"Problem Words"

Rock Whitehouse

Mar 26, 2024, 9:35:21 AMMar 26
to yWriter
As Autocrit and Scrivener will tell you, I have a serious problem with problem words.

In that, I use far too many. It asks me to remove 284 'that's from my latest work. Ouch.

yWriter will find problem words, but I really wanted something that will highlight them as I'm writing. That (there's that that word again) could be considered an enhancement request, I suppose, but I discovered a work-around within yWriter that I thought I'd share.

I don't use Locations or Items. So, I've loaded the list of my worst offenders as Locations and changed the Location color in the current scheme to something I recognize.

POOF: as-you-type notification of your 'problem words.'  This has really (another PW) sped up my remedial editing, allowing me to see at a glance where they are and how to revise sentences to get rid of what I can get rid of.  People use 'that' in normal speech, so I have to be careful not to make all my characters sound like MFA grads.

I'm sure Items would work just as well, but I haven't tried that.

So, offered FWIW. Others may have other solutions, but this is suddenly (PW) working well for me.

Keep up the great work, Simon, but please no more fussing with the RTF export.

-Rock

Keith Brady

May 7, 2024, 3:20:41 AMMay 7
to yWriter
Hi Rock,

I've just been looking at ways to help me in this area and wanted to thank you for this idea!

I had been thinking of a 'reverse' dictionary that would highlight words and cliches but locations will suit me as well atm.

Cheers, Keith

Peter T.

May 7, 2024, 3:55:36 AMMay 7
to yWriter
Just a hint on this topic:
yWriter can import locations in bulk with Project > Import into current project > Locations

If you manage to create a dictionary of "location names" as an XML file, they will be added to the project's locations in one go.
This is how such an XML file looks like (the titles are the "dictionary entries"):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LOCATIONS>
        <LOCATION>
            <Title>Fubar</Title>
        </LOCATION>
        <LOCATION>
            <Title>Snafu</Title>
        </LOCATION>
</LOCATIONS>

Converting a text list into such an XML file is quite an easy task for a script.

You can also transfer existing locations from one yWriter project to another by creating such an XML file via Project > Export Data > Locations

Keith Brady

May 7, 2024, 4:05:56 AMMay 7
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Understood. Thanks mate.