Possible bug in scene reordering???

Rock Whitehouse

Apr 11, 2024, 11:10:32 AMApr 11
to yWriter
I started a new project today. I can't move a scene within a chapter.

If I open an older project, I can.

I've looked at the .ini file and the .yw7 files and I cannot find a setting that might be the culprit.
I am on V7.1.5.2. Windows is 10.0.19045 which was updated a few days ago.

I rebooted, uninstalled YW6 and YW7 and then reinstalled Version 7.

No change.

Here is the end of the debug file:
10:59:27 Alternate backup failed in frmMain:MakeAltBackup
10:59:30 1 action(s) in the main screen queue.
10:59:31 1 action(s) in the main screen queue.
11:00:04 2 action(s) in the main screen queue.
11:00:07 2 action(s) in the main screen queue.
11:00:18 ExtraLogging: SJLScenes_SelectedIndexChanged

In this test, it did reorder one scene, but refused to put it back or change any others.

Any thoughts? Please tell me I'm missing something obvious.

Rock Whitehouse

Apr 12, 2024, 2:26:54 PMApr 12
to yWriter
FWIW I've done some more experiments and I think it's related to projects created recently, likely after the latest Windows update. I still can't find anything in the .ini or .yw7 files to account for it. File properties also don't help.

As a test, I copied an older, minimal .yw7 file I had started for another project over, appended the 'bad' project, and scene reordering works.

Still stumped but going ahead with the crossbred project.

Rock Whitehouse

Apr 12, 2024, 3:49:52 PMApr 12
to yWriter
Ok never mind after a few successful moves it quit and now it won't work at all.

Rock Whitehouse

Apr 13, 2024, 4:00:24 PMApr 13
to yWriter
FWIW I uninstalled 7.1.5.2 and re-installed 7.1.3.0 and the problem is gone.

Todd Carnes

Apr 13, 2024, 8:28:49 PMApr 13
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

That's odd. I'm using 7.1.5.2 and I can drag scenes around and rearrange them without any issues.

Rock Whitehouse

Apr 14, 2024, 6:51:32 PMApr 14
to yWriter
I'm wondering if something in the latest Windows update broke something 7.1.5.2 was depending on. It really seemed to me that it was only broken after that update. If you look at the change log, at 7.1.5.2 yWriter is not using the Windows List Control anymore.

I'm just glad it works and I can get back to rewriting a book I thought I was almost done with.

AND I'm glad I suddenly remembered to use WordPad to simplify the RTF in the new export. (Head slip) (DUH!)  Had I remembered that a few weeks ago I would not have blown two days redoing my post-processor.

Ah, well, live and learn.