Bug: Export from .yw7 to .ywc5 actually exports in yWriter 7 .yw7 format

Lisa S

Apr 3, 2022, 5:17:40 PM4/3/22
to yWriter
I tried to export a project from yWriter 7 back to yWriter 5. I used, "Export selected Chapters -> to yWriter5 format" because that is the only way I can see to do it.  I get a dialog saying, "Your chapters were exported to <projectdirectory>\Export\Exported_Chapters_082.ywc5"

But what is *really* exported is: <projectdirectory>\Export\Exported_Chapters_082.yw7 (and it creates a whole new file structure in the Export Directory, so I get Export, Logs, etc. under the Export directory).

This is on Windows 8.1 with the most recent copy of yWriter 7 newly re-installed.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Lisa

Simon Haynes

Apr 3, 2022, 8:02:12 PM4/3/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
ywc5 was a short-lived file format where all the scene detail was included in the one file (which YW7 does anyway.)

You can't export to YW5, but you can convert the whole project to that format.  Not sure why you'd want to, though, as yWriter5 will open and use YW7 projects.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.