Plot results over time, paraview or python

Mohamed Ezzat Mostafa

Sep 6, 2019, 10:23:39 AM9/6/19
to zapdos-users
Dear all,

I solved as a transient problem and I am interested to look at my profiles density, temperature, and the deposited energy overtime.

I can visualize them in ParaView and python only at the last time step.

I tried to use plot data overtime in Paraview but an error message blow up there is no time steps in your file (mean_en_out.e)

Any recommendations will be appreciated, thanks.

Casey Icenhour

Sep 6, 2019, 11:22:16 AM9/6/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
In your [Outputs] block, have you set the "execute_on" parameter? That can dictate when data is output to a data file. By default, it is the initial time step and the end of each time step. FINAL (or the final time step) is one of the options that can be set by the user for that parameter, so I would check to make sure that you aren't setting it inadvertently. More MOOSE documentation on the Exodus output object in MOOSE is here (https://mooseframework.inl.gov/source/outputs/Exodus.html).

If that doesn't help, is there a link to the input file that we can look at?

Plasma School (Plas-Blog)

Sep 13, 2019, 4:58:48 AM9/13/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Casey,
For sure it helps but I am still confused about which option should I have to write all the timesteps results in the output file?
Here is my output block:

[Outputs]

  print_perf_log = true

  print_linear_residuals = true

  [./out]

    type = Exodus

    execute_on = 'final'

  [../]

  [./dof_map]

    type = DOFMap

  [../]

[]

Regards

Mohamed

Casey Icenhour

Sep 13, 2019, 11:37:48 AM9/13/19
to zapdos...@googlegroups.com
In your [./out] block, you have type = Exodus and execute_on = 'final'. The second parameter (execute_on) dictates what is written to the output file, as I said in my previous email. FINAL means that it only prints the final timestep of the simulation. If you change that line to execute_on = 'initial timestep_end', then you'll have the initial conditions and all timesteps written to the output file. Alternatively, you can also remove the line altogether, since what I've written above is the default MOOSE behavior - I'm just showing you what to alter here if you wanted it to remain in the input file.