, 7:02:38 AM10/12/23
to ZAP Developer Group
Hi,

I am creating this post to discuss the potential areas to improve the look and feel of ZAP; we've heard this from people many times but haven't received anything concrete to work on.

I am beginning with the thing that I have felt, the top bar looks very crowded and confusing (even with me being the user of ZAP for years now) you only know about the functionality when you hover over the button, and if you want to know every button you need to hover over each one by one which is not very user friendly.

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 3.59.52 PM.png

Maybe, we group these buttons, or have some drop down where each icon is displayed with its title for better understanding. Today during pentest, I was trying to split the request and response windows side-by-side and was finding it in the request and response tab whereas its in the main tab bar hidden in form of an icon which is very difficult to find.

Moreover, ZAP needs to be given a modern and sleek look which we need to work on.

psiinon

Oct 12, 2023, 7:05:19 AM10/12/23
to ZAP Developer Group
Thanks for starting this thread!
Looking forward to what other sugggestions people add...

josehkly

Oct 12, 2023, 2:49:17 PM10/12/23
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Feel free to look at the ZAP UI evaluation thread: https://groups.google.com/g/zaproxy-develop/c/Kf7bIxtuMIk

Concerning your ideas with the top bar I think we could all agree that the icons that feature a drop down list should have a down arrow symbol, similar to what we can see in IDEs. image.png

The best way for an user to learn a system concerning labeling is mixing both icons with text labels. However, it is not always possible to do so and here the bar is indeed almost too crowded.

An oportunity for them to better learn the system would be to repeat the correponding icon in the menu bar. Good candidates could be the layout icons.

Another option could be to put them on the right to make a better distinction by location of this particular icon group, but it could be against fits law to put them to far away from the main panel.

Oct 13, 2023, 1:32:14 AM10/13/23
to ZAP Developer Group
Impressive work in the evaluation document, josehkly!

Najam Ul Saqib

Feb 28, 2024, 2:17:12 AMFeb 28
to ZAP Developer Group
While using ZAP today I again felt the need to de-clutter the top bar in ZAP, I think what we can start with is this selection of icons
 zap bar.png
All of them refer to same thing i.e. alignment of tabs in UI, so why not combine them together in a drop-down or something that merges them together in a menu? Having one icon that combines these options together is gonna help reduce the load from the bar and maybe we can include text with icons as well if we manage to reduce the number of icons.

Similarly we have multiple icons for session i.e. save, open, properties, etc. Why not combine them in one dropdown? Thoughts?

psiinon

Feb 29, 2024, 5:01:28 AMFeb 29
to ZAP Developer Group
I'm all for decluttering the top toolbar :)
It would be nice to make this user configurable, but we would still need to have a sane default.
One option would be to add telemetry to all of the buttons and see which are used most often?

I think the first set you mentioned are a good candidate for merging into a pulldown button or similar.
I'm not so sure about Open / Save / Options etc.

Comparing with other tools is always a good idea - anyone up for that?

Cheers,

Simon

Najam Ul Saqib

Feb 29, 2024, 1:07:11 PMFeb 29
to ZAP Developer Group
If we can add telemetry, that can be a great source of feedback for us. Maybe, we end up removing some of the items even due to very low usage.

May I create two issues on repo? One for telemetry addition and other for merging the alignment buttons in a pulldown button?

psiinon

Mar 1, 2024, 4:41:19 AMMar 1
to ZAP Developer Group
Got for it :)
Telemetry is relatively easy to add, its just a case of finding all of the relevant places.

Cheers,

Simon

samcker dodi

Mar 3, 2024, 3:04:08 PMMar 3
to ZAP Developer Group
i want to suggest also a small changes in ZAP ui
1- make separate search box at the bottom for request and response in all tabs (request and response - requester - ...etc)
2- make line wrapping always allowed even the response is too long
3- also need special view for graphql or SAML requests
thanks

Najam Ul Saqib

Mar 4, 2024, 1:38:17 AMMar 4
to ZAP Developer Group
+1 for line wrapping enabled by default

thc...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2024, 2:43:37 AMMar 4
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
You only need to change to your preference once, the option state is
persisted (if not that would be a bug).

Best regards.

thc...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2024, 2:48:39 AMMar 4
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
2 - It's disabled to prevent hangs of the GUI, allowing to re-enable
would be counterproductive.

Best regards.

Najam Ul Saqib

Mar 4, 2024, 3:47:11 AMMar 4
to ZAP Developer Group
Why word wrap is disabled for some response?
Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 1.46.47 PM.png

thc...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2024, 4:00:42 AMMar 4
to zaproxy...@googlegroups.com
As mentioned in the previous reply, "It's disabled to prevent hangs of
the GUI".

Word wrapping long lines/big messages leads to performance issues (that
should also be mentioned in the footer of the response).

Best regards.

Najam Ul Saqib

Mar 4, 2024, 4:04:05 AMMar 4
to ZAP Developer Group
Does it mean long messages cant be word-wrapped in ZAP?

psiinon

Mar 4, 2024, 4:11:35 AMMar 4
to ZAP Developer Group
They can, but it can lead to performance issues.