upcoming express 4.0, will zappjs be maintained?

klr...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2014, 7:14:09 AM3/17/14
to zap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

will zappajs be maintained with all the upcoming changes in how express and connect are handled. Just asking because this list is not all that busy.

Regards

step...@shimaore.net

Mar 17, 2014, 11:56:15 AM3/17/14
to zap...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

> will zappajs be maintained with all the upcoming changes in how express and
> connect are handled. Just asking because this list is not all that busy.

I'm not sure whether the list isn't busy because people are happy with
how things work today, or because the few of us who use ZappaJS daily are
the only ones doing so. ;)

I've made some plans for an upcoming 1.0 version (ZappaJS's issue list
has them tagged "1.0"); sounds like it's time I get started on that and
Express 3 integration. (I'll also be finally moving ZappaJS to semver
with that release.)

As a sidenote but still on the topic of "what's in store for ZappaJS",
has anyone played with koa (koajs.com) yet? Do you think it's worth
looking at it for future plans for ZappaJS?
S.

klrumpf

Mar 18, 2014, 5:34:55 AM3/18/14
to zap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

first of all thanks to Stephane for keeping this going. Maybe we should do a head count, how many of us are there using zappajs in production?

Koa looks interesting but it would be a whole different story again, a complete rewrite of existing stuff. Bad enough express forces a major rewrite every few years. I have four kids in school and at the university and two jobs so I shy away from touching working source if I can help it.

If it is worth the trouble for you, Stefane, I'd stick to the minimalist wrapper idea and keep it as compatible as possible, just adapt for Express 4.0.0 (now up to -rc3 I think) and the changed connect dependencies, maybe switch CoffeeKup for Teacup and SocketIO for socksjs or just WS, all of these  last few because the others don't seem to be maintained too well.  I use node-mysql with mariadb, I also have other (old) applications on the same db and I have the option to do a cluster of 3 with that without changing code.

Don't know what's the current status of the two Coffeescript flavours.

K.

klr...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2014, 10:50:17 AM4/21/14
to zap...@googlegroups.com
I Have to say, the more I look at koa the more impressed I am