How do I stop in-text overwrite?

Misha Gericke

Apr 19, 2011, 4:25:54 AM4/19/11
to yWriter
Hi,

I've been using yWriter for a while, but I'm starting to get a tad
annoyed with what I might suspect is a bug in the program. While I'm
in the middle of the scene, the text will start overwriting. I don't
even know how to activate the function, but what I want to know is how
to de-activate it. Because right now I can't edit anything in that
scene.

If anyone can help me with that, I'd be very grateful.

Misha

Ivory John

Apr 19, 2011, 8:49:33 AM4/19/11
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

If it was a ywriter issue, more of us would have the same problem.  You should specify your version and os.  This kind of behavior is probably more common in linux systems.

Franck RABESON

Apr 19, 2011, 9:04:09 AM4/19/11
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Misha, have you checked that you hadn't hit the Insert key by
accident? If you're using yWriter on Windows, that's a way to toggle
between the insertion and overwrite modes.

Dave Shaw

Apr 19, 2011, 10:21:01 AM4/19/11
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Possible causes (not a complete list):

1) Windows emulation bugs, if you're not running on real Windows. (already
mentioned)
2) Accidental press of the Insert key. (already mentioned)
3) Keys sticking intermittently on your keyboard, especially a shift, ctrl,
or alt key. My keyboard at work gives me this problem sometimes, and yes,
even in yWriter.
4) Some weird problem with the Microsoft .NET framework installation on your
machine. These are rare, but frankly, that software is more complex than
yWriter, and in my opinion an update problem in that is more likely than a
yWriter bug that only manifests on your machine.

Speculation: yWriter's scene editor behaves similarly to Microsoft WordPad,
which makes sense given that Simon has stated that he's using the Microsoft
Rich Text control provided by MS Visual Studio. It can be instructive to
look at the help in WordPad for keyboard shortcuts and check to see if they
work in yWriter. It's entirely possible you're accidentally hitting some
combination that's causing your problem without realizing it, especially if
you need to use non-ASCII characters in your writing.

I doubt very seriously that this is a true yWriter bug, since as others have
stated you're the only user who's reported it in public. Of course, we
don't know what might have been reported to Simon privately, but if he knew
about a bug like this, I'm sure he'd have the fix out very quickly.

Please let us know more details about your software installation, and
whether anyone's suggestions seem close to being your problem. And good
luck!

Dave Shaw
--
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein (1879 -
1955)

Apr 26, 2011, 6:48:49 PM4/26/11
to yWriter
I agree with the 'insert' key issue. On my keyboard insert is right
next to delete, and I discovered that I was hitting insert
accidentally then blaming Ywriter.