Linux

Todd Carnes

Feb 15, 2024, 10:14:41 PMFeb 15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
If I wanted to run yWriter on my Linux laptop, would it be better to run
it with wine or mono?

Simon Haynes

Feb 15, 2024, 11:57:20 PMFeb 15
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Wine for sure.  Just install dotnet 4.8 on it and it should run perfectly.

Last time I checked mono still had a bug where if you assign 'DialogResult = ' anything it immediately closed the form, whereas in Windows it runs the code afterwards.

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 at 11:14, Todd Carnes <toddc...@gmail.com> wrote:
If I wanted to run yWriter on my Linux laptop, would it be better to run
it with wine or mono?

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Todd Carnes

Feb 16, 2024, 12:26:04 AMFeb 16
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

2Wordy

Feb 20, 2024, 12:19:41 PMFeb 20
to yWriter
I can't get yWriter7 [or even yWriter5] to install on linux [Zorin 16.3 variety]. I'm a newbie to linux. I found what I think is a workable dot net 4.8 on an archive site. Microsoft no longer lists it. Neither 'Wine' nor 'Bottle' will install it. Wine freezes half way into the install. The  Zorin users forum wasn't much help. So, how do I get dot net 4.8 installed, or is there a newer/better version of it ?

Thanks in advance.

Simon Haynes

Feb 20, 2024, 12:40:15 PMFeb 20
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

Simon Haynes

Feb 20, 2024, 12:40:49 PMFeb 20
to ywr...@googlegroups.com

2Wordy

Mar 7, 2024, 7:46:44 PMMar 7
to yWriter
HI Todd,
I had installed Zorin 16.3 LIte on a desktop machine and on a laptop. I had zero luck installing and running yWriter 5 or 7. On another laptop, with 15.3 Lite on it, I copied the yWriter5 folders to it. It ran when I clicked on the exe file. I didn't have to do an install. I could not get yWriter 7 to run from it's folders, nor could I get it to install and run.

I have no experience with other Linux distributions.

Perhaps other yWriter users can share their Linux successes.

- Erik

Todd Carnes

Mar 7, 2024, 7:49:45 PMMar 7
to ywr...@googlegroups.com