Ywriter on Linux, Again - This time .Net 6

Dave Richardson

Aug 27, 2022, 9:23:13 PM8/27/22
to yWriter
Simon:

With Microsoft creating .Net 6 and saying they support it on Linux, I wonder if you have created a .Net 6 version of yWriter that I could try?

Thanks for your great work yet again.

Simon Haynes

Aug 28, 2022, 12:53:01 AM8/28/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
They only support commandline at this stage and the program has to be written in C++ I think (Perhaps C#)

When Maui supports Windows, MacOS, IOS, Android and Linux all with the same code, that's when I'll have to seriously look at redoing the entire UI.

For now, I've had to halt MacOS and IOS development as my Mac Mini is obsolete, and Android is on hold because Google rendered their Google Drive API obsolete too.

Windows is so much easier to work with.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Todd Carnes

Aug 28, 2022, 5:00:44 AM8/28/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Microsoft does NOT support .Net 6 on Linux. They have said they are
leaving Linux support up to the open source community until some
undesignated future date. Knowing Microsoft, that most likely means the
will never support Linux.

Todd

Todd Carnes

Aug 28, 2022, 5:01:20 AM8/28/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
C#

Dave Richardson

Aug 29, 2022, 9:37:17 AM8/29/22
to yWriter
I am very familiar with Micro$haft's monopolistic behavior and corporate treachery - I have been dealing with it since they had their undeclared war with Linux back in the 80s. The problem is that they bought Xamarin and are in the process of killing Mono, which has been my operational basis. Killing Mono is what the community expected when the Gates monster bought Xamarin, they just have been a bit slower about it than expected. If the community picks up Mono support, maybe it will remain "alive," but for now support is basically impossible to get.

Since I am a C# programmer, I hadn't thought about the support for the other languages, but my understanding is that the runtime covers all of the languages. According to this link, Ubuntu now has runtime support for .Net 6, which is why I dragged the subject back out from under the bed. I have downloaded the runtime, etc., and am in process of trying it out for my programming needs, but since Linux is where I live most of the time, not having yWriter is a pain, to put it nicely. I am still stuck using Visual Studio for heavy programming, but I can do that on a VM. Since Windoze doesn't play nice with VMs, it is very frustrating to try to work, both in Visual Studio and yWriter, when I am under the VM.