The transport coeffecients from BOLSIG+ on Mac for Zapdos

Mohamed Ezzat Mostafa

Jan 28, 2019, 6:57:43 AM1/28/19
to zapdos-users
Dear all--
As far as I understood, Zapdos requires the transport coefficients as input which is pre-calculated by BOSLIG+ code (https://www.bolsig.laplace.univ-tlse.fr/). I  get this code and follow the instructions but I stuck somewhere (explained below). If someone knows how to run BOLSIG+ on Mac properly, will be appreciated.

By the way, I contacted the code author but no reply till now.
Looking for your help.

_____BOLSIG+ running problem ______________

1- I open the executable program that gives me a command line as shown here:

bolsig-prob22.png

Alexander Lindsay

Jan 28, 2019, 11:41:49 AM1/28/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
I don't use BOLSIG+, but it looks like it can't find a file. Have you checked to see whether that file actually exists?

Plasma School (Plas-Blog)

Jan 28, 2019, 11:45:21 AM1/28/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
Thank Alex--

Finally BOLSIG author send me and it seems a problem with mac version.  Are you using the MOOSE app for calculating the transport coefficients?

Alexander Lindsay

Jan 28, 2019, 11:48:58 AM1/28/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
Are you talking about CRANE? I don't think CRANE itself solves for transport coefficients. AFAIK it farms out to either BOLSIG+ or Bolos to solve for the transport coefficients in an automated way. When I was doing my dissertation research, I used bolos to calculate my transport coefficients.

Casey Icenhour

Jan 28, 2019, 11:49:29 AM1/28/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohamed,

I can't speak to the versioning, but judging from the pictures you sent earlier, it seems like its searching your home directory for that file (since that's your current directory in the Terminal in those ) and failing because its not located there. I would try either one of these two things:

1) Navigating in the Terminal (via the cd command) to the folder where the BOLSIG program is located (so /Users/M.Ezzat/Desktop/bolsigplus032016-mac/), running the program, and then typing the file name as you did above.

2) Running the program as you did above, but instead of typing the file name, type /Users/M.Ezzat/Desktop/bolsigplus032016-mac/input-examples.dat

Hope that helps,
Casey

Plasma School (Plas-Blog)

Jan 28, 2019, 12:01:40 PM1/28/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
Since Bols is a Python lib, it will be better for me to deal with. Does it is outcome is compatable directly as input for Zapdos or should be post processed?

Alexander Lindsay

Jan 28, 2019, 12:04:29 PM1/28/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
I honestly can't remember...but I think it is directly compatible...compare the output to the checked in .txt files in the Zapdos repo in order to be sure

Mohamed Ezzat Mostafa

Feb 5, 2019, 11:54:51 AM2/5/19
to zapdos-users
Thanks for all the recommendations,

what I did so far are the following steps:
1- Go to LxCat online platform to obtain the cross sections of air mixture (0.8 N2 + 0.2 O2) ionization and excitation processes. The range (E= 100 kVolt, n=~ 10**23 => reduced electric field E/n=1.6 to 100 Td & Temperature= 300 Kelvin).
2- The output cross-section file fed the Bolos solver (used in Alexander  2016 J. Phys paper) to obtain the reduced mobility (mu*n) and the diffusion coefficient (D*n).
3- Also the reaction rate can be obtained.

What I am still missing is the Townsend coefficients, how did you calculate them using Bolos?

Best
Mohamed

Alexander Lindsay

Feb 5, 2019, 12:25:47 PM2/5/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com

Mohamed Ezzat Mostafa

Mar 28, 2019, 11:36:03 AM3/28/19
to zapdos-users
Hey Alex and All--

I am using LxCat online platform to calculate the cross-section and then give them to Bolos python code and it works perfectly now but I still have a problem.

The input to BOLSIG+ on LxCat platform are:
1-  E/N range:
My calculations:
E = 10^5 Volt / 10^-6 m = 10^11 V/m (used electric field)
N = 2.5 * 10^25 m^-3  (air density)
E/N = 10-14 V/m^2 = 10^7 Td
my specific question is which range of E/N should I input in the Lxcat (https://fr.lxcat.net/solvers/BolsigPlus/index.php)

2- the number of points:
I am using the same number of griding points we use in Zapdos (210), is it correct?

Best
Mohamed

Alexander Lindsay

Mar 28, 2019, 4:32:43 PM3/28/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 9:36 AM Mohamed Ezzat Mostafa <m.ezz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Alex and All--

I am using LxCat online platform to calculate the cross-section and then give them to Bolos python code and it works perfectly now but I still have a problem.

The input to BOLSIG+ on LxCat platform are:
1-  E/N range:
My calculations:
E = 10^5 Volt / 10^-6 m = 10^11 V/m (used electric field)
N = 2.5 * 10^25 m^-3  (air density)
E/N = 10-14 V/m^2 = 10^7 Td
my specific question is which range of E/N should I input in the Lxcat (https://fr.lxcat.net/solvers/BolsigPlus/index.php)

I don't think this is really a question I can answer. It all depends on your discharge physics, e.g. what range of E/N's you anticipate being possible during the course of your simulation. As a starter maybe you can go a couple of orders of magnitude above and below your average, e.g. 10^5-10^9. It looks like in my Argon.py file I calculated between 10^4 and 10^8.

2- the number of points:
I am using the same number of griding points we use in Zapdos (210), is it correct?

There's no correct answer. You can do whatever you want. Around 200 seems like a good number. It looks like I've gone as low as 50 before as well. I think you just want a number of interpolation points that allows you to capture the dependence of cross sections on E/N accurately.