Scrolling (chapter list and entities list)

E. T.

Jul 9, 2024, 3:17:10 PMJul 9
to yWriter
I've been using yWriter for a while. Currently yWriter 7 on Windows 11.

It is overall awesome software, except when I try to scroll.
Mouse wheel doesn't scroll at all and I have to press the scroll bar.
It happens on the main screen with my project's chapter list, as well as in the character list for example.

Does anyone else have this behavior or is it a "me" problem?

Todd Carnes

Jul 9, 2024, 3:33:43 PMJul 9
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Mouse wheel scrolling works for me. Maybe it's the version you're using? I'm using version 7.1.5.2.

Does anyone else have this behavior or is it a "me" problem? --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "yWriter" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ywriter/fd33ce92-aefb-4c8b-bbb8-cba6d6f5b9fbn%40googlegroups.com.
OpenPGP_0xBF31D0143C9F4B95.asc
OpenPGP_signature.asc

Simon Haynes

Jul 9, 2024, 3:52:52 PMJul 9
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
To my knowledge I've never released a version which failed to scroll.  Sounds like maybe the main window isn't focused?

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Marina De Luca

Jul 10, 2024, 5:50:00 AMJul 10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
It happens to me as well: no mouse wheel scrolling in the chapters and scenes list, nor the characters tab. But it works in the content tab below the scenes lists (only the content tab, the ones with characters and locations don't scroll).
Win 10, Ywriter 7.1.5.5.

Marina

Simon Haynes

Jul 10, 2024, 6:06:56 AMJul 10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Can you try 7.1.5.6 which is the latest beta?

Marina De Luca

Jul 10, 2024, 10:59:55 AMJul 10
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Just tried it with 7.1.5.6, but the mouse wheel scrolling is still not working with chapters lists, scenes lists and characters lists.

Marina.

Keith Brady

Jul 11, 2024, 12:34:14 AMJul 11
to yWriter
I'm using 7.1.5.2 on Windows 10, and scrolling works as it should.

Simon Haynes

Jul 11, 2024, 7:09:13 AMJul 11
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
If you click on a line in the listbox and then scroll the mouse, does that do anything?

Otherwise I'll have to add some logging to see what your mouse wheel is actually being interpreted as.

Marina De Luca

Jul 11, 2024, 11:20:00 AMJul 11
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean click on a scene, to select it? If so, scrolling still does not work; same with characters.

Marina.

Simon Haynes

Jul 11, 2024, 11:27:12 AMJul 11
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
What sort of mouse/scrollwheel are you using? Is it a regular mouse or a kind of laptop trackpad?

Marina De Luca

Jul 11, 2024, 11:29:53 AMJul 11
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Regular mouse, with usb cable.
I'm on a laptop, but the trackpad doesn't scroll, either... nor does the other wireless mouse I use sometimes...

Simon Haynes

Jul 15, 2024, 3:06:38 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Uploading beta 7.1.5.7 now

I've added some more code to the lists to capture the mouse wheel. If it doesn't work this time, it might indicate the mouse wheel is being read as some other type of control which I will have to identify.

Marina De Luca

Jul 15, 2024, 11:30:23 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I've tried it.
Now, when I scroll a list (chapters, scenes, characters) the bar at the side of the window moves accordingly, but the list itself doesn't scroll.

E. T.

Jul 22, 2024, 10:34:21 AM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to yWriter
Hi again.

I've actually had this problem with a few other programs (just a few), which made me ponder.
I searched on Windows forums and finally found the solution:

In Windows (10 or 11) Mouse settings, toggle "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them" to ON.

Instantly solved it. No matter if the chapter list was clicked (= actually active(?)) before.

Feel free to try it Marina, and thanks a lot for adding your experience.
Big thank you as well to Simon for trying to provide a fix.

Finally I can 100% enjoy the gem that is yWriter with my 400K word-novel draft! Feels like a fresh install.
I might have a suggestion though for another topic, once I can phrase it.

Simon Haynes

Jul 22, 2024, 10:58:32 AM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that, that's got to be the reason.  I've been using Windows since version 2.0 and I had no idea that setting even existed.

The listboxes in yWriter are my own design, and are drawn from various graphics and text strings. They're no longer standard Windows controls, which is why I guess they don't get focus. (The reason I've done this is because they're much more customisable, especially with theming, but also with content.)