Corruption & YW7 can't unpack

Jonni Kovacich

Sep 10, 2022, 12:43:02 PM9/10/22
to yWriter
Simon,

I've been using ywriter for years, mostly yWriter5.  I have a book of poetry that I add to occasionally, so it's been around a while.  I recently loaded yWriter7 in one of my VM's to access the poetry folder and post selections to a social media group, and it reported that it could not unpack the file.  (It previously had opened it without error several times.)

I went back to the original computer and opened with yW5 and found that it had a corrupt scene (fortunately in an archive chapter, not the published version.)

Anyway, I deleted the offending scene and still can't unpack it in yW7.

Let me know if you want me to help you diagnose this.

Peter T.

Sep 10, 2022, 5:26:03 PM9/10/22
to yWriter
On Saturday, September 10, 2022 at 6:43:02 PM UTC+2 jonni wrote:

Anyway, I deleted the offending scene and still can't unpack it in yW7.

By "offending scene" do you mean an RTF file?
In this case you should not simply delete it, but provide yWriter with some intact RTF file of the same name. The thing is that in yWriter5 format there must be an RTF file for each scene.

Please check if your problem matches with the one discussed in this thread:
https://groups.google.com/g/ywriter/c/tOV98xI4fgU

In any case, it makes sense to convert your projects to the yWriter 7 file format, thus such errors cannot happen.

Cheers,
Peter

Jonni Kovacich

Sep 10, 2022, 10:25:06 PM9/10/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
The corrupt scene (rtf) was replaced with an empty file as part of yWriter5 recovery.  yW7 refused to open the file completely.  Once I had the recovered file and determined that the lost rtf was of no consequence, I removed it from the project.

I have a LOT of projects in yW5.  Most of them are already formatted and published, so I may never have a need to go back to them, but I don't see any advantages in 7, in fact the page for 7 says, " YW5 and YW6 projects load and save from yWriter7 just fine. No importing, no converting."

So I simply installed 5 again and all is well, but this must be a bug and worth reporting.

Simon Haynes

Sep 13, 2022, 7:15:15 AM9/13/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Yep, the older projects can be loaded and saved in yWriter 7, but I still recommend converting to the YW7 format. Back then, the older versions of the program couldn't open YW7 files, and now they can.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "yWriter" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ywriter/CAOa-Ytk1Mk0_2OYUt2a3ty%3DNFjMLXU0RxDh4b9rNULL4JxQm6g%40mail.gmail.com.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.