RE: ZCJAVCLG - Cobol to java translation functionality.

d...@higgins.net

Mar 22, 2021, 7:58:33 AM3/22/21
to Mark S, z3...@googlegroups.com

Mark, all

Good morning.

Here is document from 2013 that describes the zCOBOL support in z390 open source project:

http://z390.sourceforge.net/zcobol/index.html

It includes references to demos for 4 different target execution environments using 4 different macro expansion libraries:

  1. Z390 HLSAM assembler which can be assembled, linked, and execution on IBM z/OS hosts and on z390 Windows and Linux hosts.
    1. There are lots of demos for this version which supports most COBOL data types and QSAM type file access.
    2. Here is SHARE presentation including zCOBOL: http://www.z390.org/SHARE/SHARE_9280_z390_Orlando_080911.pdf
    3. Next addition planned is zVSAM2 file access.
  2. J2SE Java – proof of concept demo only
  3. C – proof of concept demo only
  4. Intel assembler – proof of concept demo only

Don Higgins

d...@higgins.net

www.donhiggins.org

Mar 23, 2021, 4:36:25 AM3/23/21
to z390
Hi Don, thanks for taking the time to reply.

        It was really just point 2 I was asking after...

2. J2SE Java – proof of concept demo only

I wanted to check if you thought there was benefit in resurrection to use this functionally and the  MAC files that supported the translation at all?

Can I please also ask :  Do you consider that proof of concept was "successful" please?

I am sure there would be a more work to do from the end of the demo to derive a "full solution", but can you perhaps indicate :-

  1. Any estimate on percentage of 'cobol' implemented?
  2. If any feedback was given on this demo? Was it positive?  Did you get some?
  3. If you feel these MACro files should be left to rest in peace :-) ?
I appreciate these are terribly open ended questions, but please excuse them as I am trying to check if my intentions here are valid.  In case it helps, my intentions are to seek to get java code translated from cobol running in batch form.

--
Mark