Paraview Integrate over space & time

John Haase

Feb 7, 2017, 10:31:04 AM2/7/17
to zapdos-users
Hi All,

I had a quick paraview question. I want to integrate some values over space and time. Using the integrate variables, I can integrate over space to get the integral at a single point in time.

I've attached an image of what I currently have

Any suggestions?

Capture.PNG

Alex Lindsay

Feb 7, 2017, 11:19:36 AM2/7/17
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
Try following the suggestions in this thread: http://marc.info/?l=paraview&m=128804494805006&w=2

My paraview is a little broken currently and it takes forever to download their binaries, so I'm hoping you can get this to work. Let me know if their are issues.

Alex Lindsay

Feb 7, 2017, 1:46:23 PM2/7/17
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
So I don't know if you've played around with this John, but I can't get beyond plotting the spatially integrated value over time, e.g. I've found it impossible to integrate the resulting (time) vs. (spatially averaged value) curve within Paraview. One thing you could do is export the time vs. spatially averaged values spreadsheet to a csv file and do the time integration yourself using your spreadsheet editor of choice.

I'm also going to email the paraview list and see if there's some obscure way of doing it within paraview that I've been unable to glean so far.

John Haase

Feb 7, 2017, 4:42:32 PM2/7/17
to Zapdos
Alex,

How do you get the spatially valued values for every time step? I can only get it for the current time step. I could do the time integration externally.

Regards,

John R. Haase

On 02/07/2017 09:31 AM, John Haase wrote:
Hi All,

I had a quick paraview question. I want to integrate some values over space and time. Using the integrate variables, I can integrate over space to get the integral at a single point in time.

I've attached an image of what I currently have

Any suggestions?

Alex Lindsay

Feb 7, 2017, 6:07:02 PM2/7/17
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
It is a little tricky. After you've performed your IntegrateVariables filter:

1. Make sure you have the `render view` active.
2. On the pipeline browser, make it so the only active "eye" is the `IntegrateVariables` filter
3. You should see a silver dot hopefully in the center of the render view.
4. At the top of the render view, click on `select points through`
5. Draw rectangle around the silver dot to select it
6. Then go up to filters and select `Plot selection over time`
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to zapdos-users...@googlegroups.com.

John Haase

Feb 8, 2017, 1:33:30 PM2/8/17
to Zapdos
Alex,

Thank you. I was wondering you you had an better resources than the Paraview wiki for programming in Paraview? Because I recorded these actions into a macro and tried to run it but, the macro threw errors instead.

Regards,

John R. Haase

Alexander Lindsay

Feb 8, 2017, 1:46:05 PM2/8/17
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
I've never had luck with recording actions. It's been a while since I've done really intensive things in Paraview, so I can't quite recall what I found to be the most helpful documentation. But there's the user guide: http://www.paraview.org/paraview-downloads/download.php?submit=Download&version=v5.0&type=data&os=all&downloadFile=ParaViewGuide-CE-v5.0.0.pdf

Alexander Lindsay

Feb 8, 2017, 1:47:07 PM2/8/17
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com

John Haase

Feb 9, 2017, 5:08:42 PM2/9/17
to Zapdos
Alex,

The data I was getting out of that was corrupted, so I think I'm just going to use numpy to do the integration. However, I can't figure out how to get the array values. In the python shell I can get the cell data, but Googling and looking on Paraview's website I don't see how to get the data.

from paraview.simple import *
import os
import sys
import numpy as np

path = "C:\\Users\\John\\Desktop\\"
file_name = "SteadyState_out.e"

reader = ExodusIIReader(FileName=path+file_name)
tsteps = reader.TimestepValues

reader.UpdatePipeline()
cellData = reader.CellData
cellData[:]

[Array: Arp_lin, Array: Current_Arp, Array: Current_em, Array: DiffusiveFlux_em, Array: e_temp, Array: Efield, Array: EFieldAdvAux_em, Array: em_lin, Array: GlobalElementId, Array: ObjectId, Array: PedigreeElementId, Array: PowerDep_Arp, Array: PowerDep_em, Array: ProcRate_el, Array: ProcRate_ex, Array: ProcRate_iz, Array: rho, Array: tot_gas_current, Array: Voltage, Array: x]

Regards,

John R. Haase

Alex Lindsay

Feb 9, 2017, 7:39:44 PM2/9/17
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I can't look too closely right now, but I've attached some (pretty terrible) scripts I hacked together a year ago for processing with paraview. I think the code that parallels yours is in the attached load_data.py.

Alex
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to zapdos-users...@googlegroups.com.

load_data.py
plasliq_paper.py