z390_v1703.zip now available for download with Linux support enhancements, 20 new mainframe assembler instructions, and z390 Sort Utility with demos added

d...@higgins.net

Nov 19, 2020, 8:06:01 PM11/19/20
to z3...@googlegroups.com, IBM Mainframe Assembler List

All

z390_v1703.zip now available for download from www.z390.info.

This release includes Linux support enhancements, 20 new assembler instructions, and z390 Sort Utility with demos.

Batch commands and perl scripts have been updated for improved Linux and Mac compatibility thanks to John Ganci.

The zopcheck z390 assembler verification program now verifies 2357 mainframe instruction opcodes, mnemonics, and operands.

See v1.1 paper here: http://www.z390.info/doc/ZOPCHECK.PDF.  The new instructions include machine measurement

Instructions, SORTL assist for DFSORT, plus a few extended mnemonic instructions I missed in V1.0.  See release notes

and references for more information.

The new mainframe SORTL instruction prompted me to add the z390 sort directory with the z390 sort utility including demos which was developed

Back in 2012 and was designed with intent to be IBM DFSORT compatible.  I’ve  also added updated documentation here:

http://www.z390.info/doc/z390_Sort_Utility.pdf.  I noticed that the demo sort of 100,000 records took 3 seconds back in 2012

and now runs in less than 1 second on Dell i7 Windows 10 PC.  I would like to see more benchmark analysis and learn more

about the new SORTL hardware assist on mainframe.  See references for more information.

The next z390 release may be slower in coming with the holidays approaching.  Happy Thanksgiving and stay safe.

Don Higgins

d...@higgins.net

www.donhiggins.org