Wont save sceene in Ywriter 6.6.1.1 , project corrupted, cant open win 10 (Critical)

Håvard Sethre

Oct 29, 2020, 1:21:51 PM10/29/20
to yWriter
Happend in a .yw5 project, in win 10

After update that went automaticly ,and when open a new scene I
got the message that its unable to save the scene.
It popped up again every minute or so.

I closed down and opened again.
Now project extraction failed when I try to open it.
Looking at the rtf files, the changes done in the already opened
files after the update is there.
The nes scene is not there, as  expexted I guess, since it was unable to save scene.

Log file  is attatched

Log.txt

Simon Haynes

Oct 29, 2020, 1:55:17 PM10/29/20
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Can you tell me what this says?

13:08:18 Inndatastrengen hadde ugyldig format. in GenerateRTFFilename

string has invalid format?

Either way, it tried to generate an RTF filename for the scene and wasn't able to do so.

I would highly recommend using YW6 or YW7 format projects in future, although that won't help now.

If you zip the RTF5 folder and the YW5 project file together and email them to me offlist, I will see if I can fix the file and then email you back the project as a YW7.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Håvard Sethre

Oct 30, 2020, 6:01:40 AM10/30/20
to yWriter
Your translation-skills from norwegian is excelent :)
It means  string has invalid format

For my own purpose,  dont need to make this project work again, as its just a couple of lyrics that I keep going on in the text-files themselves.
Or do you need it to figure something out?

This problem may have started because I moved the project from an old win 7 with yw5 to an updated  win 10 computer.

I have a lot of .yw5 projects though.
Should I stay in with them on my old win laptop, or will it be ok to open them up and save it as .yw6 or .yw7 files you think?

Thanks for the support, help and great effort!

Håvard

Simon Haynes

Oct 30, 2020, 6:19:40 AM10/30/20
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
The main problem you might run into is opening a YW5 project, then adding a new scene to it. The error indicates it's not saving the scene content file.

So, converting to YW7 is safest.

If it were me, I'd copy just the YW5 project file and RTF5 folder into a new folder called 'project name NEW' and then I'd open this YW5 with yWriter 7.

Next, I'd convert it to YW7 format and save it out. Exit yWriter.

Next, I'd delete the YW5 project and RTF5 folder in this NEW folder (not the original, obviously).

And lastly, I'd move the original project folder (the whole thing) into a zip file and put it somewhere safe. Name it YW5 original + the project name.

Finally, I'd rename the 'project name NEW' folder to just 'project name'

That's what I've done over the years with my approx 30 novels, across multiple versions of yWriter.

Håvard Sethre

Oct 30, 2020, 6:34:12 AM10/30/20
to yWriter
Thanks!
Great recipe!
Will do!

Charles Atanasio

Feb 10, 2022, 9:55:09 PM2/10/22
to yWriter
I have a similar problem.  My old computer died, I got all the data transferred to a new machine.  My projects were on a USB drive, but when I tried to access them (after setting up yWriter5 on the new machine) it didn't work.

Instead I got a popup saying "project extraction failed".

How did you solve this problem?

Simon Haynes

Feb 10, 2022, 9:58:24 PM2/10/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
100% it's because an RTF file is missing. If you check the log, you can create a blank RTF file with the correct name and it will load just fine.