What to do with cool Zapdos results

Alexander Lindsay

Oct 24, 2019, 2:28:06 PM10/24/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
I shared this with a couple of folks earlier today, but I wanted to spread it more broadly:

Something that I've been thinking more and more is that for any results presented at a conference or in a paper, there should be a corresponding input file and test(s) in the mainline Zapdos repository. I would want the following:

- One syntax check test with input file corresponding to the exact input file used to generate the conference results. A syntax check test just has `check_input = true` in the `tests` spec file, and does not actually run the simulation; it just checks to make sure that all your syntax is valid. This prevents developers from making parameter changes that would break those inputs
- One Exodiff-type test that has a coarser mesh and/or reduced number of timesteps. Ideally this mesh would just be a uniformly coarsened version of the original mesh. If that Exodiff test exists, then we can be reasonably sure that any changes to the Zapdos code base that would break the smaller test would also break the larger input that produced conference-worthy results, and we could investigate further.

I really want to both:

- Bump up our test coverage
- Make it very easy and straightforward for a new Zapdos user to reproduce our results and hence have a strong starting point for their own research.

Alex

Shane Keniley

Oct 24, 2019, 6:59:54 PM10/24/19
to zapdos-users
This is a good idea. I'll definitely submit a PR to include the test I'm presenting at GEC.

On that note, how exactly do I update the version of crane that is bundled with Zapdos? I've made changes to the crane repository that are used in my tests, so that will need to be updated as well.

Alexander Lindsay

Oct 24, 2019, 9:39:44 PM10/24/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
In your crane submodule, make sure you are on the commit you want Zapdos to point to (hopefully this is something like crane devel or master). Then in the Zapdos root directory, simply do `git add crane` and then commit!