Query on yWriter 6

John Pilge

Sep 20, 2021, 8:09:12 AM9/20/21
to yWriter
How do I delete a chapter?
I have moved all the scenes to another chapter and cannot delete the old chapter.
I have marked the old chapter  as Unused and Other.
It has zero words.
Failing that; is there any way to go into the RTF files and find out which number file refers to the chapeter so I can delete it there?
-Johnp

Peter T.

Sep 20, 2021, 2:31:32 PM9/20/21
to yWriter
Johnp,

this works for me:
- Select the chapter you want to delete.
Main menu > Chapter > Remove selected Chapter(s)

To answer your second question, the chapters are not stored in RTF files. For each scene there is one in the old yw5 format, but the chapter structure is stored in the .yw5 file. If you simply delete individual files, you will damage your project. It is safer to use the new yw7 format, where the entire project is in a single file.

I can definitely recommend you to upgrade to yWriter 7 and convert your projects to the yWriter7 format:
Main menu > Project > Project Settings > Misc Settings

Cheers,
Peter

John Pilge

Oct 7, 2021, 2:07:15 AM10/7/21
to yWriter
Yes,
   That worked for deleting a chapter.  I appreciate your suggestion to move to tWriter 7. I actukally tried it before doing the one I have now (6). There was a conflict with one of my other programs and yWriter 7. So I went to yWriter 6.It is a wee bit different than other editors. But very useful for the stories with multiple characters/scenes and chapters.  I was telling a scriptwriter about yWriter and he was envious of some of the features. (You can dray a sscene to a different chapter!)