Storyboard feature under Tools menu greyed out? - yWriter7

Jonah

Jun 6, 2022, 6:15:28 PM6/6/22
to yWriter
Hi, I seem to remember in previous versions there was some sort of way to see  a timeline of your story in a graphic - but I can't seem to find this feature in yWriter 7.  Is it the storyboard feature?  If so, why is it blanked out (ie. unclickable).  I have my scene times ordered by Day/Hour/Minute - but I don't have characters specified.  Do I need to add characters for it to work, or something else?

Simon Haynes

Jun 6, 2022, 8:03:25 PM6/6/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Need to have characters yes, as it shows the scenes organised per character.

On Tue, 7 Jun 2022 at 06:15, Jonah <ceta...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I seem to remember in previous versions there was some sort of way to see  a timeline of your story in a graphic - but I can't seem to find this feature in yWriter 7.  Is it the storyboard feature?  If so, why is it blanked out (ie. unclickable).  I have my scene times ordered by Day/Hour/Minute - but I don't have characters specified.  Do I need to add characters for it to work, or something else?

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Peter T.

Jun 7, 2022, 9:59:54 AM6/7/22
to yWriter
On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 12:15:28 AM UTC+2 Jonah wrote:
 I have my scene times ordered by Day/Hour/Minute

Remember, though, that the storyboard depicts the scene flow, which can only be seen as a timeline if you narrate in a linear fashion, that is, if you arrange the scenes chronologically without flashbacks or time jumps.
If you need a real timeline, there are 3rd party tools that can be combined with yWriter. This makes it easier to keep track of the time and date of the scenes, and to enter and change them.

For more information, see this thread:

Jonah

Jun 8, 2022, 4:33:14 AM6/8/22
to yWriter
Thank you both, I normally write only from the POV of one character in my stories and they don't have a large cast so don't add characters - but I did write one a series with multiple viewponts so I think that was where I must have used this feature.

And thanks, Peter, for the link. which I will check out.  A tool like that did something like that would be useful as I often decide to change the day a particlar scene happens, and at the moment I don't think there is a way to change the day of every scene following it except manually (I could be very wrong, though!)