CVE-2022-21449 related to graal-sdk

Mohit A. Jampala

Feb 9, 2023, 12:15:02 PM2/9/23
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
Hi,
We use zaproxy and we execute `zap.sh -cmd -addonupdate -addonlist -suppinfo` to get the latest plugins.
From my understanding, this is getting GraalVM (i.e. https://github.com/zaproxy/zap-extensions/blob/main/addOns/graaljs/graaljs.gradle.kts) of version `20.2.0`. This particular version is flagged to contain CVE-2022-21449 -Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 12.02.41 PM.png
Questions -
1. Is zaproxy's usage of GraalVM exposed to this CVE (as described by the CVE)?
2. If it's exposed, is there a way to disable the features/functionality to avoid the usage described by the CVE?
3. Is there a plan to upgrade the graal-sdk version to 22.1.0 to address the CVE? If so, is there an ETA?

Thank you,
Mohit

psiinon

Feb 9, 2023, 12:20:45 PM2/9/23
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
Hi Mohit,

Thank you for letting us know about this issue - we are investigating it right now and will report back asap.

Cheers,

Simon

psiinon

Feb 9, 2023, 12:28:32 PM2/9/23
to OWASP ZAP Developer Group
From the CVE:
  • Note: This vulnerability applies to Java deployments, typically in clients running sandboxed Java Web Start applications or sandboxed Java applets, that load and run untrusted code (e.g., code that comes from the internet) and rely on the Java sandbox for security.
ZAP uses GraalVM for user scripting which runs in ZAP and does not use it to load any code, untrusted or otherwise.
In theory a ZAP user could use it to load untrusted code, but that would be very unwise.
Unless anyone disagrees I think this means it does not impact ZAP.
However we will look at upgrading GraalVM to a more recent version soon.

Many thanks,

Simon

Mohit A. Jampala

Feb 10, 2023, 9:46:56 AM2/10/23