bugged software or bugged computer?

Henry Boleszny

Apr 20, 2024, 9:52:46 PMApr 20
to Simon
Hi Simon,

I was using yWriter with no problems until about two weeks ago. Two issues are now cropping up consistently in old and new projects. They are really annoying.

1.    When a scene is open and the character tab view is selected, only the characters short name appears in the list. The full table appears fine in the character tab on the main window.  While this might not be a problem with only four or five characters, my story has a cast of over a hundred. Not all are major, but all have an important role to play. I need to see all their details at a glance.

2.    When italics is selected for a body of text hitting save (either CTRL+S or the save button) updates that scene in the main program window as well as in the scene. All text shown in the main program window resets to normal text, without any italics or bold formatting. Closing the scene, then re-opening it has all italics and bold formatting removed. Strangely, underlining is retained.

I know this program is not meant to be used to format text. But there are times when it is necessary while drafting or writing a novel.  For example, when a character receives a letter and a portion of it is important for the reader to have directly, rather than be told what the contents are in summary form.

My question is this: did a recent update to version 7.1.5.2 have some bugs in it, or is my computer in need of a visit to the dump?

I know these are fairly trivial in the grand scheme of other issues that writers have to deal with (the absence of coffee being of critical importance). However, this is beyond frustrating, now.

Henry

Simon Haynes

Jun 18, 2024, 4:21:37 AMJun 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Number 1 is fixed for the next beta

For the second item, do you mean you're setting the entire scene to italics?

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Henry Boleszny

Jun 18, 2024, 7:06:28 AMJun 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon. No, just a line or two. I thought it might be a graphics driver issue at my end. Tried the text in yWriter 5 and the problem didn't repeat itself.
Thanks for replying.  I had forgotten sending that email.
Henry

Jun 18, 2024, 7:16:42 AMJun 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I keep them in the todo folder, just been very busy away from the computer the past few months. Now it's cold and rainy here it's a good time to be indoors instead of outside.

Uploading the new beta now. Not sure about the italics, that seems to be working here.