yWriter7 release updated

Simon Haynes

Jan 17, 2024, 1:58:18 AMJan 17
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

I've updated yWriter 7 Release version to 7.1.4.0, which is the current Beta version as well.

My one remaining doubt is whether the app will work properly with screenreaders, given my new custom listviews used throughout the software.

Just in case there's a compatibility issue, the previous version (7.1.3.0) has a permanent home on my website here: https://www.spacejock.com/yWriter7130/yWriter7Full.exe

Cheers
Simon

--
Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Henry Boleszny

Jan 17, 2024, 7:50:06 PMJan 17
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the new updated version. I love the look.

However, I've noticed two things: copying is easy but paste always adds the text twice. It isn't me holding control-V longer on the keyboard, either.

The other thing I noticed, which was also happening on Version 7.1.3.0, was a delay between clicking in the main window on a scene and that scene finally opening. It might be my PC, though I still have older stories on Version 5 and 6 that do not have that problem.

Is there some setting I've overlooked, or should I be looking at a new PC with more memory?

Version 7.1.4.0 on Windows 11, if that helps.

Cheers,

Henry

Jan 17, 2024, 8:31:52 PMJan 17
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,

Found another bug. All the columns in the Location, Character and Item lists are about 5 pixels wide. Reorganising them isn't possible, which means columns that I don't use are taking up screen space while making it impossible to see what I need at a glance. Adjusting the column at the extreme right is impossible because there's no scroll bar to get even find its border. Auto-adjusting column widths by clicking on the border as was possible under 1.7.3.0 doesn't work, either.

Is this a Windows 11 rendering issue? The delay in the main windows responding to an on-click event (such as open a scene) or highlighting a scene or chapter on roll-over is much more noticeable on my computer now.

I've had to revert to 1.7.3.0 for now because the issues are making it difficult to proceed.

Cheers,

Henry.

Jan 18, 2024, 12:51:40 AMJan 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I replaced the Paste command with my own, so that it gets a chance to convert unrecognised formats (html, for example).  Unfortunately, the built-in windows paste is firing on press, and then mine is firing on key release.

I just need to suppress the Windows paste. Looking into that now.

Re the slowness opening a scene, how many words in the scene and do you have all the highlighting turned on (characters, locations, items, spell check, etc?)

Simon Haynes

Jan 18, 2024, 12:55:08 AMJan 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
If you right-click on a list column header, there's an 'autosize' button which will return the lists to a readable state.

I'll look into why it's making them so narrow by default. Autosize is meant to be enabled until you manually resize a column.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 at 09:31, Henry Boleszny <ozh...@live.com.au> wrote:

Helena Nilsson

Jan 18, 2024, 10:48:50 AMJan 18
to yWriter
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is a pesky beta bug or just the UI being a little wonky, but when I try to reorganise scenes in ywriter 7 (7.1.4.0) by drag-and-drop I can only move scenes higher up in the list, not further down (extremely cumbersome in a chapter w. many scenes which I added in the wrong order). Also, there is no indication where the scene will land, unlike in ywriter 6.

I checked in ywriter 6 (to be sure it wasn't just windows 11 making a mess of things) and there I had no problem rearranging scenes, and while dragging a scene there's a visual indication on which scene it will land before/after (personally I would have liked even better to see a line where the scene will land but as long as I have any kind of visual I'm happy).

P.S. Thank you so much for all the hard work you've put into this program. It's hands down my favourite writing software to use and it makes all manners of projects so much easier. I've tried using a similar software with fancier bling in the visuals, but it wasn't anywhere near as efficient or user friendly.

Peter T.

Jan 18, 2024, 2:58:51 PMJan 18
to yWriter
Hi Helena,

your problem can also be reproduced with the beta version 7.1.3.8. You' may want to install version 7.1.3.0, which Simon linked to at the beginning of the thread, as it doesn't have this bug.

By the way: If you have been using yWriter 6 up to now, you could check whether you are still using the yw6 or yw5 file format and upgrade to yw7 if you wish.

Cheers,
Peter

Simon Haynes

Jan 18, 2024, 3:03:48 PMJan 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I'll look into this tomorrow - I've been using this version for months now, but something always slips through!

Loni

Jan 21, 2024, 8:40:14 AMJan 21
to yWriter
I can't seem to change the theme in 7.1.4.0. I don't particularly like the new highlight turning the text gray because it looks disabled to me, so I tried to change it, but all the theme options appear to be ignored. I get that the little box to the far left indicates it isn't disabled, but it takes more time to look for that soft shade of pink instead of at-a-glance dark text.

disabled-looking-highlight.png

Simon Haynes

Jan 21, 2024, 8:59:04 AMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
After you select a theme in the dropdown, click Load to read it in.

You have to save your theme before you can apply it too, I think. It's a couple of years now since I last looked at that feature.

Loni

Jan 21, 2024, 9:02:07 AMJan 21
to yWriter
I normally use the default theme, but I tried picking Dark > Load > Apply Theme > OK. It didn't change any colors.

Loni

Jan 21, 2024, 9:09:36 AMJan 21
to yWriter
I've set the scene list to green, which is what it was already even though it shows gray, but I hit save as, apply theme, ok, but it doesn't change the text color of highlighted scenes.
not-green.png

Todd Carnes

Jan 21, 2024, 9:45:14 AMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

For what it's worth, I gave up on changing themes a long time ago. I've NEVER been able to get themes to work, not even in 7.1.3.0.

Simon Haynes

Jan 21, 2024, 9:53:39 AMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I use it for my chosen colour scheme, I haven't fiddled with it for ages.

The procedure is to pick a scheme from the dropdown then click Load. The theme will change in the form, then you click Apply Theme:

image.png

Two controls can't be changed (used to be three, but I wrote my own custom list view.).  The ones that are fixed are the Tab control (which I'm going to take a look at replacing next) and the separator lines in the drop-down menus.

This is after changing the 'Trash' chapter and clicking apply - but I haven't saved the theme, so on next load it will revert.

image.png

Simon Haynes

Jan 21, 2024, 9:55:37 AMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I think I know why this is - the scene list applies different colours depending on whether the scene is a note, a to-do, or a regular scene. That's overriding the theme colour choice.

I can fix that now.

Loni

Jan 21, 2024, 10:05:09 AMJan 21
to yWriter
I just want it to be a different text color than gray if it's highlighted, because it's the same gray as "unused". I don't know if that's an option, though, looking through the different theme choices. I'm okay if it's red for ToDo or blue for Notes. I just don't want it to be gray while highlighted if it's not unused.

Simon Haynes

Jan 21, 2024, 10:12:10 AMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I've looked at the code, and I used the wrong variable for the scene list colour. Will fix that now.

Loni

Jan 21, 2024, 10:30:25 AMJan 21
to yWriter
I am also experiencing problems opening a scene after opening the project/slowness of opening. It's inconsistent. I double click it, it flashes a bit, but doesn't open. I keep trying. I had to click off to another scene then back to the scene I wanted to get it to open. I tried again to replicate it, by closing the program, opening it, then trying to open the scene it was last on by double clicking it. It worked after like the second try. Then I tried again, closing the program, opening it, double clicking the scene. After about 3 or 4 tries, I clicked to another scene and clicked back, and then it opened. No highlighting in the scene, 2869 words, minimal italics usage.

Simon Haynes

Jan 21, 2024, 10:37:03 AMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Try pressing enter after selecting the scene.

For some reason it's reacting too quickly to the clicks, and ignoring the double click. I'll tweak this too.

Loni

Jan 21, 2024, 10:47:49 AMJan 21
to yWriter
Hitting enter does consistently open it.

I have found it adds a blank space at the beginning of the scene every time I either open it or save it (I don't know which). Either way, I end up with an extra space after opening a scene, and if I've opened it and closed it multiple times, it adds another space each time. I hit save and exit when I close a scene.

Simon Haynes

Jan 21, 2024, 2:29:44 PMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Is that a YW7 project file or one of the earlier ones?

Loni

Jan 21, 2024, 2:42:11 PMJan 21
to yWriter
It's a .yw7 file, though I can't remember if I converted it way back when or if I created it new as a yw7 project. I think it might've been converted, but it was over a year ago. I switched to 7 when it first came out. The space adding is new to 7.1.4.0. Scrolling through and looking at the different scenes in different chapters, without opening the scenes (just clicking on them) they all seem to have an extra space at the start of the scene.
extra-space.png

Simon Haynes

Jan 21, 2024, 3:49:08 PMJan 21
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Just uploaded 7.1.4.1 with a couple of fixes. More tomorrow, it's 4am here.

Peter Barns

Jan 22, 2024, 10:20:45 AMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon

One to add to your list on the new update.

If I use the links on the top menu bar for characters, locations, or tools, I can only move up one level now and not progress to the next level. Bit of a nuisance as I prefer the new set up and don't really want to go back.

Regards
Pete

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 10:24:44 AMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Not sure which levels you're referring to?

Peter Barns

Jan 22, 2024, 10:45:24 AMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Click say location and you used to be able to add a picture. Same with the other two. I use this function a lot. Also can anyone tell me what the @ attached to some chapters is for please?

Thanks
Pete

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 10:52:23 AMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
@ as a prefix was a way to suppress the chapter title on export.  # suppresses the chapter break.

These are now checkboxes in the settings page for each chapter though.

Re the picture, you mean this tab?

image.png

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 10:59:04 AMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Re the drag/dropping issue, try clicking the scene in the list first (so it's highlighed) then click again and drag.

I need to update the code so holding the mouse on one scene selects it.

Simon Haynes

Jan 22, 2024, 11:07:59 AMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Okay, the click and drag-dropping should work now.

Peter Barns

Jan 22, 2024, 11:16:03 AMJan 22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon

Yes that's the one although I can get to it using the links on the lower scenes, project notes, etc tabs.

Also I'm having trouble highlighting a search result. Is it me or is something wrong here?

Regards
Pete

Simon Haynes

Jan 23, 2024, 2:49:50 AMJan 23
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Re search highlighting, turns out the search was trying to display the result before the scene content preview window had been filled.  I've changed the order of things so the update happens first, then the result is selected.

Peter Barns

Jan 23, 2024, 4:13:30 AMJan 23
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Simon

You're a stonker!

Pete

Peter Barns

Jan 23, 2024, 9:55:26 AMJan 23
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon

I think I've read the answer to this somewhere but can't remember where. Perhaps you can help?
When I save and exit a scene it adds a space at the beginning but not when I just save it.

Regards
Pete

Simon Haynes

Jan 23, 2024, 1:06:27 PMJan 23
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

I've added a .trim to the end of the conversion from RTF (which is what the text editor uses). Hopefully that will remove any stray spaces.

Today I updated yWriter8 to .net8 and uploaded a version equivalent to the current yWriter7 release.

Peter Barns

Jan 23, 2024, 1:08:07 PMJan 23