Difficulties keeping yWriter7 on the right screen

Patchwork Cat Writing

Mar 18, 2024, 12:58:24 AMMar 18
to yWriter
Hi,

Somehow yWriter keeps using the smaller laptop screen, and not the bigger monitor attached to it.

How do I get yWriter to behave and use the bigger screen permanently?

I am using Windows 11

Cheers.

Patchwork Cat.

Peter T.

Mar 18, 2024, 10:53:20 AMMar 18
to yWriter
On Monday, March 18, 2024 at 5:58:24 AM UTC+1 Patchwork Cat Writing wrote:
Somehow yWriter keeps using the smaller laptop screen, and not the bigger monitor attached to it.
How do I get yWriter to behave and use the bigger screen permanently?

I don't know what exactly you have configured and how you work. However, I have some experience with multi-monitor operation.
Here are some hints:
  • If you connect a large screen to your laptop and then unplug it in between to operate the laptop on its own, the screen coordinates might get mixed up for your applications at the next start. I don't know how Win 11 handles this; with Win 7 this was an issue.
  • In "Extended Desktop" operation, make sure the big monitor is configured as the main screen in the Windows settings.
  • If you can do without the small monitor, disable the "Extended Desktop" in the windows settings and just close the laptop. That's how I do it.
Good luck,
Peter

Simon Haynes

Mar 18, 2024, 11:01:02 AMMar 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
yWriter should use the last screen it was closed on, but I just checked and while the splash screen displays on the previous screen, the main screen itself appears on the main screen.

I can take a look at this soon.

Visit Spacejock Software, the home of yWriter, FCharts and more
Visit spacejock.com.au for my articles on writing and publishing novels.

Simon Haynes

Mar 18, 2024, 11:06:36 AMMar 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
Found the reason - ywriter's main screen is defined as 'centered' which means it's always placed in the center of the primary screen on open.

I can change this so that it's centered on whichever screen it was last using, assuming that screen exists.

Simon Haynes

Mar 18, 2024, 11:42:04 AMMar 18
to ywr...@googlegroups.com
I had to rewrite a bit of code to override windows' "center this on the main screen", but it's working now.  Will be in the next beta, but I want to take a look at that RTF include/centering before I release anything.