Reports without outline scenes

John Patten

May 30, 2022, 6:39:43 PM5/30/22
to yWriter
I would like to read my chapter without my construction outline scenes. It's full of junk that kills the flow of the story.   I cannot find the report configuration that will filter out outlines.
Is it an option? Is there a tag or check box I need to use to hide them? I tried setting them as unused but they still show up in the report .
If it is in the FAQs, I have missed it. Tell me what key words I should search on?

Raises another question
Is there a way to render a report that only shows the Final Drafts?  I have not found that function yet
That I'm not finding other people asking about this, makes me think I have not found the right buttons to do it.

Thanks
John.

Simon Haynes

May 30, 2022, 6:43:33 PM5/30/22
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Project - Export - Export to HTML is a good choice. By default it will not include unused scenes or anything within scenes which you mark with /* comment tags like this */

Export to Ebook creates better html than export to HTML does, too.

Both will open in your system default browser.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

John Patten

May 30, 2022, 11:10:20 PM5/30/22
to yWriter
Thanks, because I'm a new user of yWriter. I didn't realize if I moved the text into the lower text field,  It's invisible but for a " No scene content" report in the report. I can live with that for now.
And when I export to HTML like you recommended, even the spacer tags go away.
00000000000.JPG

Peter T.

May 31, 2022, 3:42:29 AM5/31/22
to yWriter
Hi John,

your screenshot looks like you're creating a framework of dramaturgical instructions into which you then insert your actual scenes. If so, this would be a good application for the "Todo" scene type. Such scenes are marked in a different color and are usually not exported. The same is the case for "Notes" scenes.

If you do it this way, you won't have to move your text into the "Description" field, which is actually meant for content summaries.

Here's how:

screenshot.png

Cheers,
Peter

Clifford Farris

May 31, 2022, 11:59:19 AM5/31/22
to yWriter
Hello Simon,

My export to ebook in yWriter7 (updated) asks me to select an ebook exporter. How do I do this?

I have checked the manuals, wiki groups, and done internet searches.

Export to mobi works fine, although Kindle will not accept it. I have to reconvert with Calibre first. Works then.

Thanks.

Cliff Farris

Peter T.

May 31, 2022, 12:51:21 PM5/31/22
to yWriter
Hi Cliff,

As it looks, you first need to create an "exporter" that contains, among other things, metadata about your ebook that may not be saved with the project. This data set gets a name that you can use to select it for each export process, so that you don't have to enter everything again.

Once you have created one or more exporters, you can select the appropriate one with the dropdown menu next to "Create Ebook".

An example:

screenshot.png

I hope this helps,
Peter

John Patten

Jun 28, 2022, 10:06:02 PM6/28/22
to yWriter
Thanks. That works even better. I figure while I'm learning this, I need all the reminders and structure I can get.