Memory errors when expanding a .cab file from floppy?

1 view

N00B

Apr 16, 2003, 10:14:20 PM4/16/03
Hi folks

I'm trying to expand a .cab file from a floppy onto a dir on the floppy but
I'm getting a memory error out of memory while reading or something like
that!

Can anyone help me please I'm tearing my hair out!

cheers

Marty List

Apr 16, 2003, 8:01:00 PM4/16/03

More details would help.

Which OS?

Which floppy, or what product is the .CAB file from?

What is the command line you are using?

If you are using Expand.exe, which version?

Saying "a memory error out of memory while reading or something like that"
is not helpful, what is the exact error message?

"N00B" <johnny...@excite.com> wrote in message

Ted Davis

Apr 16, 2003, 9:45:15 PM4/16/03
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 03:14:20 +0100, "N00B" <johnny...@excite.com>
wrote:

If memory serves, "Insufficient memory" in a MS operating system means
you have plenty of memory but have run out of disk space. My guess is
that the default directory is on the floppy and that EXPAND is writing
a transient file to it. Make sure that the TEMP environment variable
is set and points to someplace with lots of space.

This sort of error often occurs with boot floppies that try to avoid
using a ramdrive and/or don't set the TEMP variable to usable space.

A conventional approach to boot floppies is along the lines of
install a ramdrive - a large one (8 MB or so) if the system has
plenty of memory
AUTOEXEC copies files from the floppy to the ramdrive and transfers
control to a batch file there
change COMSPEC to point to the copy of the command processor on the
ramdrive
(at this point, the floppy can be removed - it will not be used again)
SET TEMP= someplace on the ramdrive
expand the .cab files.
etc.

T.E.D. (tda...@gearbox.maem.umr.edu - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)